Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Show More
Flag Jessa December 15, 2009 7:51 PM EST

Hi everyone!

I didn't see one particular "Introduce Yourself"-type thread, so I figured I'd start one since I want to introduce myself anyway. Smile

I just joined Beliefnet.  I have been looking for an online community of UUs, and I couldn't find one, so I hoped to find a thriving one here.  It looks like I did!  I have been a part of my UU church for about three years now.  I live in Dallas, TX.  I guess I am here to "meet" other UUs outside my little church circle.  There aren't very many of us around here.  So, hi.  I look forward to getting to know you all. 

Flag Michteach1972 December 19, 2009 9:28 AM EST

Hello to all!  This thread is a wonderful idea.

I have not joined the UU as an offical member, but I think that what I know, believe, and have faith in definitely is part of this organization.  This fits for this portion of my life.

I am a former non-practicing Catholic, and have studied the beginnings of Christianity and Catholicism.  The first meaning of Catholic is universal.  What Jesus did was challenge the social structure of the culture he lived in overall.  The current culture of materialism, greed, and media obession in America is of great concern to me.  For me personally I connect to Jesus, yet can glee truth from many other spiritual pathways.  I even understand those who do not believe in God yet seek a spiritual way of life. 

I am on a spiritual quest right now trying to make my own personal connection to the divine.  I have no need or want to influence or change anyone else, and that leads me to this community.

Flag Brownowl33 December 20, 2009 9:46 AM EST

HI there!  Do you go to First Dallas Unitarian in Highland Park?  That is my home church, too, though I haven't been in a few weeks.

Flag Wbsterling December 27, 2009 10:19 AM EST

So at this late stage in my life, after meandering through most Eastern religions, after a Jesuit education that posited questions but no answers, I find myself looking for a more settled spiritual base. So here I am, wondering if UU would work for me . . . structure does not appeal to me so I need something that allows for freedom . . . I am looking, I think.

Flag Jessa December 29, 2009 1:48 PM EST

Dec 20, 2009 -- 9:46AM, Brownowl33 wrote:

HI there!  Do you go to First Dallas Unitarian in Highland Park?  That is my home church, too, though I haven't been in a few weeks.

Yes, I do!  I have been slacking a bit in attending lately.  I can't seem to find my "niche" there, you know?  I taught RE for two years, so this year I knew I needed a break.  But since I don't have a reason to HAVE to be there every week, I find I stay in bed more often than not. :/

Flag Jessa December 29, 2009 2:02 PM EST

Michteach1972 and Wbsterling:

It seems to me that UU may be a good fit for you guys. :)

Michteach1972: Have you checked out the Unity church?  I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to lean a lot more towards Christianity and a connection with Jesus than UU's do, from my experience.  I HAVE heard of UU Christians, but I am beginning to think they are mythical creatures. I have never encountered one. :)

Flag Driab January 16, 2010 6:23 PM EST

I just found out about UU. Going to my first service tomorrow. I hope it works for me considering I need a spiritual rewaking reborn into my life. I lost faith in Christianity due to experiences and understanding. But I believe in God. I know I tapped into something and my soul yearns for something bigger than myself. Would love to meet other people who share the same beliefs as me or to meet people who want to share there beliefs with me.

Flag Crescendo January 24, 2010 6:13 AM EST

Hey-

I'm Megan, a 17 year old from NJ on a quest to find a group of like minded spiritual individuals as qI struggle with Depression. I'm going to check out my town's UU church this morning, and am really excited that I found a faith that is open minded as I am. I love the core principle that everyone is inherently good. I like to write prayers, meditate, and do reflective writing in my spiritual practices. Laughing

-Megan

Flag Syzygy February 9, 2010 3:40 PM EST

saw a video of the UU and thought it was for me. hope all goes well.

Flag Thomasina-eve- May 15, 2010 3:00 PM EDT

Thought I introduce myself.  I have already posted a couple time on the UU threads.

I was raised in the UU church - my parnets went back to the UU church when I was in the 4th grade.  So, that makes me pretty much a life long UU.  I been looking on the internet to connect with other UU's. 

Flag Jupiter6208 May 22, 2010 5:49 PM EDT

I have been thinking like a UU all my life  so maybe it's for me  i was raised Christian and my wife is jewish  and our 2 yr old daughter is learning from both i think it would be perfect for her how does one join a uu church?

Flag Sarah June 10, 2010 2:40 PM EDT

Hi, I'm new here... I've recently started going to a Unitarian church in the UK and I love it. I was formerly an evangelical Christian in my youth and more recently was into Islam, but in the end I don't believe any religion is Truth. I am happy making sense of life as best I can within a Unitarian community.

Flag Notbisyb June 12, 2010 3:19 AM EDT

Just checking things out with your religious organization.  I am rebuilding my faith in a higher power and started at the bare basics with atheism.  After some study and contemplation, I'd call myself (somewhat humorously) a spiritual atheist.  I don't know that I believe in an omniscient "God" but I do believe in a loving and creative force... I am a social creature however so it would be nice to find a place where I could question and communicate and feel a part of something bigger.  Just doing some spiritual wandering...and thinking about attending a service.  I know that there is a congreagtion in my neighborhood.  Now to get up the nerve to go... 

Flag Gingersnapwa June 22, 2010 1:52 AM EDT

Hi. I have recently become a member of a UU church. I was a Christian for many years, then yoga, buddhism, and too many unanswered prayers led me away from that one path. My main interest is Integral Spirituality, in melding the common principles of the major religions together, instead of fighting about the differences.

Flag kuriboshoe July 17, 2010 9:11 AM EDT

Hi, I'm introducing myself. I consider myself UU, but I haven't formally joined the church yet. But I've been spottily attending for a couple of years, a UU minister performed our wedding, and currently I'm taking a wonderful spirituality adult ed class at the church, called "Spirit of Life." It's fantastic - focused on creating your own versions of the concept of the Sacred, creating rituals, creating blessings. Very hands-on.

I've been recently experimenting with concepts of God/The Sacred/Spirit of Life, and I'm looking for a place to discuss it more. I typically identify agnostic; while some version of the Sacred appeal to me, I don't expect to ever know.

Flag kuriboshoe July 17, 2010 9:32 AM EDT

Jun 12, 2010 -- 3:19AM, Notbisyb wrote:

After some study and contemplation, I'd call myself (somewhat humorously) a spiritual atheist.  I don't know that I believe in an omniscient "God" but I do believe in a loving and creative force...

I might agree with you. I've been experimenting with an idea I've been calling "the layer," a sort of ethereal layer of nature that is outside what we can see, but something we can feel.  The web that connects us to each other as humans, to nature, and what bonds us in a spiritual way with our spouses and our children. "The sacred" or "Aether" might be better terms.

Flag Tesserae September 4, 2010 8:10 PM EDT

hi everyone.

I've been out of (anykindof) church for a very long time. I was raised extremely fundamental with sexual, physical, etc. abuse and lots more crap.

I recently partially attended a UU service, and loved it.

I'm hoping to keep going back, getting my anxiety under control enough to be able to stay the whole time, and finally finding a home.

I already know this is it.

Flag prayerwriter October 12, 2010 12:51 PM EDT

Greetings from Iowa-I, too, find that the UU is the only "church" where I feel like I fit.  Unfortunately, there are not too many UU churches in Iowa, and none where I am.  Does anyone know how one begins establishing a church?

Flag KathyHL October 20, 2010 5:55 PM EDT

I used to go to UU of Arlington (VA) in the mid-90s, but fell away from it....life intervened in the form of divorce, moving, and other stuff that distracted me from spirituality.  I'm now located near Richmond, VA and thinking about trying one of the two nearby UU churches - there's one in Richmond itself and one in Glen Allen.  Is anyone familiar with either of them?  Or is anyone near Richmond, VA and consider themself UU (whether they attend church or not?)

Flag Jupiter6208 October 20, 2010 9:02 PM EDT

Dec 29, 2009 -- 2:02PM, Jessa wrote:

Michteach1972 and Wbsterling:

It seems to me that UU may be a good fit for you guys. :)

Michteach1972: Have you checked out the Unity church?  I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to lean a lot more towards Christianity and a connection with Jesus than UU's do, from my experience.  I HAVE heard of UU Christians, but I am beginning to think they are mythical creatures. I have never encountered one. :)

I consider myself Christian  that would be the 10%? lol   but i feel very Unitarian as well.

Flag LimeTwyst October 30, 2010 9:18 AM EDT

Hello, I have had this forum bookmarked for several years and I come by to read every few months, but I have yet to say hello - so "Hello" Smile

I consider myself UU, have not joined and have only attended twice - once for a funeral and another time just to try it out. There is a huge UU church here in Tulsa - that's the one I went to, and it's a bit intimidating to go alone. Anyway, someday I would like to be more involved, but for now I am content reading and contemplating at home.

I was raised fundamental Pentecostal, frequently waking at night terrified that my parents had been taken away by the resurrection, and was absolutely bound and determined to not raise my kids with that kind of fear (and also I was determined to raise them to be accepting of other religions and peoples), so although we went to a Christian church a few times when they were younger, we stopped when we got uncomfortable with the ideas the kids were being taught. We've been church-less as a family since the kids were 5 & 7, but we talk about religion frequently in our house.

The exploratory nature of UU draws me in (and the concept that we who explore thusly can flock together peacefully even though we may differ greatly in beliefs), and I would like to share the contemplation of life and purpose with others of similar bent.

Flag RevDorris October 30, 2010 6:01 PM EDT

Welcome to our little corner of the world.

Flag Randomcoolzip2 November 28, 2010 7:43 PM EST

Hi.  I used to post on Beliefnet years ago and got away from it.  It's been long enough that I had to re-register because my old user ID expired and I couldn't get it back.  Coming back now to see what the scene is like.  I'm an active UU "lifer" living in central Massachusetts.

Flag Orbitalpoet December 2, 2010 7:14 AM EST

Hi all,

First, thanks to Jessa for starting this thread!

It was only a couple of days ago that I stumbled upon UU (and beliefnet). The ideas I have come across here so far seem to resonate with me in a way that nothing else ever has.

The thing is, there is no UU church anywhere near where I live. There is a 'Unitarian' church, which does use the term 'Universalist' in some of its literature, but by the descriptions of services, etc., this seems to be some form of Christianity.

I tend more towards a 'looser' spirituality, haven't found my way exactly yet, so it is hard to say what I believe!

I guess I will have to go it alone for now, but at least I have found this forum. Will be looking for any books or online material on UU that I can get to give me a start.

Thanks all, bye for now.

Flag Crystalmichelle December 20, 2010 4:04 PM EST

Hello. I was a born into and raised in the Unitarian Universalist tradition. As a teenager, I explored modern paganism, as well as Protestant Christianity, and for a while I attended a Pentecostal church. Since that time, I've studied/encountered many other religions and practice, and after a great deal of thought, have returned to the religion of my childhood. I suppose I'm an example of the old addage 'Once was, always will be.' I will say though, that it feels more like a faith now than it ever did as a child. I suppose it's because having had some [more] experience of the world and in life, I'm better able to appreciate what Unitarian Universalism stands for.

Flag Msylvestre January 26, 2011 11:36 AM EST

Oct 12, 2010 -- 12:51PM, prayerwriter wrote:

Greetings from Iowa-I, too, find that the UU is the only "church" where I feel like I fit.  Unfortunately, there are not too many UU churches in Iowa, and none where I am.  Does anyone know how one begins establishing a church?

Greetings from Nuremberg, Germany!

Nobody seems to have posted a reply, so if prayerwriter is still looking, I'd recommend the Church of the Larger Fellowship -- it's online, and they're revamping their website right now to offer more facilities, and they also have resources for starting up a church.

I come from a Catholic family, and have been fluctuating between the Episcopal and Unitarian churches for years, but after much consideration -- I've always felt uncomfortable with the role St. Paul played in establishing Christianity, and recently read a polemic that completely disillusioned me on the point.

Also, while a church that maintains  apostolic succession provides a wonderful sense of continuity, it does mean that it's handicapped when it comes to establishing missions (most money goes towards paying for a priest).

While I really appreciate high-church liturgies, I'm finding it more and more difficult to rationalize saying the creed and accepting the sacramental nature of the Eucharist (sometimes reading does make one lose one's faith!).

Looking forward to staying around for good this time, and of getting to know you all here!

Flag Taciturnu January 28, 2011 10:26 PM EST

It's been a while since I kicked around on here and surprisingly, I don't think I ever posted on a Unitarian Universalist thread.

I stumbled across UUism a few years ago and haven't looked back. I was raised Catholic, but I do come from a long line of heretics; when I started attending "church," I realized I was a descendant of John Lothropp, the man who founded the church I attend in 1644 here on Cape Cod. (I just love how things come full circle!) 

It is surprising to me that UU congregations are not more full, since there is a huge number of people who call themselves "spiritual-but-not-religious" and (I think) would do quite well in one of our congregations. Not surprisingly, I've known many people who did not have any idea of its existence. Up until I started attending I had no idea of the basis, either. 

I'm interested in talking to other UUs online, to hear of how their congregations operate, how their services are run and what their general spiritual ideas are. 

That last sentence sounds a bit like an online personal, so I'll continue with the theme and say I look forward to hearing from you! Laughing

Flag Iseek February 1, 2011 11:36 PM EST
Hello, my friends!  I am a new seeker and have found myself among the Unitarian Universalist, and what a wonderful group of folks indeed!  I am 24, blissfully married to my love, Amy, and living in Central New York.  I am not sure where my spiritual journey is taking me yet, but I have an affinity for several paths.  I can't wait to talk with you fine folks.  Peace be with you all!
Flag eclecticjim April 2, 2011 8:25 PM EDT

Hi to all the "newer" UU's, I have been a UU for over 40 years. Like most of you I am a "comeouter" who found a wonderful safe place to ask questions, admit my ignorance and grow my personal workable faith. I hope you each find  UU to be welcoming and safe.  Allow me to make a couple suggestions as you begin anew in your journey to find meaning in your life.  1. Don't be too quick to completely throw out your entire past religious lessons, there may still be some good stuff, they just need to be pondered abit.  2. Read, read, read ALL the words of wisdom of the ages, past and present. 3. Don't be afraid to admit your questions and ignorance.  I trust you have read and pondered the Seven Principles found in the beginning of the church song book. 

Flag Aaron April 2, 2011 11:31 PM EDT

Hi everybody, this is my first post on Beliefnet. I don't know what I'm doing, where I'm going, or if I'll ever be able to find this thread again - but you gotta start somewhere, right? I've been a UU for about 3 years, having been a fundamentalist Christian for most of my life. I call myself an atheist, but I think I'm outgrowing the label and am finding "humanist" to be somewhat more accurate. The reason I am on Beliefnet is because I am tired of participating in the war between Atheists and Christians. Most of my life I fought on one side, then the other. I'd like to get some discussion going with moderate Christians to help me find some middle ground with my Christian friends and relatives, but I thought I'd find myself a home base and post in the UU forums first. So hello. If anyone feels inclined to send me a private message or friend me please do so because I don't know anyone at Beliefnet yet.

Flag Aaron April 2, 2011 11:38 PM EDT

electicjim, I can relate to your advice about throwing out your past religious experience. When I left fundamentalism (indeed when I left Christianity) I dropped everything - all of my religious beliefs, opinions, political views, morals, values, my entire world view. I took it all out of my brain and dumped it all on the floor. I've spent the last decade working from scratch. Most of the things I've picked up are new, but I've also picked a few things back up which I had thrown away in the beginning. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it. I'm not sure if there is any other practical way to do it. But for those of you who do trash all of your religious beliefs and start from scratch, realize that when you start collecting new beliefs some of the old stuff might still be good. You just might have to rearrange things to make it fit.

Flag eclecticjim April 5, 2011 5:36 PM EDT

Aaron: Glad to hear from you. I note you like Bart Ehrman. Have you read Karen Armstrong's books "The History of God" and "The Case for God?" As you ponder your spiritual journey, you may find these helpful. I find the  Christmas stories of Matthew and Luke to be as creative as Clement Moore's story. Also I strongly recommend you see "What the Bleep do We Know?" The comments by the Irish Priest Dr Ledwith and Dr. Fred Allen Wolf are facinating.

I look forward to your thoughts and those of any others in this Community.

Flag Pmjpkj September 23, 2011 3:42 PM EDT

Hi everyone! I'm a graduate student studying marine science and am new to beliefnet. I believe in the relavency of most religions, equality for humankind, respect for life, and of course respect for the environment. 

My mother, who was a single parent, raised me. Although she is a psychotherapist, her BA is in religious studies. She surrounded me with teachings from world religions and I soon realized that not only were they relevant but most were strikingly similar.

I have always wanted to be a part of a religion that accepted all others. I remember as a teenager I wanted to create one called Universalism because nothing seemed to fit. At that time, I didn't know that I was behind the times and there was a religion with most everything I was searching for already out there. 

I'm looking forward to joining this community. 

Christiana

Flag Elynnlange October 6, 2011 6:50 PM EDT

Hello all,

My name is Erika and I am new to both the UU faith and Beliefnet.

I will be attending a UU church in Denver for the first time on Sunday morning (hopefully--if my work schedule permits), and am very much looking forward to it :)

In the meantime, I would just like to meet other UUs and maybe make some friends along the way.

:D

Flag RevDorris October 7, 2011 8:54 AM EDT

Erika and Christiana welcome to the forum.

Flag Elynnlange October 7, 2011 12:07 PM EDT

Thank you very much :)

Flag Iolanthe March 13, 2013 1:22 AM EDT

Hello,

I'm fairly new to beliefnet and not really sure what faith I am. I've just done the Belief'0'matic quiz and UU came up as my result. After reading' What UU's believe' I thought I would check out  this forum and find out more.

It was interesting to read that you hold varying views on different aspects of faith which I find encouraging. 

Even though I don't attend a church I hope I will be welcome here.

Iolanthe X

Flag RevDorris March 18, 2013 3:08 AM EDT
Welcome to the forum.  Will look forward to your posts.
Flag Karma_yeshe_dorje May 24, 2013 1:30 PM EDT

I have been to Canberra UU services twice. The Belief-O-Matic quiz had consistently scored UU up amongst the top of suitable denominations.

I have a question about the order of service. What is the history of this? How did it come to be?

Flag Ravenmew January 31, 2015 5:03 PM EST

I would like to remind everyone that Unitarians are Christians with diverse beliefs and that UUism is not a religion.

I hate to tell this, but reality must come forward.  UUism is a Unitarian philosophy.

No hard feelings as I pray for you and my fellow Unitarians.  We have to be careful about what we say.

We Unitarians believe in the dignity of man, meaning that man is worthy of Heaven despite his worldly deeds.

We Unitarians are filled with the Holy Spirit and hence we are Christians.  On the Belief-O-Matic, I scored Unitarian Universalist, but we are just plain Jane Unitarians.  You may call it UUism, but I prefer the traditional designation "Unitarian." If you disagree, that is okay to me since we have the freedom of thought, the right to reason and the tolerance towards others.  We may seem otherwise, but Unitarians are legally Christians.  The American Founding Fathers were Unitarians, especially Benjamin Franklyn and Thomas Jefferson.  They, too were Christians.

Mew Xacata

Flag RevDorris February 8, 2015 2:52 PM EST

I would venture to say that less than 15% of those who identify as Unitarian or Unitarian Universalist also identify themselves as Christians.   Being UU is definitely a religion not just a philosophy.

It is an inclusive religion that does not bar membership to anyone.

This is just my opinion.

Flag Karma_yeshe_dorje May 6, 2015 2:19 PM EDT

I just scored UU again.

I recall a college principal who opened a board meeting with "I'm sure we all agree that....". Which as far as I was concerned meant "You lot shut up and agree with me!".

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook