Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View First Nations win a 3.4 billion $ settlement
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 5:17PM #1
Agnosticspirit

About freakin' time.... within recent weeks, the Collegiate Church made a formal apology to First Nation tribes for the vile treatment of Native Americans at the hands of early settlers 400 years ago.... CLICK HERE for details.

But this..... better than  an apology by far... The US has finally settled with Native Americans from a dispute stretching  back to the  1800's.  The case was filed in 1996... The settlement finally took place in 2009. The legal engine takes an eternity.

CLICK HERE for details.

Your comments? Do you agree with this decision? Why or why not? Can we afford this? Why or why not?

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 5:26PM #2
rangerken

Good for the Interior Department...at last. As I understand it this was a matter of both mismanagement and possibly fraud committed against Native Americans. They deserve the compensation!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 5:33PM #3
appy20

Whether we can pay it or not, we have to pay it.  I believe a nation has a soul too and ours was terribly blemished by that chapter in our history.  We owe Native Americans a debt.  A debt that cannot be repaid but at least we should make an honest effort.  This is good news.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 5:48PM #4
Agnosticspirit

Dec 8, 2009 -- 5:33PM, appy20 wrote:

Whether we can pay it or not, we have to pay it.  I believe a nation has a soul too and ours was terribly blemished by that chapter in our history.  We owe Native Americans a debt.  A debt that cannot be repaid but at least we should make an honest effort.  This is good news.

I agree, appy...this debt MUST be repaid....It's an egregious stain on our history... pasting a small portion of the text from provided link below. The Interior Department has been mismanaging this for YEARS.... and we wonder why Americans are a little skeptical of our cabinet posts? Too late to fire those responsible, they're all dead... As are the individual families who were supposed to have benefited from this "largesse" as well.

The case dates back to 1887, when the government carved up Indian reservation lands into smaller parcels and allotted them to individual Indians.

It has been the Interior Department's responsibility to manage various activities on the land, including mineral mining, oil and gas drilling, and timber harvesting, and then pay the Indians royalties for those activities.  But Cobell and the other plaintiffs charged that the Interior Department had mishandled the revenues for more than a century.

President Barack Obama issued a statement hailing the agreement as an important step toward reconciliation between Indian trust beneficiaries and the federal government.  The agreement still must be approved by a federal court and by Congress, which must vote to allocate the money needed to fund the settlement.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 5:51PM #5
Agnosticspirit

CLICK HERE... for more detail from the Department of Interior website:

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 6:36PM #6
Idbc

I am 1/16th Native American(Souix) how much will I get ?  Smile

I am also 1/32 Afro-American, so when just reparations are made for the injustices to us black folk  by the white man I expect to get my cut. 

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You Smile

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 7:01PM #7
Agnosticspirit

Dec 8, 2009 -- 6:36PM, Idbc wrote:

I am 1/16th Native American(Souix) how much will I get ? 

I am also 1/32 Afro-American, so when just reparations are made for the injustices to us black folk  by the white man I expect to get my cut. 

Have A Thinking Day And May Reason Guide You

I must be at least 1/8, since my daddy's daddy was from Old Mexico... oh, wait... not sure if this settlement applies to First Nations in Mexico so I'm probably out. Durn it.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 7:06PM #8
mountain_man

The long overdue and woefully small settlement shouldn't go to individuals but to projects, selected by NAs, that would help their communities, schools, clinics, etc.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 7:11PM #9
Agnosticspirit

Is it really up to us to determine this? Have not Native Americans had enough of our paternal interest? (which is a vast improvement on our MANIFEST DESTINY mentality), but condescending nevertheless)

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 7:18PM #10
Lonesentinel

Dec 8, 2009 -- 5:48PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

President Barack Obama issued a statement hailing the agreement as an important step toward reconciliation between Indian trust beneficiaries and the federal government.  The agreement still must be approved by a federal court and by Congress, which must vote to allocate the money needed to fund the settlement.

*chuckle* Well gholl dang! With Obama runnin' da printin' presses ta make mer munnies by da minoot, weel ave dis det payed of befer da football game on Sunday!....*slaps the knee in mock glee*

/sarcasm off

I do agree that there is a debt owed...but if this settlement includes times before the turn of the 20th Century...I don't know if I agree with that part of it. 

/sarcasm back on

Oh well...we have a mountain of debt from the stimulus packages (even though it looks like the money that was for these packages are not going to be used as Congress originally decided on) and the costs of a Healthcare Reform package in the works.  Considering that our debt is in the Trillions, what is a few more billion?...*chuckle*

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook