5 years ago  ::  Oct 20, 2009 - 9:14PM #1
Ethanol_emillee

i was wondering about the fact that voodoo is many an african based religion and so, is practiced by mostly "black" people. i was wondering if you can be another race and still practice voodoo? this seems like a silly question but it is prevalent in my mind.

also, i read that voodoo is more of a calling than just something you decide to practice. like the spirits have to come and call you to practice. you can just say, oh i'm going to practice voodoo now. is that true? i have been considering voodoo as a path for myself but i am confused about many things.

so any information any one has would be helpful also.

and then hoodoo. my understanding is that hoodoo is not really i religion, just sort of a practice. i dont know. there is even less information on hoodoo than there is on voodoo. i am also insterested in hoodoo as well, so any information there would be helpful.

Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself. ~Harvey Fierstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2009 - 11:30AM #2
Bairre

Well, most of the African diasporic religions are practiced primarily by Africans, African-Americans, and Afro-Caribbeans.  That doesn't mean that white people can't or don't practice these religions.  I know that there was a guy named Joseph M. Murphy who became interested in Santeria and sought it out and became initiated, and now he is a scholar on the topic.  Santeria has some similarities to Voudou, but it's a different religion. 

It is true that most of the Santeros and Voudouns are open to people joining, but there is often a certain amount of skepticism toward white folks, but if you are serious, they are receptive.

This mostly has to do with the forced Christianization and continued ostricization by white people in the countries these religions developed.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook