Switch to Forum Live View music in Baptist worship
5 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2009 - 12:39PM #1
Dfg

I've posing this question to a few different faith communities and would like to hear what Baptists have to say. How would you describe the purpose of music in Baptist worship and what styles of music are most effective?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 28, 2009 - 5:31PM #2
Roodog

Sep 26, 2009 -- 12:39PM, Dfg wrote:

I've posing this question to a few different faith communities and would like to hear what Baptists have to say. How would you describe the purpose of music in Baptist worship and what styles of music are most effective?

DFG,

Music in Baptist worship traditionally had been the hymns of the Church, which one minister I had said teaches more theology to the people than even the preaching during the service.

Many Churches have gone over to contemporary praise music which in my opinion is not as substantial as the hymns.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2009 - 11:40PM #3
Dfg

Thanks for the response. I love to hear about what's happening in other churches.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 22, 2009 - 9:51AM #4
Lunadreamer2001

In our Southern Baptist community, the choir is known as "Worship leaders". Music to begin worship services is there to uplift the congregation. Music is a universal language and speaks to many people in a way that words never could. While I love the old hymns, I believe contemporary music has it's place as well. It's important to have music that is familiar but always be able to use new songs or arrangements. Whatever the style of each particular church, music as in all things should be used to bring glory unto the Lord, draw believers closer to Him and prick the heart of the unbeliever that they might accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2009 - 10:58AM #5
Janna-margaret

One of the aspects of my church that I really appreciate is that instead of "splitting the baby", when it came to music, (as in forcing a choice one way or another), the leadership simply decided to include both traditional and contemporary.  Perhaps it made the service run a little longer than before, but aside from that, it seems like everyone has something to look forward to when they come.  

From the way I see it, demanding the congregation stick with one style seems unnecessarily contentious.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 29, 2009 - 3:08PM #6
Roodog

That's well and good, but my church could use more traditional to reach the balance.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2009 - 2:10PM #7
Unworthyone

My congregation, which has five services per week, uses primarily contemporary christian music during services.  There was a very loud contingent that wanted to use traditional baptist hymns during worship.  So, to accomodate this contingent, one service was reserved for only traditional baptist music during worship.  The word was passed through every possible conduit, so that every member of the congregation (~5000) was aware of the music at this service.  This service was continued for one year, when it was determined that less than 30 people attended the service on any given week.  When the service resumed with the contemporary music, weekly attendance at that service jumped to over 600 per week.

The question is, how far should a pastoral staff go to accomodate the few at the expense of the many?

I never consider a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.  Thomas Jefferson

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

You can get anything you want out of life if you will just help enough other people get what they want. Zig Ziglar

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/03/29/opinion/why-i-m-for-the-brady-bill.html
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook