Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View music in Presbyterian worship
5 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2010 - 6:03PM #31
Roodog

Sep 2, 2010 -- 1:41PM, CalKnox wrote:

What worship has God appointed in his Word and what may it include? What must it exclude?

My reading of P/R literature has stated "What is not commanded is forbidden."

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 months ago  ::  Jan 15, 2015 - 3:09AM #32
Talbott

Nov 23, 2009 -- 2:06PM, CalKnox wrote:

The Directory for Worship of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church says:

"As it is the aim of public worship to glorify God, prayer and praise should predominate in congregational singing. Let every member of the church take part in this act of worship. It should be performed not merely with the lips but with the spirit and the understanding. Since the metrical versions of the Psalms are based upon the Word of God, they ought to be used frequently in public worship. Great care must be taken that all the materials of song are in perfect accord with the teaching of Holy Scripture. Let the tunes as well as the words be dignified and elevated. The stately rhythm of the choral is especially appropriate for public worship. No person shall take a special part in the musical service unless he is a professing Christian and adorns his profession with a godly walk."

Love this! Thanks for sharing this quote from the Directory for Worship of the OPC. I'm a member of the PC(USA), but I think this is relevant to all of us Reformed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook