Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
Switch to Forum Live View What Do Atheist Believe In?
8 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2010 - 10:41PM #71
mountain_man

Oct 11, 2010 -- 8:23PM, prayerwriter wrote:

... But why do so many atheists  attack-for lack of a better word- those of us who are theists for simply believing in god or God or gods or whatever?

We don't. We respond to attacks on us by theists. If a theist does not want to hear what an Atheist has to say, they shouldn't ask.

I'm not talking about calling religions to be accountable for their deeds, I'm simply talking about the belief in god (or Whatever)?  My point is, what difference does it make to your unbelief if I believe?  I do not wish to be combatitive, I truly want to know.

You'll have to ask that of those that constantly attack Atheists. Is it wrong for us to respond to unwarranted attacks? I would happily go about my life without saying one word about religion - but believers never cease to try to impose their religious beliefs into our schools, our laws, our government, and my life. As long as they do so, I'll respond.

In other words; we are not the trouble makers - THEY are.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 6:29AM #72
Eudaimonist

But why do so many atheists  attack-for lack of a better word- those of us who are theists for simply believing in god or God or gods or whatever?

I wish you had a better word, because I don't know what you mean.  Attack how?  What do you consider an attack?

My point is, what difference does it make to your unbelief if I believe?

It doesn't, unless you make it a political issue.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 8:36AM #73
prayerwriter

You are absolutely correct - attack is a terrible word.  Perhaps better word choices might be ridicule or demean.  And, it is true that if one is attacked in thought, word, or deed, one has the right to defend oneself.  I personally have great respect for other's beliefs - be they in a "Supreme Being" or not.  What I mean in my question was, why do (some, certainly not all) atheist become so hateful when addressing or talking about theists?  Case in point - I love watching Real Time with Bill Maher but he ridicules and demeans anybody who professes to believe in a God (gods, goddess, etc), and he seems to be he norm.  I truly do not want to trade insults, I'm honestly trying to  understand.  Thank you for your comments so far.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 10:54AM #74
Wiscidea

Oct 12, 2010 -- 8:36AM, prayerwriter wrote:

What I mean in my question was, why do (some, certainly not all) atheist become so hateful when addressing or talking about theists?  Case in point - I love watching Real Time with Bill Maher but he ridicules and demeans anybody who professes to believe in a God (gods, goddess, etc), and he seems to be he norm.  I truly do not want to trade insults, I'm honestly trying to  understand.  Thank you for your comments so far.

Perhaps, as far as I'm concerned, it is desparation. It is difficult to criticize the words of someone like Billy Graham, Pat Robertson, Phelps, the current Pope because these people have immunized themselves against reason. They can simply point to their book and say they're doing God's work. If friendly, compassionate, tolerant religious people could successfully debate the issues with these unpleasant religious people, the world could be a much more pleasant place. But that does not seem to be happening — perhaps because the most compassionate people are also the most tolerant — leaving the atheist with one option, "attack" the concept of God itself. I'm not saying this is good or bad. I'm just trying to answer your question.

Regarding Bill Maher, I used to find him extremely funny. Now he seems obnoxious. Did I change or did he change? By the way, I'm not sure he can criticize "faith"; he believes some rather strange stuff himself.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 11:03AM #75
mountain_man

Oct 12, 2010 -- 8:36AM, prayerwriter wrote:

You are absolutely correct - attack is a terrible word.  Perhaps better word choices might be ridicule or demean.  And, it is true that if one is attacked in thought, word, or deed, one has the right to defend oneself.

That's all we're doing; defending ourselves.

[I personally have great respect for other's beliefs - be they in a "Supreme Being" or not.  What I mean in my question was, why do (some, certainly not all) atheist become so hateful when addressing or talking about theists?  Case in point - I love watching Real Time with Bill Maher but he ridicules and demeans anybody who professes to believe in a God (gods, goddess, etc), and he seems to be he norm.  I truly do not want to trade insults, I'm honestly trying to  understand.  Thank you for your comments so far.

Here's an example; almost every christian out there will tell you that Atheists cannot be moral since they do not believe in a god. Obviously that's a lie, yet they insist on beating us over the head with it.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 11:55AM #76
Wiscidea

This thread contains a link to a very good list of why atheists are angry and what they're reacting to. I'm surprised by the vast number of "believers" who are not aware of what atheist have to put up with. I think everything would make sense if someone took time to scan the list.

"Some people claim that there's a woman to blame. But I know it's my own damn fault."

Jimmy Buffet (Margaritaville)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 12:35PM #77
prayerwriter

Mountain Man and Wisidea (SP?) - thank you thank you.  Your points are well made and well taken.  I have a much better understanding now.  Although we are in the minority, there are a few of us "believers" who are more than tolerant.  And I do not think atheists are amoral or anything such thing.  This forum has been extremely helpful. 

And Mountain Man, I think Bill Maher has changed-although I've no idea if you have changed.Kiss LOL. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 1:39PM #78
mountain_man

Oct 12, 2010 -- 12:35PM, prayerwriter wrote:

Mountain Man and Wisidea (SP?) - thank you thank you.  Your points are well made and well taken.  I have a much better understanding now.  Although we are in the minority, there are a few of us "believers" who are more than tolerant.  And I do not think atheists are amoral or anything such thing.  This forum has been extremely helpful.

There are many Christians like you out there. The problem is that they get shouted down by the not so nice christians. Now you can see why Gandhi like the Christian religion, but not christians.

And Mountain Man, I think Bill Maher has changed-although I've no idea if you have changed. LOL.

Someone else brought up Maher. Not me. He makes a living out of telling unwanted truths in a funny way. Some don't like that. He's not paid to change, but to stay the same. But, now that you have mentioned it, I have changed. I used to follow along with all the half truths that some Atheists believe that all Atheists should go along with. I used to say; "One cannot prove a god does not exist therefore you cannot claim one does not exist." I saw the fallacy in that and now come right out and say there are no gods.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2010 - 6:18PM #79
JCarlin

Please Welcome Prayerwriter 

to the Atheist boards!  And to beliefnet.

Thoughtful theists are particularly welcome.

Thanks for joining us.

But why do so many atheists  attack-for lack of a better word- those of us who are theists for simply believing in god or God or gods or whatever?  I'm not talking about calling religions to be accountable for their deeds, I'm simply talking about the belief in god (or Whatever)?  My point is, what difference does it make to your unbelief if I believe?  I do not wish to be combatitive, I truly want to know.

If  God helps you (generic) to be a better person in the world, particularly  in my world, God bless you.  My world contains many theists who do just  that. 

If  God compels you (generic) to make my world ugly and hateful by attacking  my friends, some of whom believe in God, particularly the children and  teens that believe in God, then you deserve whatever attack I or other  atheists joined by some theists,  can put together.  Not for your belief  in God but for the rotten fruit that hangs off your tree.  (I could say  Cross, but that is a different board entirely.)  As I recall it some  guy named Jesus said that said you can tell the false prophets by the  fruits of their teachings.  

J'Carlin
If the shoe doesn't fit, don't cram your foot in it and complain.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Oct 13, 2010 - 12:08PM #80
prayerwriter

Oct 12, 2010 -- 6:18PM, JCarlin wrote:

If God compels you (generic) to make my world ugly and hateful by attacking my friends, some of whom believe in God, particularly the children and teens that believe in God, then you deserve whatever attack I or other atheists joined by some theists,  can put together.  Not for your belief in God but for the rotten fruit that hangs off your tree.  (I could say Cross, but that is a different board entirely.)  As I recall it some guy named Jesus said that said you can tell the false prophets by the fruits of their teachings.  

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 8  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook