Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Not sure what my own beliefs are
5 years ago  ::  Sep 27, 2009 - 8:10PM #21
soma77

A skeptical mind and a big toe are good. You are on the right track. Find a quiet path inside. It may be music, a candle, bath, meditation or whatever. The answer is inside and it will present itself. Good luck with getting all ten toes wet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 16, 2010 - 4:41PM #22
soma77

Confuseman, You are a true spiritual aspirant, don't dive in unless and untill all your questions are answered. When your intellect is exhausted, it will relax and the value of self-kknowledge will bring the mind to a greater consciousness that is joyful, peaceful, sharp and content.

It doesn't matter what river you take they all lead to the same ocean, and the ocean no matter where you are still tastes salty.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 3:26PM #23
soma77

I like your approach to spirituality. I hope you are well away on your spiritual journey and gaining many insights.  Salutations to the Divinity within you.  Soma

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2011 - 12:40AM #24
soma77

Good luck, it is all good.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 31, 2011 - 7:15PM #25
Mewxacata

You sound like a New Ager to me.  As a New Ager, I believe that Heaven and Hell are more or less aspects of consciousness.  When a person is good, he will rest in peace (Heaven).  When a person is bad, he will become a shadow of himself (Hell).  If you have been told that the Grace of Jesus Christ is yours in this life and that if you do not accept his Salvation, then it will be too late, do not listen to that advice.  No one becomes a shadow of himself for not believing in Master Jesus.  It is one thing to have faith; it is another to do good works.  Having faith in Jesus Christ without good works will not bring you to Heaven or rest in peace.  That will send you to Hell or become a shadow of yourself.  You go to Heaven for what you do, not because of who you are or any faith in Jesus Christ.

If you think that the Salvation of Jesus is something relative, consider this: the Crucifixion was narrowed down to the point where Heaven meets Hell.  In that respect, Jesus died on the Cross so as to keep innocent people from Hell or becoming mere shadows of themselves.  How it works is this: he was an innocent man punished for his ministries.  He did not call himself the "Son of God."  (That's our term.)  In Roman mythology, if a man dies on the cross, his soul will go to Hell or be punished by the Gods.  When the soul of Jesus entered the realm of Hell, Satan cast it out knowing that this man was good.  The earthquake, the tearing of the veil and the resurrection of the dead were based on the powers of Jesus Christ.  He was then resurrected by God and then ascended into Heaven.  I know this because I read the Bible while practicing the New Age.

If you do not like the New Age label, at least be grateful that you believe in God.

Take care, and may you be blessed.

Sincerely,

Raven

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 4:14PM #26
Mandalatree

Aug 9, 2009 -- 9:58AM, Confusedman wrote:

As stated in the title, I'm not sure what my beliefs are so I've been conducting a search lately, investigating various religions and beliefs, reading books, etc.  I should probably clarify some things.  Prior to the age of seven nobody had ever told me about religion and I was quite content not having one.  The closest I had to any kind of religious beliefs was my belief in a bearded wizard-like man living at the bottom of the universe.  Then I was told about Jesus.  I asked Jesus into my heart and then I spent the next 15 years as a protestant Christian. 

My beliefs did fluctuate and change a little over the years but then in the past month started having doubtful thoughts.  First, I came across a website that made a good arguement.  It said something like this.  "What kind of God would punish people with eternal, unceasing fire just because they fail to worship him in the correct manner?  Especially when he doesn't even leave any evidence as to what the correct religion is."  I also used to be convinced that the Bible is literally inerrant in every way and that the Earth was literally 6000 years old.  But now I've come to the conclusion that the Bible was written by imperfect men and that I no longer want to deny science in order to jusify my beliefs concerning the creation of the universe. 

And I've also decided that while possible I'm no longer convinced that Jesus is the son of God.  I currently believe that there is some kind of god but that this god does not punish people for believing the wrong things.  This god is also the direct or inderect inspiration for all religions.  This god is in everything around us.  I guess that would make me either a pantheist or a panentheist.  I don't believe heaven and hell are actual places.  To me, earth is heaven and hell.  If people act with kindness and love then they are propagating heaven on earth.  If they act with malice and selfishness then they are propagating hell.  My beliefs about the afterlife are uncertain.  I tend to believe that there is either nothing after death or some kind of reincarnation. 

Beyond this I am uncertain what to believe and how to label myself.  I have prayed to various gods and studied many belief systems.  Hinduism is interesting though I'm not sure about it.  I think that I might be a neopagan though I'm not sure about that either.  Not really sure what kind of responses I'm looking for.  I guess I'd like to know if anyone thinks they have an idea as to how my beliefs would be labeled.  Also, suggestions for interesting sacred texts would be nice.  Conversation is good too. Anyone else here uncertain of what they believe?  Sorry for the text wall.  I got kind of carried away.

It seems as if all world religions are merely antennae reaching
for something greater. Geography and culture creates diversity, but really all
major religions have the same message. When you ponder the mechanics of the
Universe and how through Quantum Physics everything is connected and pulsing
with energy; it becomes clear this thing called god may be indefinable.  It is perfectly fine to be a little confused.  It is okay if we do not have all the answers.
Follow your inner voice and eventually a level of self-actualization will be
realized. Meanwhile, it is quite fine to revel in the fact that you are a part
of this amazing cosmos. It is enough to know that we are connected to something
so vast and amazing it boggles the imagination - JCB

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2013 - 2:51PM #27
soma77

You are very sincere, the answer is within you so just quiet the mind and it will appear. The techniques don't matter, they can be Buddhist, Jewish, Christian, Hindu or just scientific, but when the mind quiets you will know who you are and the path which might change again or might not. Salutations to the Divinity within You.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 02, 2013 - 11:30AM #28
BrownBear

I think that religious affiliations, being human constructs as opposed to a direct representations of ethernal truth, are something that everybody should change from time to time. Churches and theologies are only spiritual tools after all. A lot of religious leaders and lay people choose to ignore that but that's more about them than about God.

No religion, priest or guru can actually put us directly in touch with God and the grand cosmic plan. They can only show us so far and after that we're on our own. Individuals may find one church or religion more condusive to their spiritual growth at a given time but, since life is a dynamic process, sometimes a change is in order, and sometimes the reason for that change need be no more than the need for a change. Blindly following dogmas has never made a good Muslim or Christian, and simply negating other beliefs will never enrich one's life as an atheist.

If somebody starts out as a Christian, becomes a Buddhist and finishes up as an atheist, or visa versa, then that person is to applauded. Ultimately the strength of all the great saints and gurus was their ability to change and to grow. Jesus never condemned Greek or Roman religion as faiths. Nor did the Buddha condemn other contemporary cults. To learn is to grow and if that forces change then so be it. There's no need for anyone to be tentative or ashamed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 02, 2013 - 12:43PM #29
belleo

Today I'm Catholic . At seven years old I knew in my mind and heart that there was a God . Suicide was on my mind . The God within told me that was wrong . I went to church most days . We all have a conscience and that to me is the He that lives within all of us .

In my twenties I rejected Christ . Why did I do that ?  I see it as my conscience being darkened and than I was most confused . I experienced major depression . A dear soul nudged me back to church and praise . I'm back in believing in a God that is Triune . Praise God !

Just me
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  Mar 03, 2013 - 8:09AM #30
Iolanthe

I'm not sure what I believe really, but I feel there something in all of us and that everything is connected, whether it be spirit, God/Goddess etc. 

I have respect for other people whatever they believe, even if I don't agree with them. Tolerence of other faiths is the key to peace. We need to live by the 'Golden Rule' and live a compassionate life. (Memo - must try harder!)

I haven't found anywhere that I fit in (apart from beliefnet) regarding a particular faith, but would like to meet up with people who share my views.

Bright blessings

Iolanthe X

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook