Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Do I have to be a member of the God army to walk on a path with Jesus?
5 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2009 - 3:18PM #41
Bevo

You argue that simply because the United Methodist church declares that homosexual behavior is incompatible with Christian teaching, we are therefore guilty of not showing "love, respect, and dignity" to homosexuals.  The story of the Samaritan was one that focused on his behavior.  He behaved in a way all persons should behave.  I can assure you, if I came upon a person in similar circumstances as the Samaritan came upon, and he had a badge on him that said he was a homosexual, I would act just as the Samaritan acted.  Again, our church's position has nothing whatsoever to do with a person's worth; it has ONLY to do with a person's behavior

Look, I've taken in two teenage boys who were basically thrown out by their "parents."  I loved them, nurtured them, and supported them in every way I could.  They went to church with me.  One of them went on a church mission trip to Mexico.  But when their behavior turned criminal, I had to release them.  I still love them, but I can't have persons living in my home involved in criminal behavior.  So please save your sermons about loving the least for someone else.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2009 - 1:09PM #42
54george

Good afternoon, 

My response to this question is two fold.  First, we are to walk in God's army by simply trying, and we will fail at times, to live by His Commandments and that is all.  If we try and live in this way, we are already walking with God and are a part of His army.  And, by living in this way, we show others we believe in Him and that is our mission here as Christians.

Secondly, as to my belief in the way someone lives, yes it is our choice as to how we live.  But, a marriage was always to be between a Man & Woman an no other way.  You can search forever in scripture and will find no text anywhere that it is okay for man to be with man and woman to woman in a "marriage."  Chosing to live otherwise in a relationship other than man and woman I feel will be judged by our Creator and not by us. 

To finish, I also strongly believe that no children should be raised in a family other than in a union between Man & Woman.  If you choose to do otherwise you are corrupting the young to your way not God's way!    

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2010 - 2:09PM #43
christzen

Dec 20, 2009 -- 1:09PM, 54george wrote:

To finish, I also strongly believe that no children should be raised in a family other than in a union between Man & Woman.  If you choose to do otherwise you are corrupting the young to your way not God's way!    

One of the finest young men I know was raised by 2 gay men.He was given away by his drug addict mother to a family member who had escaped the barrio life by his association with other gay men,a lot of whom tend to be educated professional types,that steered him away from the machismo drug culture of the barrio.He went to college and is engaged to a girl (gasp! Imagine that.Being raised by 2 gay men yet liking girls) from a highly successful professional family.His siblings are still trapped in the barrio culture.

But I guess God would prefer that he was left in a "proper" biblical family where the brothers and uncles all set the example for him of drug dealing and violence.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2010 - 2:33PM #44
Bevo

I hardly think a drug addicted family qualifies as a biblical family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2010 - 4:10PM #45
christzen

Jan 9, 2010 -- 2:33PM, Bevo wrote:

I hardly think a drug addicted family qualifies as a biblical family.

Oh,but it was a one man/one woman family,thereby  evidently making it a "better" environment than a 2 gay men family to some.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2010 - 4:27PM #46
Bevo

I never said that.  I simply objected to your describing a drug addicted family as biblical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2010 - 12:10AM #47
christzen

Jan 9, 2010 -- 4:27PM, Bevo wrote:

I never said that.  I simply objected to your describing a drug addicted family as biblical.

That would be because most anti gay people describe the traditional man/woman marriage that way.I'm not using a term they don't use themselves to differentiate between gay marriages and traditional "biblical" marriages.They themselves never seem to get into the morals of these traditional families themselves,just the gender arrangements of them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2010 - 3:04AM #48
Rofl

There never are simple answers, are there?  I know something about drug addicted families myself, so I can see that point for sure.  I wish you the best as you wrestle with the issue of gay parents as it relates to your beliefs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2010 - 3:47PM #49
Bevo

There's quite a bit more than a marriage being between a man and a woman that would qualify it for being a biblical marriage.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2010 - 4:25PM #50
christzen

Rather than belabor the definition of a biblical family,I'll just ask this.In which situation would the kid have been better in according to you,the drug addict mother and uncaring father in the traditional man/woman marriage?Or being raised in the 2 gay men family that loved and raised him with traditional values,excluding of course a phobia of gays and lesbians?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook