Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Texas Gets Another Creationist School Board Leader
8 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2009 - 10:38PM #21
davelaw40

ends justify the means

unless you want me to really believe we Nationalized the finance industry for its own good?

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 1:33AM #22
TPaine

Jul 19, 2009 -- 10:38PM, davelaw40 wrote:

ends justify the means

unless you want me to really believe we Nationalized the finance industry for its own good?

Dave,

The lies are less important to me than whether or not he has a connection with Peter J Peters and the Christian Identity movement. In an earlier post I mentioned how members of the Order stopped in Peters church around the time they were robbing banks in Colorado and murdering talk radio host Alan Berg. Peters has connections with groups like Aryan Nation, the Phineas Priesthood, the Order, the Ku Klux Klan, no one denies him the right to be a racist jerk if that is what he wants to be. But if that is his choice, others have the right to point out what he is. The Anti-Defamation League describes Peters as follows.

www.adl.org/Learn/ext_us/Peters.asp?LEAR...

In an earlier post I included links about the Christian Identity movement from the ADL, the SPLC, and the FBI.

Does the State of Texas really need someone on the textbook board who is a known liar and someone who has more than once associated with a known Christian Identity Pastor? On top of that there are those who say he is also connected with the Christian Reconstructionists.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 11:01AM #23
dblad

Jul 19, 2009 -- 7:51PM, davelaw40 wrote:

I don't look at Barton as a liar; just a very slick Republicn organizer.

Yes, and I'm sure a lot of others look at him that way also. That's why he is so successful with his pack of lies.

When I hear words like "slick Republican organizer", I think of the old question, "How can you tell when a (fill in the blank) is lying?

David Barton, is a fundamentalist activist who makes a living attacking separation of church and state.

Even though his books and videos are riddled with factual errors, half truths and distortions, they have become the weapons of choice for Religious Right activists in their ongoing war against separation of church and state. In recent months, Americans United members from around the country have discovered letters to the editor in their local newspapers repeating Barton's charges. The videos have aired on public access and religious stations from coast to coast, and crates of the books have been shipped to evangelical churches for distribution.

Source: candst.tripod.com/boston1.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 12:33PM #24
davelaw40

Jul 20, 2009 -- 1:33AM, TPaine wrote:

Jul 19, 2009 -- 10:38PM, davelaw40 wrote:

ends justify the means

Dave,

The lies are less important to me than whether or not he has a connection with Peter J Peters and the Christian Identity movement. In an earlier post I mentioned how members of the Order stopped in Peters church around the time they were robbing banks in Colorado and murdering talk radio host Alan Berg. Peters has connections with groups like Aryan Nation, the Phineas Priesthood, the Order, the Ku Klux Klan, no one denies him the right to be a racist jerk if that is what he wants to be. But if that is his choice, others have the right to point out what he is. The Anti-Defamation League describes Peters as follows.

www.adl.org/Learn/ext_us/Peters.asp?LEAR...

In an earlier post I included links about the Christian Identity movement from the ADL, the SPLC, and the FBI.

Does the State of Texas really need someone on the textbook board who is a known liar and someone who has more than once associated with a known Christian Identity Pastor? On top of that there are those who say he is also connected with the Christian Reconstructionists.

now if you want to tie him to Rushdooney that would be a fair cop

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 3:54PM #25
TPaine

Jul 20, 2009 -- 12:33PM, davelaw40 wrote:

now if you want to tie him to Rushdooney that would be a fair cop

It would be fair to link Barton to Rushdooney? Interesting. For a tiny fringe movement, Reconstructionism appears to be having a remarkable growth spurt. Have you ever heard of the Family aka. the Fellowship that lives communally in Arlington, VA and in the C Street House in SE DC? This group idolizes John Winthrop, the Founder of Massachusetts Bay Colony who created "city upon a hill" quote later stolen by Reagan, Cotton Mather who presided over the Salem witch trials, and Johnathan Edwards who led the 1st Great Awakening of the 1730s-50s. Whether they, like Rushdoony consider Dutch Theologian Cornelius Van Til a godfather of the movement is unknown. If the Republican Party is going to go the Theocratic route, shouldn't it change it's name to Hezbollah (Party of God)?

I suggest you read Jeff Sharlet's book, The Family, The Secret Fundamentalism At The Heart Of American Power.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture."-- Thomas Paine: The Crisis No. V (March 21, 1778)
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 4:54PM #26
dblad

I would tie Rushdooney to Dooyeweerd .. Smile and name it the Standard Calvinist philosophers.

And, oh wow, I really like this quote..

Rushdoony supported the reinstatement of the Mosaic law's penal sanctions. Under such a system, the list of civil crimes which carried a death sentence would include homosexuality, adultery, incest, lying about one's virginity, bestiality, witchcraft, idolatry or apostasy, public blasphemy, false prophesying, kidnapping, rape, and bearing false witness in a capital case.

The British Centre for Science Education called Rushdooney "a man every bit as potentially murderous as Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot or anyone else you may want to name amongst the annals of evil" and "a thoroughly evil man."

From Wiki...

Sounds like some modern religious right people I know today.

Theologian Meredith G. Kline ... maintains that Reconstructionism makes the mistake of failing to understand the special prophetic role of Biblical Israel, calling it "a delusive and grotesque perversion of the teachings of scripture."

I agree with Kline...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 6:31PM #27
TPaine

Jul 20, 2009 -- 4:54PM, dblad wrote:

I would tie Rushdooney to Dooyeweerd ..  and name it the Standard Calvinist philosophers.

Rushdoony supported the reinstatement of the Mosaic law's penal sanctions. Under such a system, the list of civil crimes which carried a death sentence would include homosexuality, adultery, incest, lying about one's virginity, bestiality, witchcraft, idolatry or apostasy, public blasphemy, false prophesying, kidnapping, rape, and bearing false witness in a capital case.

The British Centre for Science Education called Rushdooney "a man every bit as potentially murderous as Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot or anyone else you may want to name amongst the annals of evil" and "a thoroughly evil man."

From Wiki...

Theologian Meredith G. Kline ... maintains that Reconstructionism makes the mistake of failing to understand the special prophetic role of Biblical Israel, calling it "a delusive and grotesque perversion of the teachings of scripture."

I agree with Kline...

We need to realize that this is not a benevolent organization. This group wants power and a Christian Reconstructionist theocracy. David Coe, the son of founder Doug Coe put it this way:

David Coe has suggested that members of The Family "are here to learn how to rule the world."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_(Christian_political_organization)#Participants

Here is a list of members some of the US Congress that are members of the Family.

Senate
James Inhofe R (OK)
Sam Brownback R (KS)
Jim DeMint R (SC)
Chuck Grassley R (IA)
Tom Coburn R (OK)
John Thune R (SD)
Mike Enzi R (WY)
John Ensign R (NV)
Bill Nelson D (FL)
Mark Pryor D (AR)
Susan Collins R (ME)

House
Joe Pitts R (PA)
Frank Wolf R (VA)
Zach Wamp R (TN)
Mike McIntyre D (NC)
Bart Stupak D (MI)
Heath Shuler D (NC)
Mike Doyle D (PA)
Todd Tiahrt R (KS)

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 7:46PM #28
dblad

Jul 20, 2009 -- 6:31PM, TPaine wrote:

We need to realize that this is not a benevolent organization. This group wants power and a Christian Reconstructionist theocracy. David Coe, the son of founder Doug Coe put it this way:

David Coe has suggested that members of The Family "are here to learn how to rule the world."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_(Christian_political_organization)#Participants

Here is a list of members some of the US Congress that are members of the Family.

Senate
James Inhofe R (OK)
Sam Brownback R (KS)
Jim DeMint R (SC)
Chuck Grassley R (IA)
Tom Coburn R (OK)
John Thune R (SD)
Mike Enzi R (WY)
John Ensign R (NV)
Bill Nelson D (FL)
Mark Pryor D (AR)
Susan Collins R (ME)

House
Joe Pitts R (PA)
Frank Wolf R (VA)
Zach Wamp R (TN)
Mike McIntyre D (NC)
Bart Stupak D (MI)
Heath Shuler D (NC)
Mike Doyle D (PA)
Todd Tiahrt R (KS)

Thanks for the list... I'm beginning to think these people are not so much liers afterall as they are delusional. And I think delusional is much more dangerous.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 20, 2009 - 11:16PM #29
davelaw40

Jul 20, 2009 -- 6:31PM, TPaine wrote:

Jul 20, 2009 -- 4:54PM, dblad wrote:

I would tie Rushdooney to Dooyeweerd ..  and name it the Standard Calvinist philosophers.

The British Centre for Science Education called Rushdooney "a man every bit as potentially murderous as Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot or anyone else you may want to name amongst the annals of evil" and "a thoroughly evil man."

From Wiki...

Theologian Meredith G. Kline ... maintains that Reconstructionism makes the mistake of failing to understand the special prophetic role of Biblical Israel, calling it "a delusive and grotesque perversion of the teachings of scripture."

I agree with Kline...

You didn't list Hilary.

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2009 - 1:39PM #30
TPaine
[/quote]

There were two reasons for that, Dave. She is not a current member of the House or the Senate, and although she is close to Doug Coe, she never stayed in any of the Family's women's  quarters (Potomac Point for instance), nor is she a member of the Family according to other members. I also didn't mention Clarence Thomas, who did stay at the Family owned Ivanwald house in Arlington during the Anita Hill controversy, because he also is not a member of Congress and there is no evidence he is actually a member of the Family.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook