Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Pause Switch to Standard View Commenting on Wayne Dyer's Definition...
Show More
Flag RavenTLCTaiChi July 14, 2009 2:02 PM EDT

Wayne Dyer is a nice man and I was chosen by him when he was the speaker at a well attended women's organization to help him demonstrate muscle testing. That is a popular way some people believe that the unconscious can come out into our bodies so we can get a yes or no answers to anything puzzling us.

I'd just like to express my opinion that Tao is Tao and 'Tao Te Ching' is a book. There are probably over one hundred interpretations of it into English from the Chinese.  In the 'Tao Te Ching' there are 81 chapters.  In the first chapter resides a very important non-definition of Tao..., "The Tao that can be told, (or expressed, or written about, or spoken, etc. etc.,) is not the eternal name...."

My way of playing with expressing it is that the Tao is the WAY or a path that is limitless pathways allowing us humans to find our own way toward the nameless, oneness from which we originate.

The thought may be that the minute we put that into words, it then is no longer nameless.  So perhaps we need to just keep walking along and never drawing any conclusions about what life is EXACTLY and how right we are and how wrong others might be.  We need to playfully enjoy our every second in dense form that we think is OUR LIVES...

Lao Tse, by the way lived about 500 years before Jesus Christ and some say, he came along in several incarnations.... if you believe in incarnations!

We humans love things in black and white... Yet Quantum physics begins to show us that there is no time and no space, and I believe the Ancient Taoists understood that.  But we all got way too excited about BLACK and WHITE... Wow... and then we discovered THE RAINBOW!  And now science understands that there are colors above and below the range of seven basic colors we think is all there is... Our human eyes can't even see those color emanations... We are just so in need to take our definitions and throw them all back into the cosmic soup from which we come that can't be named:  TAO....??????  Maybe we shall call it concept X? 

Flag Raven.beliefnet.com July 15, 2009 2:12 PM EDT

Wayne W. Dyer is a Taoist who said that Lao-Tzu would be shocked if he heard of Taoism as a religion if the religion was Chinese.  To prove it, look at the way the religion would be if it was Chinese.  Instead, it is Celtic, and although the aspects may not look like England, the beauty and mysticism of the faith is abundant.  Of course, the only mandate of the Taoist faith is the New Age, into which is Taoism itself.  The philosophy is differentiated from the religion.  Of course, in the philosophy of Taoism, sexual practices are found throughout.  The religion of Taoism forbids sexual intercourse as sexuality is sacred.  There are food taboos such as the eschewment of beef, pork and lamb, consumed on special occasions.  The holidays of this Taoism includes Halloween.

May God be with you.  Amen.

P.S. Pray that you would have more detail about the religious Taoism (the Right Way) as described by myself.  (No pun intended.)

Flag whirlinggal August 3, 2009 12:55 AM EDT

Hmmm--no I don't think Dr Dyer is a Taoist and I don't think that Taoism forbids sexual relations.

Npt sure where these ideas were found.

Flag Eisenhans May 6, 2011 8:44 PM EDT

Jul 15, 2009 -- 2:12PM, Raven.beliefnet.com wrote:

Wayne W. Dyer is a Taoist who said that Lao-Tzu would be shocked if he heard of Taoism as a religion if the religion was Chinese.  To prove it, look at the way the religion would be if it was Chinese.  Instead, it is Celtic, and although the aspects may not look like England, the beauty and mysticism of the faith is abundant.  Of course, the only mandate of the Taoist faith is the New Age, into which is Taoism itself.  The philosophy is differentiated from the religion.  Of course, in the philosophy of Taoism, sexual practices are found throughout.  The religion of Taoism forbids sexual intercourse as sexuality is sacred.  There are food taboos such as the eschewment of beef, pork and lamb, consumed on special occasions.  The holidays of this Taoism includes Halloween.

May God be with you.  Amen.

P.S. Pray that you would have more detail about the religious Taoism (the Right Way) as described by myself.  (No pun intended.)

That's a joke post, right...? 

Eisenhans

Flag Mak_jo_si May 7, 2011 1:24 PM EDT

A new ager a taoist?  Lao Tze will laugh if he know it have gone to a religion?  Yeah I guess, laugh because he is happy only.  Also laugh at those naive one who believe a new ager is a taoist, what a misleading disaster.

Flag ToltecLogic May 19, 2011 7:55 AM EDT

Celtic. Pagan, New Age, Sex Magic? Even if you spell magic

with a 'k' that doesn't get you any closer to the real. It is

curious here, that for every comment there are so many

vastly differing opinions when in actuality the Tao is the

ultimate unity of harmony and balance. And yet, I must

say that I take issue with Dr. Dyer's rather westernized

methods for interpretation of something so fluid and

profound as the Tao te Ching. Self imposed forceable

'meditations' on any given passage over a perscribed

period of time only serves to illustrate how very little

this man understood about the Way of Change and

how it manifest in the world. Granted there is hope

that in these self imposed linear perscribed contemplations

had he taken the time to reseach the impetus behind every

known english translation of the passage in question, then

it is conceivably possible to image some general consnsus

of a source or foundation from which such words could

be derived.  Otherwise much the same as Jung's general

impressions of oriental ideas was no better than the

self limiting occidental translations that were available

to him at the time, once again we risk falling into the

trap of one man's random speculations over a Way of

being that which to a large degree defies explanation.

Yet I remain convinced that there is a way to the Way,

and a path for each of us that leads through this maze

of confusion and half baked belief.

Post Your Reply
<CTRL+Enter> to submit
Please login to post a reply.

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook