Switch to Forum Live View Risk of mad cow disease from farmed fish?
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 2:48PM #1
Stardove

Risk of mad cow disease from farmed fish?

Since I do not eat fish or cows I'm not too worried for myself about getting mad cow disease.  Tongue out

Three U.S. scientists are concern about the potential of people contracting Creutzfeldt Jakob disease -- the human form of "mad cow disease" -- from eating farmed fish who are fed byproducts rendered from cows.

Mad cow disease, also called bovine spongiform encephalopathy is a fatal brain disease in cattle, which scientists believe can cause Creutzfeldt Jakob disease in humans who eat infected cow parts.

In the latest issue of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, Dr. Robert P. Friedland, a neurologist at University of Louisville in Kentucky and colleagues suggest that farmed fish fed contaminated cow parts could transmit Creutzfeldt Jakob disease.

More at link.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 8:24PM #2
Xristocharis

I love how as we try and make our food "better" and more "convenient" we've managed to royally f**k things up.

-Jon

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist." - Dom Hélder Câmara
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 8:29PM #3
Austinstrickland

Jul 1, 2009 -- 8:24PM, Xristocharis wrote:

I love how as we try and make our food "better" and more "convenient" we've managed to royally f**k things up.

-Jon

Well said Jon. I totally agree with you!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 12:28AM #4
Stardove

This thread has been moved from the Hot Topic Zone where it wasn't too hot.  Wink

Co-host Hot Topic Zone ~ Stardove

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook