Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View 'American Idol' Runner-Up Tells Rolling Stone He's Gay
5 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2009 - 8:43AM #21
TemplarS

Jun 11, 2009 -- 2:07AM, Justme333 wrote:

Well, the total votes on idol were more than any vote total for the President, but the viewers  can vote as much and as often as they want - unlike the political elections.

I dunno, ever been to Chicago?

"Vote early and vote often." (Attributed to Mayor Richard Daley).

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2009 - 11:07AM #22
newsjunkie

Jun 10, 2009 -- 10:31PM, jane2 wrote:

Jun 10, 2009 -- 2:43PM, TemplarS wrote:

Jane, I'm not sure I would say Idol is trash TV.  In spite of some of the overdone theatrics on the part of the judges and especially Seacrest (gag!!), it is an honest competition among people who have some very real talent, at least as much talent as half the singing "stars" out there.

Trash TV is shows like Big Brother or the Bachelor where largely annoying people with no skills and overblown egos get their 15 minutes of fame, usually by stabbing each other in the back or getting publically humiliated.

I don't watch much of that stuff either.  The other day my wife made some sort of remark about "John and Kate" and she didn't believe I was serious when  I said "John and Kate who?"; yeah, I was serious, never heard of them until she brought it up.

The one reality show I will admit to liking is the Amazing Race.

Your comment reminds me of a conversation some years ago with my husband when I mentioned Joey Buttafuco (sp?) and he said Joey who? He'd never heard of the Long Island Lolita.

Crikey--I'm missing Leno--too old for Conan!!

We're all entitled to some nonsense entertainment. I watched Celebrity Apprentice because of Herschel Walker--a Georgia athlete I loved. Also because of Scott Hamilton, a skater; I always thought he paled into insignificance after Brian Boitano--the only real athlete in male figure skating (and very gay!) But I was a skater and love the sport. Dick Button described jumping on skates perfectly--flying through the air. I loved jumping and was lousy at spinning.

A bit of an aside. Boitano is up there on my list of fave athletes. Last week I watched another fave, George Brett, totally in very bad language, cuss out the press. This week I am furious with Brave management about their treatment of Tom Glavine; he has always been a class act and they treated him very badly. (Atlanta sports are in the loo; miss Ted Turner.)

jane

Hi jane,

The only season that i watched dancing with the stars was when Kristi Yamaguchi was on -- she was fantastic -- just in a different class from the other celebs, not surprisingly. I looked forward to seeing what she and her partner would do every week ;didn't pay much attention to the other contestants. Can't even think of who they were now!

Here's a video of one of my favorite dances she did. (dance actually starts at 2min in if you want to skip the other stuff). Their jive was also terrific.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2009 - 11:17AM #23
Nepenthe

What?!?!  He's gay?!?!  Next you'll tell me is the president's black!

On my come on, he even said that it should not come as a suprise to anyone!

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2009 - 11:58AM #24
TemplarS

NJ-

My wife watches Dancing with the Stars, so I do as well some of the time.  The competition part is entertaining enough, especially if you happen to actually know the "celebrities"- sometimes they seem to really stretch the definition there.  I'm into sports, so I know the athletes (who actually do seem to win year after year).

What I cannot stand about either that show or Idol is the "results show".  Why they think we need to watch an hour of crap simply to find out who gets kicked off is beyond me.  Seacrest's pitiful theatrics with the "stand up-you're safe-sit over there-you're in the bottom two" is embarrasing to show and excruciating to watch.  Post the results on the net and be done with it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2009 - 11:36PM #25
jane2

Jun 11, 2009 -- 11:07AM, newsjunkie wrote:

Jun 10, 2009 -- 10:31PM, jane2 wrote:

Jun 10, 2009 -- 2:43PM, TemplarS wrote:

Jane, I'm not sure I would say Idol is trash TV.  In spite of some of the overdone theatrics on the part of the judges and especially Seacrest (gag!!), it is an honest competition among people who have some very real talent, at least as much talent as half the singing "stars" out there.

Trash TV is shows like Big Brother or the Bachelor where largely annoying people with no skills and overblown egos get their 15 minutes of fame, usually by stabbing each other in the back or getting publically humiliated.

I don't watch much of that stuff either.  The other day my wife made some sort of remark about "John and Kate" and she didn't believe I was serious when  I said "John and Kate who?"; yeah, I was serious, never heard of them until she brought it up.

The one reality show I will admit to liking is the Amazing Race.

Your comment reminds me of a conversation some years ago with my husband when I mentioned Joey Buttafuco (sp?) and he said Joey who? He'd never heard of the Long Island Lolita.

Crikey--I'm missing Leno--too old for Conan!!

We're all entitled to some nonsense entertainment. I watched Celebrity Apprentice because of Herschel Walker--a Georgia athlete I loved. Also because of Scott Hamilton, a skater; I always thought he paled into insignificance after Brian Boitano--the only real athlete in male figure skating (and very gay!) But I was a skater and love the sport. Dick Button described jumping on skates perfectly--flying through the air. I loved jumping and was lousy at spinning.

A bit of an aside. Boitano is up there on my list of fave athletes. Last week I watched another fave, George Brett, totally in very bad language, cuss out the press. This week I am furious with Brave management about their treatment of Tom Glavine; he has always been a class act and they treated him very badly. (Atlanta sports are in the loo; miss Ted Turner.)

jane

Hi jane,

The only season that i watched dancing with the stars was when Kristi Yamaguchi was on -- she was fantastic -- just in a different class from the other celebs, not surprisingly. I looked forward to seeing what she and her partner would do every week ;didn't pay much attention to the other contestants. Can't even think of who they were now!

Here's a video of one of my favorite dances she did. (dance actually starts at 2min in if you want to skip the other stuff). Their jive was also terrific.

NJ

I watched that year, too. I love Kristi. I've long thought that Kristi never got real attention she deserved because she was Japanese-American. That did reverse with Michelle Kwan--another athlete I so admire. Kristi won gold and Michelle silver and the phony bronze-- she was better than Irina. Something that has occurred in the skating world that I can applaud is that the Olympic gold no longer defines totally. Kerrigan outskated Baiul, too, but Nancy still has cache with her silver and bronze.

Story time--the night that Kristi won gold and Kerrigan bronze I hosted a family winter Olympics party--we still have pix. Did fondue, etc. In 1988 I took my grown children to see Tom Collin's Tour of Champions--Brian and Katerina and Gordeeva and Gringov. We went the next year and Boitano did a triple axel in exhibition--blew me away. I've probably been to 6 or 8 of those tours here in Atlanta--took my granddaughter one year.

For many years the only network shows I've watched with any regularity are the NBC ten o'clock dramas--Law and Order, any flavor and ER. They are too expensive to produce any longer.

So how's your summer going to go? Always love your posts.

Templar

Too funny about Chicago politics!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 2:10AM #26
Justme333

Jun 11, 2009 -- 8:43AM, TemplarS wrote:

Jun 11, 2009 -- 2:07AM, Justme333 wrote:

Well, the total votes on idol were more than any vote total for the President, but the viewers  can vote as much and as often as they want - unlike the political elections.

I dunno, ever been to Chicago?

"Vote early and vote often." (Attributed to Mayor Richard Daley).

LOL!!  I actually thought about that when I was writing my other post.  Thanks for brightening my day.

Justme

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 9:17AM #27
newsjunkie

Jun 11, 2009 -- 11:58AM, TemplarS wrote:

NJ-

My wife watches Dancing with the Stars, so I do as well some of the time.  The competition part is entertaining enough, especially if you happen to actually know the "celebrities"- sometimes they seem to really stretch the definition there.  I'm into sports, so I know the athletes (who actually do seem to win year after year).

What I cannot stand about either that show or Idol is the "results show".  Why they think we need to watch an hour of crap simply to find out who gets kicked off is beyond me.  Seacrest's pitiful theatrics with the "stand up-you're safe-sit over there-you're in the bottom two" is embarrasing to show and excruciating to watch.  Post the results on the net and be done with it.

I forgot to say yesterday that The Amazing Race is must-see TV for me.

You are so right about results shows -- way too long. Several years ago I had the extended cable package that included BBC America and watched shows like Changing Rooms and What not to wear. They were half-hour shows. When these shows were brought to the US as Trading Spaces and I guess it's still called what's not to wear here. they went to an hour. Way too long! This must be due to the expense of original programming. Having these reality shows run for an hour is way cheaper.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 12, 2009 - 9:20AM #28
newsjunkie

Jun 11, 2009 -- 11:36PM, jane2 wrote:

NJ

I watched that year, too. I love Kristi. I've long thought that Kristi never got real attention she deserved because she was Japanese-American. That did reverse with Michelle Kwan--another athlete I so admire. Kristi won gold and Michelle silver and the phony bronze-- she was better than Irina. Something that has occurred in the skating world that I can applaud is that the Olympic gold no longer defines totally. Kerrigan outskated Baiul, too, but Nancy still has cache with her silver and bronze.

Story time--the night that Kristi won gold and Kerrigan bronze I hosted a family winter Olympics party--we still have pix. Did fondue, etc. In 1988 I took my grown children to see Tom Collin's Tour of Champions--Brian and Katerina and Gordeeva and Gringov. We went the next year and Boitano did a triple axel in exhibition--blew me away. I've probably been to 6 or 8 of those tours here in Atlanta--took my granddaughter one year.

For many years the only network shows I've watched with any regularity are the NBC ten o'clock dramas--Law and Order, any flavor and ER. They are too expensive to produce any longer.

So how's your summer going to go? Always love your posts.

Templar

Too funny about Chicago politics!!

Hi jane -- I loved Gordeeva & Grinkov!

It's so hot and humid here!!! I keep thinking I should go skating, but never actually end up at a rink. Have been working on giving my kitchen a face-lift. So far I painted the cabinets. I had such a busy spring semester it is a relief to have a break now. I have been reading and enjoying your posts, too, especially those on this new board.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2009 - 11:46AM #29
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Note that while a relaxed (site-wide) ROC standard applied to the discussion on that forum, the tighter forum ROCs apply to discussion on this thread from this point forward.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook