Switch to Forum Live View Another Love-Letter-on-Tape from OBL
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 2:20PM #1
Merope

In a new audio recording released today, Osama bin Laden threatens Americans, saying President Obama has inflamed hatred toward the US by ordering Pakistan to crack down on Al-Qaeda in Swat Valley and block Islamic law there.  In the recording, OBL claims that US pressure has led to a campaign of "killing, fighting, bombing and destruction" that prompted the exodus of a million Muslims from Swat in northwest Pakistan.  Story here.

The recording aired for the first time on pan-Arab Al-Jazeera Television.  It seems clear to me that the recording is timed to coincide with the start of Obama's visit to the Middle East.  I don't think Al-Jazeera held the recording for release today, but some have raised that possibility.

The background on this is that, in April, Pakistan launched a military offensive to expel the Taliban from Swat Valley after the militants abandoned a peace deal with the government that gave them control of the region.  The offensive, strongly backed by Washington, is seen as a test of Pakistan's resolve against militants in the northwestern border region near Afghanistan.  Pakistanis tired of militant attacks in the country that have killed hundreds of civilians have also supported the campaign.  But the fighting has uprooted some 3 million people.

Threats aside, does he have a point?  Just stirring the pot?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 2:35PM #2
Merope

In other al-Qaeda news, a British man held hostage in Mali since January has been executed by al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) -- a 300-strong Islamist terrorist group that operates in the desert borderlands of Algeria, Mali, Niger, and Mauritania.  Story here.

The execution occurred despite intense behind-the-scenes negotiations by British and local officials in Mali.

The executed man -- Edwin Dyer -- was one of four European tourists kidnapped on January 22 as they returned from a music festival in Mali.  Dyer was on holiday in West Africa.  Of the four hostages, two were released in April.

The hostage-takers have been bargaining for the release from the UK of Abu Qatada, described in the linked article as a "radical cleric."  He is being held in Long Lartin prison in Worcestershire while he fights extradition to Jordan, where he faces terrorism charges.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 2:38PM #3
Christianlib

Jun 3, 2009 -- 2:20PM, Merope wrote:

In a new audio recording released today, Osama bin Laden threatens Americans, saying President Obama has inflamed hatred toward the US by ordering Pakistan to crack down on Al-Qaeda in Swat Valley and block Islamic law there.  In the recording, OBL claims that US pressure has led to a campaign of "killing, fighting, bombing and destruction" that prompted the exodus of a million Muslims from Swat in northwest Pakistan.  Story here.

The recording aired for the first time on pan-Arab Al-Jazeera Television.  It seems clear to me that the recording is timed to coincide with the start of Obama's visit to the Middle East.  I don't think Al-Jazeera held the recording for release today, but some have raised that possibility.

The background on this is that, in April, Pakistan launched a military offensive to expel the Taliban from Swat Valley after the militants abandoned a peace deal with the government that gave them control of the region.  The offensive, strongly backed by Washington, is seen as a test of Pakistan's resolve against militants in the northwestern border region near Afghanistan.  Pakistanis tired of militant attacks in the country that have killed hundreds of civilians have also supported the campaign.  But the fighting has uprooted some 3 million people.

Threats aside, does he have a point?  Just stirring the pot?

Well, SOMEBODY thinks it is important to keep the American masses frightened of Al Queda.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2009 - 2:32AM #4
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Note that while a relaxed (site-wide) ROC standard applied to the discussion on that forum, the tighter forum ROCs apply to discussion on this thread from this point forward.

Merope
Beliefnet Community Host
Hot Topics Zone

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2009 - 8:20AM #5
rangerken

We should not be frightened by Al Queda, CL. We should simply continue to accept that they have chosen to be our mortal enemy, and therefore we should do everything in our power to hunt down and kill all of them. When someone says they want to kill my family, friends and me, and when that someone does in fact kill some, and when that someone brags about it and says that they intend to do more of it, they should certainly be taken seriously...as in found and killed first!

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2009 - 8:40AM #6
Christianlib

Notice, Ken, I said "SOMEBODY WANTS TO KEEP US FRIGHTENED."

That's considerably different from saying "I am frightened," or "we should be frightened."

Vigilent.  Careful.  Not "fraidy cats."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2009 - 9:41AM #7
Merope

Jun 10, 2009 -- 8:20AM, rangerken wrote:

We should not be frightened by Al Queda, CL. We should simply continue to accept that they have chosen to be our mortal enemy, and therefore we should do everything in our power to hunt down and kill all of them. When someone says they want to kill my family, friends and me, and when that someone does in fact kill some, and when that someone brags about it and says that they intend to do more of it, they should certainly be taken seriously...as in found and killed first!

Ken

What struck me first and foremost as soon as I read about this tape was that it was OBL who was afraid of Obama's speech and concomitant overture to Muslims.  I still think that's the case, and that's the reason OBL came out with this tape at that particular time -- he's got a lot to lose.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook