Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11
5 years ago  ::  Jul 01, 2009 - 1:55PM #101
johndavid23

habesor,

#1 - I would not be outraged if P. Obama made a speech supporting Israeli interests.  He is a moderate and is unlikely to change what has been the US foreign policy for our lifetimes.

#2 - Yes, Israelis have created a nation for  Jewish people to flee to from oppression.  Unfortunately, they have also engaged in the oppression of others.  I do not see the world as a kill or be killed world.  There are other possibilities, and with enough therapy, perhaps the Israelis can see those other possibilities also.  Especially now in the age of anti-anxiety meds. It is necessary for the Israelis to stop treating the Palestinians as slave-rats and acknowledge their humanity, to open Med. ports to ships, to open borders to trade, to return stolen lands to their people and their heirs.  Running a Guantanamo of refugees for fifty years has not helped bring peace to the MidEast.

I suspect that that was part of the US plan:  Keep it appearing that the Israelis and Arabs were fighting to keep the region unstable, so that the oil companies could have their way with everyone.

Well, enough of that crap;  it is time for peace.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2009 - 1:33AM #102
habesor

JohnDavid, you wrote:

"#1 - I would not be outraged if P. Obama made a speech supporting Israeli interests.  He is a moderate and is unlikely to change what has been the US foreign policy for our lifetimes."

You don't have to argue with me about this. Your argument is really with Walt and Miersheimer and many of the Israel bashers on these boards and elsewhere who assert that support for Israel damages American national interests. By the way, they almost never identify what those national interests are. However, in passing, Walt and Miersheimer mumbled something about maintaining American access to Middle Eastern oil resources. You might want to contemplate that aspect of the pro-Arab side of this debate. My only question would be whether or not they are really pro-Arab.

"#2 - Yes, Israelis have created a nation for  Jewish people to flee to from oppression.  Unfortunately, they have also engaged in the oppression of others.  I do not see the world as a kill or be killed world.  There are other possibilities, and with enough therapy, perhaps the Israelis can see those other possibilities also.  Especially now in the age of anti-anxiety meds. It is necessary for the Israelis to stop treating the Palestinians as slave-rats and acknowledge their humanity, to open Med. ports to ships, to open borders to trade, to return stolen lands to their people and their heirs.  Running a Guantanamo of refugees for fifty years has not helped bring peace to the MidEast."

The truth is that the one thing Jews learned in the twentieth century is that pacifism, good thoughts and being in the right, doesn't work in keeping Jews alive. What worked best was several armoured and infantry divisions and an efficient air force all flying a blue and white star of David flag. That may be a sad comment on the state of the world but I think that it is true. As for the poor oppressed Arabs and their twenty-two states stretching from the Atlantic Ocean to the Persian Gulf, sitting on a vast sea of oil, somehow, I think that they could have done better through negotiations and trade with the Jewish State then through their insistence on warfare as the only means of dealing with the twenty-third state in the Middle East. If anything proves that war is stupid, it is the Arab war against the Jews.

"I suspect that that was part of the US plan:  Keep it appearing that the Israelis and Arabs were fighting to keep the region unstable, so that the oil companies could have their way with everyone."

I find it a little odd that you have this attitude toward the oil companies and yet you are quick to accept much of the Arab line on this conflict. Why haven't you twigged that the oil companies and their allies within the American foreign policy community produced much of the Arab line which you accept and have always pressed for the abandonment of all American support for Israel.  

"Well, enough of that crap;  it is time for peace."

You won't get any argument from me about that.

Habesor

Habesor
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 11  •  Prev 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook