Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Conan Succeeds Leno and Carson: Do the Shoes Fit?
5 years ago  ::  Jun 25, 2009 - 10:29PM #21
MarleneEmmett5

I grew up watching Jack Parr and Jhonny Carson.
I liked Jay Leno~he was funny.

But Conan O'Brien isn't funny to me~sorry. He looks like a overgrown Lepricaun.
His show shouldn't even be called "the Tonight Show"~the title shoud be retired.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2009 - 4:17AM #22
Don't_Be_Captious

I thought that sort of sentiment might happen.

NBC has made misstep after misstep ever since at least "Friends" left the air, if not since "Seinfeld."

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2009 - 1:02PM #23
MsCGheartofohio

Hey all,

I'm afraid that Conan isn't my thing.  I think he's a great writer, but it doesn't translate in person for me.

It's funny to me how most of the current late show hosts are of the "love me or hate me" variety.  I think almost everyone liked Carson.  I wasn't a 'gotta watch every night' fan, but when I did, I enjoyed it.  I have always loved Letterman - always felt that he was the heir apparent to Johnny, and was delighted to see him succeed on CBS.  Yet, people seem either to love him, or they can't stand him. 

Leno never really roped me in.  In fact I was taken aback to hear how many years he had been host! 

Jun 25, 2009 -- 9:16AM, Don't_Be_Captious wrote:

I love when he drones on and on about something, usuallly in his monologues -- then digresses when some word or phrase pops up -- then digresses even more, anytime some interesting word or topic sidetracks him -- then finally he growls in Scottish, "What th' hell was aye talkin' about?"

My favorite hook, however, is probably when he says "...Remind you of anyone?"

Like say he's somehow talking about a showerhead: "cheap, flexible, goes both ways" ... "Remind you of anyone?"

To me, Ferguson is the funniest host on late night.  When he does something that falls flat, he knocks on himself, and doesn't go for blood with his guests.  He projects a real sense of fun that gets me every time.  Wish he wasn't on past my bedtime!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 6:16AM #24
Don't_Be_Captious

Yeah, Ferguson used to be a punk rock musician (no kidding).  I heard him tell the tale of being at some White House dinner with G.W. Bush & Cheney; Dubya introduced Craig as a lad from Scotland who used to be in a punk rock band called Bastards From Hell.  Anyway, I think he's got a knack for being punk-rock-nihilist-like, and yet also a decent human at the same time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook