Switch to Forum Live View Can anyone suggest a book...
5 years ago  ::  May 10, 2009 - 8:26PM #1
412bntune

I've attended a few Pagan women's circles in the past and felt as though I was a real part of it all. I felt welcome and that I "fit". Those friends that invited me have since moved. I really thought that I was connecting with the universe. From what I learned, which wasn't much,  I was left with a yearning to learn more.  I was a little supprised when I took the Faith Test here on beliefnet. As it turns out, I was matched 99 % to Paganism. I don't know anyone in this area who practices and I'm not sure how to go about learning more. Can anyone suggest a specific book that may help point me in the right direction?

searching....

412bntune

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 10, 2009 - 9:06PM #2
samhainautumnwood

Glad you found a place that you feel you belong. That's a wonderful feeling.

I wouldn't recommend a single book.

I would recommend reading a lot of books....

The more the better.

If you ask 20 Pagans a question, odds are you will get upwards to 40+ answers.

When I started reading about the different faiths/ philosophies that fall under the Pagan umbrella, I ended up more often with more questions than answers. I found the questions to be more valuable to me than the answers because they caused me to ask more questions of myself.

Some of the books that were helpful to me are:

Sacred Balance - David Suzuki

Gaia - James Lovelock

A Witch Alone - Marian Green

The Four Agreements - Don Miguel Ruiz

Spiral Dance - Starhawk

Wicca - Guide for the Solitary Practioner - Cunningham

Power of Myth - Joseph Campbell

The Pagan Man - Bonewitts

Peace is in Every Step - Thich Nhat Hanh

Ethics for a New Millenium - Dalai Lama.

Obviously, not all Pagan authors or books, and all things are interconnected. There are aspects for example in Ruiz's Four Agreements that shed a different light on aspects of personal power and responsibilty (very Pagan issues).

There are many, many more. Each can teach (even the sucky ones) because they give you an opportunity to ask yourself: "why do I think this author is full of baloney and what exactly is it I want them to say?"

Have fun exploring....

peace,

samhain autumnwood.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 10, 2009 - 9:43PM #3
gorm-sionnach

A fairly decent survey text is Pagan Paths.

There are also several essays on a large number of Pagan traditions on Witchvox.

Deffinetly agree with Samhain, the more you read the better.

Truth in our hearts, Strength in our arms, Fulfillment in our tongues.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 11, 2009 - 7:53AM #4
CreakyHedgewitch

412bntune,

All the Faith Test on Beliefnet does is match generic answers to generic categories. It doesn't indicate where someone belongs or what they are, rather it simply points someone in directions they can explore further.

As for Paganism itself, well it isn't 'a' religion or a singular belief system. It is perhaps best understood as a modern movement or a diverse spectrum of beliefs to which individuals self-identify and which they self-define. Consensus does happen though to date limited to transmitted traditions and from these smaller established faiths 'within' modern Paganism do evolve such as Dianic Paganism, Wicca, Pagan Witchcraft Traditions, etc. Paganism in itself remains experiential in validation. Beyond that the only generalities one may or may not find amongst self-identified Pagans are the concept of self-responsibility, experiential learning (first-hand) trumps all other sources such as written books, the Divine is usually polytheistic in definition and nature is not irrelevant to one's spirituality.

May I ask you that when you say Pagan women's circles, are you referring to Women's or Feminist Spirituality/Paganism, also known as Dianic Paganism? Or perhaps even Dianic Wicca, which is something different IMO. If so and while the suggestions to date are excellent, these related more to, if I can use the term mainstream Paganism and - and being a Dianic Pagan - part of the reading list you may be searching for may not be covered by these. Please let me know as I can certainly provide a reading list if that is where you are searching.

And although your friends have moved on, your connection to the universe remains. In other words, you can't be disconnected from the universe, you are an essential part of it. Remaining aware of this may be harder in some ways without others to participate with but quite doable.

C.H.

No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 11, 2009 - 8:44PM #5
itty

Welcome bntune! Creaky is right. Those are generic tests. They will get you in the ball park but you have to figure out to get around the bases. You did pick a very good forum here. Bnet has has issues over the years and is going through a cycle right now. Bnet isn't going anywhere. I suggest looking around here and in other areas as finding out people you want to get to know. There are many, many of us here.

Samhain_autumnwood gave you a pretty good list. I will try to give you a couple more.

Be uderstand that many of my reccomentations with he Wiccan or will have Wiccan emphasis. I have been Wiccan for over a decade and so my lib rary and my preferences are geared this way.

I wouold reccomend books by tee Campanelli's. The Wheel of the Year is excellent.

I also reccoment "The Pagan Way"  I also reccomend books by Stweart and Janet Farrar as well as Gavin Bone and Janet Farrar. The older works have a Wiccan emphasis but their newer work is Pagan.

That is a bit. I hope it helps. Welcome and I hope to see you again. I will look forward to seeing you.

itty

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook