Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The New England Garden
5 years ago  ::  May 17, 2009 - 8:26PM #21
Taurscorpiomoon

If the plant had been a Columbine, I would have recognized the foliage.  This is totally new to me, but I plan to figure it out.  It's a matter principle now!!!  LOL

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 17, 2009 - 10:53PM #22
LuvBear

Sorry, I've been busy in more ways then one. I have my mom to look out for who is in a Board & Care plus.........  I live in Northern Calif. and the fires were in Southern Calif. Pretty awful tho. My son-in-law begged me to join facebook even tho I already have a My Space. On facebook you play this crazy game where you own your own farm. I already have enough yard to take care of here. lol!

Any way, I have been weeding my garden so I can get ready to plant my veg. garden. I had to quit for a couple of days as we got up to 90 degrees then 98 degress then today 102. Too hot to do anything. I also need to replace to plants that the frost killed. I had a beautiful Hibiscus out back and the frost killed it. I can't rememer what the other plant was as I forgot to mark the spot but what ever it was it died. I also am planning on putting in about 8 rose bushes. I love roses. My husband got tired of bringing me roses and then they sometimes not opening up right or dying to soon, so I decied to put my own in.

Taurscorpiomo- Did you see the flower on the plant? There is a plant known as "Corydalis Sempervirens", which leaves resemble a bleeding heart but are smokey bluish green and the flower is a bright pink w/ yellow tips.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 18, 2009 - 9:36AM #23
westlilies

Burr...it's chilly!  I think we may be at record breaking temperatures here in New England for the next day or so.  But no FROST yet.  Luv Bear, the HEAT sounds almost unbearable.  Corydalis is a great guess...we call it Fumewort...can't wait to hear what "T" comes up with.  One of the "free" plants I have cultivated in my garden is a grass that produces little blue flowers.  It's in bloom now...I have at least 100 of these little beauties.  The first one I found was mixed in a small pachysandra bed...don't know where it came from...but I call it "baby blue eyes."  I'm thinking a bird dropped seed.  The plant makes quite a lot of seed after blooming.  It has a vase shape, grows up to 8" tall and the blades are a light blue green.  The only other place I've ever seen this grass is in Bermuda!  I went there about 6 years ago and was so surprised to see it there.    

Luv Bear...your Mom...don't know what to say...I believe in the power of prayer and you can email me through B'net.  Feel free to connect.  Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 18, 2009 - 2:59PM #24
LuvBear

I don't mine saying here. My mom has Parkinson's. She has had it for 17 yrs. She will be 85 on the 20th of this month. Thankfully she has enough money to be cared for by someone else as I have a bad back and such that I couldn't do it myself. I still have a lot to do. Bills to pay and errands to run for her. Plus I visit her every other day.

Not sure if I have ever seen the blue flower you are talking about. I bet it is beautiful. I once had a plant brought by the birds. I only know it as cup and saucer. Does that sound right? It was purple in color and it grows about 2 ft tall.  I meant to see if I could get from seeds from it and I didn't.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 19, 2009 - 8:33PM #25
westlilies

Hello to all.  Isn't it amazing how hard we are willing to work in our gardens?  My back hurts and my clothes are dirty but it's worth it.  This is my favorite time of year.  My Bearded Irises are beginning to bloom...they look great! 

T...have you identified your mystery plant yet?
LB...you sound like you have your hands full...and a bad back doesn't mix well with gardening.Smile

Talk to you tomorrow.  Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 20, 2009 - 12:02AM #26
LuvBear

westlilies - You would be surprised how much yard work I can do. I just have to watch how I do it. My husband it a big help to. I love to tinker in the garden and put in at least 2 or 3 hrs once or twice a week. There is plenty to do when you have flowers and the ever dreaded weed! lol! Soon I wll get my veggies in then I will be busy with that. I like keeping busy.Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 20, 2009 - 9:14AM #27
westlilies

Weeds!  Seeds that were scattered on the ground long ago...There's a lesson in there.
Happy Birthday to your Mom, LB...85 years certainly worth a celebration.
My garden has become like a sanctuary to me.  I feel privileged to have it.  There are birds singing and dew drops sparkling on top of the grass.  Awesome! 
My back is still a little sore, so I think I'll just look and plan today.  All of my little seedlings are hardening off on the north side of the house.  I plan to get them into the ground on the week-end.  Until next time,  Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 20, 2009 - 1:48PM #28
LuvBear

Mine has become a sanctuary also. We put a nice patio with a cover.  I have a bird bath & bird feeder. I sit out back quite a lot. I consider my back yard my hide away from the world. lol! It to me is a destresser. My husband is working on putting in a water fall of some sort for me so it will be even nicer. I live out there all spring and summer until it gets to cold to sit out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 21, 2009 - 9:08AM #29
westlilies

It's another glorious day!  There is just enough of a breeze to make the shadows on the lawn look like they are dancing.  My favorite shrub is in bloom.  It's a mature double-file viburnum.  The branching is horizontal and reaches more than 12 feet...maybe as much as 14 feet.  It was a Birthday gift to me from my sons many years ago.  It seems to say their love and honor for me has expanded and grown more beautiful with each passing year.  LB, thanks for reminding me about my birdbath.  It needed to come out of storage and be placed in a convenient spot for daily filling. Happy gardening to all.  Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 23, 2009 - 8:27AM #30
westlilies

The garden centers are so busy...you'd never think anyone was worried about money.  I guess it's because plants make us feel good!  It doesn't matter if we have a window box or pots or a giant border, there's just something about plants that satisfies the soul.  A friend gave me an iris a few years ago and it bloomed for the first time yesterday.  Well worth the wait...it's a strong purple with deeper purple falls.  It's beautiful!  Have a great week-end.   Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook