Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Spiritual Awakening and The Weight Loss Journey
9 years ago  ::  May 24, 2009 - 6:19PM #31
westlilies

Hi Wendy,  It's a stormy Sunday afternoon...I'm bored (storm knocked TV out) and I'm just too lazy to do much of anything.  But, so far so good with my food choices.  That's because I've been careful not to bring junk into the house.  Tomorrow is a holiday and I'm planning a little hot dog roast.  Nothing much...burgers, dogs, a small bowl of potato salad, watermelon and iced tea.  It won't be a perfect "diet" day but I'm planning to keep busy and take small portions.  And of course all my "planning" needs God's help.  So I'll start my day with prayer.  Do you have a plan?
Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 27, 2009 - 2:50AM #32
MelissaHlovesGod

Hi, Everyone!

I betcha all thought I gave up and crawled somewhere and died, huh? Nope, just been really really busy. What with school, the reunion, and all I haven't had time to rub two thoughts together. My best friend in the world came down from GA and stayed with me two days (I wish it could have been more) for the reunion (which was a bust) and then went on to see other family and friends in the area. Oh well, I guess I can't hog all her time.

The only really bad part of the reunion I didn't like was there was no organization. Think of a bunch a monkees running around and you'll get a good idea how it was. There was only four of our class there and two of them didn't mix with the two of us. I guess the class chaste system is still alive and well. The best part was the alumni football game. The "old" guys agains the "young" guys. Of course the young guys smeared the old guys, I think the score was 49 to zip but everyone had a whole lot of fun. Everytime there was a tackle, there was a helping hand to lift someone whether it be an old guy or young guy up off the grass. There was a lot of joking around and just a lot of fun to be had.

I went to my bariatrician's and he said I lost 5 more lbs! Which is good because I've been gaining weight. I made the mistake of eating at some fast food places for a couple of weeks and you know how much it tempts you to not eat healthy there! Anyway, I'm d oing a lot better now.

I am finding I like Theology better than Psychology in my studies and Psych is supposed to be my major! I still want to be a school/church counselor so I better stick with it.

Sorry to give you a book but I was just so excited to tell you all what has been happening with me. Take care. May God Bless You. Oh, yeah. There is one bit of bad news. The last time I saw my foot doctor, he said I did something to the ligaments in my heel and I wasn't allowed to go walking for a time, not even water aerobics! I was so mad! I love water aerobics, but I don;t want my heel to get worse so I've been minding the doctor as best as I can.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  May 31, 2009 - 8:02AM #33
westlilies

Prayer:  This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it! 
Girls, it is so important (to me) to live out that statement.  I am totally convinced that loneliness and not being fulfilled is the root cause of my overeating.  Example: yesterday I had lunch at a friend's house.  She was most considerate and made a lovely healthy lunch.  Our relationship is pleasant enough but not balanced.  She on the one hand is trying to be my "best friend."  I on the other hand already have a "best friend" who is quite busy at this time and I miss her.  So I'm trying to stay social. But I must admit that I was glad when the event was over.  Nothing wrong on her end...it was me. Anyway by evening I was off and running with food.  I couldn't fill that emptiness I so often feel.  I didn't pray, I made another sandwich!   I'm telling you this because I am determined to change my behavior and believe that God will help me if I get closer to Him.  Can anyone relate?   Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 06, 2009 - 9:53AM #34
westlilies

Dear Ladies,  this has been a fair to the middle week for me.  I am still walking 45 minutes at a clip (rain or shine) 3 X's a week and my prayer remains the same.  I will rejoice and be glad...each day is a new opportunity to smile, to speak kindly to others, and to speak kindly to and about myself.  Some gals at my church have all decided to follow another diet book and  I've decided to join them. Their first meeting will be in two weeks, giving each of us the time to prepare for the commitment.  Right now there are 6 of us and each one has several food sensitivities...mine are dairy and certain grains.  We all agree that "fat free," and "sugar free," foods are to be avoided.  We also agree that we need to at least "walk" 20 minutes a day as a stress buster.  I have been at a stand still for a long time and I'm hoping that will change very soon.  One of the women says she wants to reclaim her self esteem.  Another one said she is tired of being tired all of the time. Health seems to be the most  important issue for all of us.  And we are all over 50...giving us yet another common denominator.  And, like this group, prayer will be a vital part of our program.  I'll keep you posted if you'd like...let me know.  Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 11:24PM #35
spudette

Hi, everyone. I know I promised to be more faithful about joining you ladies, but I've been kind of in hiding, i'm not even sure why. Mostly sad and depressed about a lot of different things, mainly. It's good to know that I always will find acceptance in this place. You're a pretty wonderful bunch, you know that?

Cathy spent almost three weeks with me last month. It was great to have her here. She tries to convince me that I need to keep a journal, but the idea doesn't do anything for m. In other words, I don't want to... just like I don't want to count calories. My idea of portion control is what Dr. Phil shows in his book: a cup of this, or half a cup of that, or the size of the palm of your hand for the meat. My personal plan involves not thinking in terms of dieting, because if I think in these terms, I keep thinking of the time when I will reach my goal and not have to diet anymore. I prefer to think in terms of changing my habits and my tastes. I agree that when you want to reach for food for the wrong reasons, it helps to keep yur hands busy doing something else, especially something that makes it physically impossible to eat at the same time, like taking a shower. I heard someone recommending this in connection with stopping smoking, and I thought it should work well with eating, too.Smile Just imagine what that cookie would look like under the shower !!! or that cigarette ...

Lily, I know about loneliness too. When you live alone and you can't find anyone at the other end of the phone line, there is always Someone right there with you wherever you are, and you can tell Him how you feel. He's always ready to put His arms around you.    

Wendy, I love your poems. Thank you for sharing them.

I love you all. Many blessings. Alice                                                           

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 6:03PM #36
Soonb2mrsf

Hi Im new to this group I love the topic.  I hope we can help each other. I have fibromyalgia and i am bipolar and have anxiety problems I take many pills for all of this and It makes me gain weight I am feelin very discouraged. Does anyone have any bible quotes that can help?

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 20, 2009 - 12:08PM #37
westlilies

Hello girls!
I see we have a new friend...welcome.
The changes we each desire will require long term commitment.
To me, going on a diet is temporary torture.  It feels so restrictive
and I find myself isolating myself just so I can stay on track.  That's
why I have failed so often.  I know what works...but my "want to"
is a little lame right now.  The church group that I mentioned on an
earlier post has not become established yet but I am hopeful that we
will launch our program this week.  I'm not looking for a miracle but
I do need strength beyond myself.  2 Cor. 6:17,18 seems to indicate
That God wants to be involved in our lives in a very close way.  But
we have to do our part first.  Talk to you soon,  Lily

FYI...adding extra fiber to one's daily intake is not only good for
health but also seems to help with weight loss.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2009 - 1:10PM #38
sabrinaswinter

Dear Lily, Melissa, and Spudette:

It is so nice to hear from all of you. Lily, you are so right.  Many times overeating comes from bouts of loneliness.  I know mine is related to those emotional feelings, too. 

My questions is one for the group.  As women, how can we deal with loneliness without overeating.  My heart is encouraging us to develop an emotional support system or literally a weight loss buddy in your neighborhood.  Walk with a friend.  If no one is around, walk with God.

Melissa, your class reunions sounds confusing.  I hope you had a lovely time anyway.  Also good luck in school.  I am so proud of you.

Spudette, welcome back.  I'm so happy Cathy is helping you.

Yours truly,

Wendy

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2009 - 1:13PM #39
sabrinaswinter

Dear SoonB2:

Welcome abroad.  I know my medical condition also contributes to my weight gain.  You're with friends.

It is a pleasure to have you!

Yours truly,

Wendy

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2009 - 8:46PM #40
westlilies

Dear ones, failing is not an option.  So let's do as Wendy suggests...find a pass time that both occupies and satisfies.  When I am lonely I eat too much and too fast.  I haven't found my answer yet but most of the time I've noticed that this behavior is more prevalent after dark.  Once in a while a good movie will captivate my attention.  I enjoy mysteries, old romantic comedies and old classics.  I also play some of the games available on the computer such as "free cell" and "spider solitaire." 
My church group never got off the ground...vacations...weddings...picnics...excuses, excuses, excuses!  So, here I am again, hoping and praying someone or something inspires me to be more responsible for myself.  Prayer: God, Your mercies are new every morning...we ask that tomorrow morning we each wake with Your strength to own and love our bodies enough to just do one day correctly.  One day...and we'll deal with the next day when it arrives.  I thank You God, in advance because I know You hear our cry for help and I know You are faithful to answer us.  Amen     Lily

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook