Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View The Fate of Resolutions at the GA
6 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2009 - 1:16PM #11
mitchel1

I think it would be great if you got up to speak on the resolution at the Assembly. It would help disspell the notion that everyone who has ever put on a uniform thinks the same way.

What we are facing is a trend that has already be manifested in most regions. Controversal resolution are no longer entertained in Regional Assemblies as they once were. Peace and justice concerns are silenced. The General Assembly is the last place where they are voiced. I think it is a serious mistake to allow this silencing to happen. Some of the justice ministry people I know are reluctantly going along and hoping for the best. I think it will be next to impossible to reverse course once Sense-of-the-Assembly resolutions are abolished, no matter how unsatsfying the result from the perspective of those of us who believe a peace and justice witness is essential. I realize that some will claim that the "Call" really doesn't end our witness in matters of public concern but I think that is how it will end up functioning. Most issues will be filtered out before they ever hit the General Assembly and the few that remain will face paralysis through analysis. All that remains are emergency resolutions. What do we do? Hope for a relevant emergence every two years? And what gets to count as an "emergency"? It doesn't look good.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 24, 2009 - 6:33PM #12
mecdukebec

Oh, I intend to be in uniform, Mitchel, but whether I say anything controversial is another story; however, I will make it clear that ending speaking prophetically through GA means the end of my standing in the DoC and transfering of standing to the UCC. 

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 12:20PM #13
mitchel1

Why not speak out? I would be glad to stand beside you at a microphone. If speaking out in uniform is a problem, I'd be happy to hold your jacket and shirt while you speak. I'm sure you can say some interesting things I'm not capable of saying.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 8:26PM #14
mecdukebec

Mitchel, you are a kind soul, but after years of indoctrination by Rush, et al., I highly doubt that the "support the troops" crowd will hear anything about military suicide rates climbing, wounded, strained families, with anything less than cries of 'traitor.'

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 28, 2009 - 11:48PM #15
Campbellite

Dear God! I hope you are wrong about that.

You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 12:43PM #16
stonecampbell74

Hi folks.

Can anyone say where I might read more about this resolution?  And what is the PFD?  As I've stated before, I'm transferring to the cc(DoC) from the independent cc.  I am transferring so that I know I'm not alone in my concern for social justice and so that I can be myself theologically without being cut from conversations or booted out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 30, 2009 - 4:29PM #17
Campbellite

It's DPF, and that stands for Disciples Peace Fellowship. The DPF continues to stand squarely in the middle of our "historic peace church" tradition. The organization dates back to 1935, but the DOC emphasis on peace goes back to Bro. Alexander. Campbell opposed the Civil War, not because of the issue of slavery (which he also opposed) but because he believed that war inevitably led to Christians killing their fellow Christians. (This position got him in trouble with DOCs on both sides of the Mason-Dixon line.)

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 10:58AM #18
mitchel1

Well, we made it through another General Assembly. There was good and not-so-good, just like every Assembly. I'm glad to say that the Call to Action did not pass. Sense-of-the-Assembly resolutions continue to live. The Call received a majority vote but it needed 2/3. There were some good ideas in the Call. I would like to see some of those ideas implimented but without abolishing resolutions on peace and justice issues. We do need to address controversal issues with something better than a series of three minute speeches, pro and con, and a vote at the end of 20 or 40 minutes. But I do believe the Assembly should be able to take positions.

The resolution on peace and Christian unity was referred. I stood and spoke in favor of referring it but with considerable reluctance. I thought the General Board's reasons for referring were dubious. I think it was residual resentment over the resolution against the war in Iraq that DPF sponsored at the last Assembly that led them to refer this resolution which probably would have been supported in years past. I just hope something good comes out of the work DPF and the Council on Christian Unity do together. There are very good people in both groups.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 12, 2009 - 11:57PM #19
Campbellite

I agree. I have known Robert Welsh for years, and know that he is a wise and passionate man. I would trust him to do the right thing here.

You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook