Page 11 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Why Tribalism is separating Human Beings
5 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2009 - 1:07PM #101
Tenlionz

Good to see you to good sister, I am very proud of you and the good works you are doing for NDN People. Im spreading the word, keep it up sis.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2009 - 7:30PM #102
TheWhiteHart

Good to see you again, WE. It's been quiet and slow, it seems.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 7:31AM #103
whispering_elk

So good to see you !

The slow pace has been good for me , as everything else around me is going so fast.

I would enjoy a nice campfire, stars and stories, but will have to wait for that until later this summer. sigh.

I hope all is going in a good way for you

we

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 06, 2009 - 7:17PM #104
W810angel

If instead of African American week in school every year... if  we could have been taught about the Native American cultures, the rest of us (not SmileNDN's) would all be better human beings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2009 - 6:11PM #105
Tenlionz

Education is good but is not as important as those things we learn from our own spirit. You are a good person with a good nature Angel, not because you learned this in a schooll but because your spirit is gentle and merciful, you have a love and genuine empathy for your fellow human beings. no book taught you this, your spirit learned to be this way through many life cycles. The energy that is your spirit speaks these things to you heart every second of every day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2009 - 8:33AM #106
W810angel

aahh... my new found Mentor, I was lost... but now am found.  Hello* TenLionz    You make me SMILE* thank you, you are too kind.  I meant what I said and I have said it many times over many years.  How'd you get to be so wise??

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2009 - 12:46AM #107
Tenlionz

There is no wisdom in me, I only speak those things I have learned from listening to my Elders and the Alikchi. To see the heart of another is EZ. To see the intent of ones own heart is not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 21, 2010 - 3:09PM #108
Jenandew7

May 5, 2009 -- 4:51PM, twolf02 wrote:

First, IMHO tribalism does not separate people.  I think it speaks to community.  How a community is structured and governed.  NDNs had different ways of structuring thier communities.

Now back to the subject at hand.  The NDN people have been misused by the dominant society at the same time, there came a point where that did not have to be true any longer.  On a psychological level it is difficult to break a cycle of dependency and that is what the American Government did with the reservation system was create a culture of dependence.  I am convinced that tribalism will not die if I do not live on the reservation.  It will only die if I forget who I am and stop speaking my language and stop doing ceremony and singing those songs.  If I stop telling the stories that contain the history.  I do not see tribalism as a negative thing.  I do see that if NDNs do not get it together pretty soon and say "hey we're NDN, period"  Then the culture may be in danger.  The time of separation is pretty much over. Instead of being Lakota, Tsetsetsa, Absalaga, Tsalagi, Mvskokv, Chata, etc.  That we are just NDN. Or keep being Lakota, Tsetsetsa, etc but realize that commonality is strengthening and to also see that we are NDN first of all. Maybe that should be the operative.

Just my opinion.  I am who I am, can't change my genetic make up.  But I can change my opinions and outlook and beliefs.  If you are Lakota you are NDN.  If I am Chata I am NDN we have THAT is common.  If we hook up in Los Angeles because that's where we live, with a few others maybe some Dine, or Hopi or Blackfoot. Then we have a tribe a community of NDNs who have something in common.  I know where I am that is how it is.  Sometimes when we have a get together there may be 30 or 40 people there all from different tribes but on that day we are just NDNs.

I'm coming in very late after merely spotting through the thread because I don't have time to linger right now.  I mostly agree with what is written above.  I come from a slightly different perspective, however.  My Great-grandmother was Onondaga, but I'm not on any roles.  I have no sense of my heritage at all.  She apparently married a white man that had no intention of raising his children as anything but white.  So, I am completely severed from any sense of community or recognition of my heredity.  At the same time I live within 20 miles of five (or six) reservations in northern Oklahoma.  I cherish the culture here and I'm glad that things are changing and the NDNs are sharing their culture more with the white communities here.  I'm glad to see pride in their heritage.  What I think is that what you have in knowing your ancestry and knowing the tribe(s) from which you spring, is that you have a precious resource and firm ground to stand on.  You can keep the memory alive, not as a means of separation and difference, but as a thing that enriches us all.  It's a gift.

A.

If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. --Isaiah 58:10
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2010 - 7:20PM #109
Tillie

Tribalism does separate the real Native from the other people because it is suppose to.  God created everyone different and we are not all the same, thank-God!  If we were meant to all look alike and be alike then we are all robots.  Robots are controlled just like puppets, they have strings to move them.  Tribal people and all other people have a mind, heart and their own choices to make, free will so we cannot be all alike.  I believe that God is good to have us make our own choices to be all we can be or not.  What do you think?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2010 - 11:18AM #110
wohali

Tillie, what is a "real Native"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 11 of 12  •  Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook