Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Worshipping the ancestors
9 years ago  ::  Mar 18, 2009 - 12:58PM #1
Mak Tin Si

What do you guys think about worshipping the ancestors? The Ching Ming Festival is coming up on APR 4.2009, did you get ready for that? it is surely a very important tradition for all taoist!

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2009 - 5:09PM #2
whirlinggal

Why should we post on your threads?

You never answer questions and you don't engage in discussions.

On your "Ghosts" thread I asked foryour definition of "ghost" so as to properly address your topic.

But--as usual--no answer.

So why bother?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 21, 2009 - 2:07PM #3
koala972

Mar 20, 2009 -- 5:09PM, whirlinggal wrote:

Why should we post on your threads?

You never answer questions and you don't engage in discussions.

On your "Ghosts" thread I asked foryour definition of "ghost" so as to properly address your topic.

But--as usual--no answer.

So why bother?

man it sure does help to get beat up over every little inability to give what others decide they want...

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 22, 2009 - 3:04AM #4
whirlinggal

How many hreads has this guy started?

(at one point there were 14)

And how many times has he done anything but get angry and insult anyone who replied and asked questions?

People who post here often disagree with each other but at least we talk to each other and sngage.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 23, 2009 - 4:51PM #5
Leonette

I haven't even been on much and I'm kind of sick of seeing the advertisements. When I came back the other day after a long hiatus, I find what looks like a bunch of potentially interesting discussions judging by the titles only to find that they are all teasers telling you if you want to discuss it further, go to this guy's website. I come here to talk here on these boards, not on someone else's boards. No, I don't think hostile reactions are the best answer (from either side), but I am getting sick of these teaser threads that are nothing more than advertisements.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2009 - 12:50AM #6
kilgoretrout2006

Well, we could talk about it. 

Does anyone believe in ghosts? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 24, 2009 - 9:23PM #7
whirlinggal

Kilgore--I'd love to talk about Ancestors with someone who will actually reply.

And yes--talking about ghosts would be interesting too.

If I were answering the question in  the first post for smeone who was going to reply I'd say that in my personal practice and beliefs I don't wait for one special day to honor Ancestors but try to honor them every day in some special way.

What about others?

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2009 - 2:36AM #8
kilgoretrout2006

I believe in honoring your ancestors. For a long time, after my father died I lit a candle every night, even though we weren't very close. Well ... maybe because we weren't very close?  But as far as, you know, worshiping your ancestors?  I'm not sure that makes sense to me. At this point I'm not sure any part of the ego survives death (Which is way disappointing because I so have a healthy ego.) so I sort of feel like honoring those that came before us is more about us and how we relate to the world than it is about them. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 11:33AM #9
whirlinggal

Kilgore-that's a good point about "worshipping" Ancestors.

I'm not sure what the OP meant by that.

I personally prefer "honoring" also. For me it means doing my best to behave in such a way that Ancestors as a group would be proud to call me their descendant.

I suspect that "worshipping" is a misunderstanding of how people actually approach the concept of their Ancestors. Even in the many Indigenous Cultures that give Ancestors special notice there is very little behavior that could be construed as "worship"--

--but a lot that could be considered "honoring" them.

I can give numerous examples but would only do so if asked. I found in my Comparative Culture/Religion studies that many early "scholars" and explorers misunderstood a lot about Indigenous Peoples--mostly because they didn't stick around very long and also because they didn't bother to ask for explanatons.

So any ceremony that honored Ancestors was automatically assumed to be "worshipping" them.

(If anyone is interested--the Yoruba Peoples of Nigeria have many fascinating celebrations and groups whose main goal is honoring their Ancestors.

Google 'Egungun Society' for example)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook