Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Do you believe in The Law of Attraction?
6 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2009 - 3:49PM #1
Denar

Do you believe in The Law of Attraction (otherwise known as conscious creation)--that we can create our own reality with our thoughts? Has it ever worked for you?

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 16, 2009 - 5:31PM #2
appy20

I became militantly opposed to the Law of Attraction when I read about believers of that sentiment claiming that the child kidnapped from her bed, raped and buried alive was thought to have attracted her fate due her thoughts.  It was as if the pedophile was completely incidental to the entire thing.  That sickened me and completely turned me off of the movement.

We are a culture tired of victims and there is a lot of suffering in the world.  That suffering is overwhelming and humans need a way to compartmentalize it all. I think that is how movements like this emerge.  Those who have not suffered greatly can bask in moral superiority that they have "lived right" or "thought right" therefore evading certain hardships of life.  If you live long enough, you will see that some of these believers eventually experience suffering that will change their minds. Most people suffer at some point in their lives.  Some folks get it early and some others get it late.  Some unfortunate souls get it their entire lives.  Most people may have an area or two of inadequacy in their lives.

People also need a sense of control.  The idea that there are aspects of life that they do not have control over terrifies some people and thus they turn to this type of philosophy to give them a false sense of security. As long as they think right, nothing bad will happen to them.  A corrollary to that is anything bad that happens to someone else is not something that can happen  to them.  It is like Linus and his blanket or some poor soul and his rabbit foot except this time the token is thoughts themselves.

Another heartbreaking aspect of this movement, I have seen first hand. I worked a very poor urban library where people who had their electricity turned off and had very little food money would spend what little they had on the The Secret.  To me that was a scam.  It was a book that promised more than it could deliver.  I watched several of the purchasers of that book to see how their lives would change over a two year period.  Their lives did not change at all.  No doubt in the future they would chase another fantasy that would promise to convert their misery to happiness.  The Secret or the The Law of Attraction is the contemporary world's snake oil and the authors are making a lot of money at suffering people's expense.

This is a pseudoscience movement and while I have respect for different faiths I do object to a faith that distorts science to validate itself.  We are a culture that does not like science.  I especially take issue with a faith that exploits the poor, traumatized and unfortunate in life.  

If thoughts could make someone walk, Christopher Reeve would have walked.  A lot of good came from his optimism but the man never walked again.  There are many tragedies that cannot be changed  by thinking.    Yes, they can learn to make their lives worthwhile but thinking will not change the original problem. It can only enable one to cope with it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 4:03PM #3
appy20

Nightbreaker,

I would agree with your post 100%. I tend to believe that (I can't begin to prove this so I won't argue it), that we "choose" lessons as opposed to attract them before we are born.  We choose difficult lessons because we wish to learn something spiritually.  For some odd reason, we do tend to learn our finest lessons when they involve pain.  I don't believe we choose adversity in this life but we choose beforehand and sometimes, maybe, we bite off more than we can chew.  I agree that this life is but a temporary experience.  Bad things are really only for a very short time.

On the very first BNET, I posted that the reason we may choose hardships is because there is a wisdom that can come from severe adversity.  The people I have liked the most in life and find the most insightful are those that life was not a piece of cake. The most tiresome people are those that really haven't experienced much pain.   I think that when we experience something bad and move forward then we become a more interesting companion to God.  That doesn't make the experience any less painful and less worthy of empathy. 

All of this is a working spiritual theory for me and it is by no means applicable to everyone.  I certainly would not want to add pain to someone who has, say, lost a child and wants to rail back at me "I DID NOT CHOOSE THAT."  I respect that.  My understanding of spiritual things is not infallible.   I am just muddling through like everyone else and that philosophy has worked for me.  That doesn't meant that there are other philosophies and purposes for people designed by God.  Who knows, God may have more than one method to deal with us.  Being that he is so fond of diversity in general, I suspect that may be the case.  In a world with over 500+ species of birds, there is the possibility that there are an infinite number of roads to meet God.

Also, there is the possibility someone's adversity is not about them at all but the people around them.  Perhaps it is a task for the world at large and that person had the burden of teaching it.  It is our test in that we are judged on how we respond and the person with the affliction is completely without blame or karma or choice.   I don't know.  Won't argue this one either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 6:30PM #4
appy20

I think it is more complex than character building or achieving perfection.  Sometimes, I think is just about coming to terms with imperfection.  When I was  young, I thought it was all about striving.  Then again, my lesson may not be your lesson.  The worldview that I am supposed to have may be radically different than the worldview you are supposted to have.  What works for you may not suppose to work for me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2009 - 9:58PM #5
Bhakti Dass

I just want to tell you guys how much I appreciate this thread. A couple of years ago I got caught up in a wave of interest in the popular Law of Attraction. I even enrolled in an on-line course, it was so intriguing. Then I saw a photo of a young girl who had been facially disfigured in a genocide incident. The thought came to me that if she had willed this on herself by her thoughts...I do not want anything to do with that movement. So I dropped out of the course, and felt very peaceful about that decision. I was affirmed just now to see appy20's mention of the same sort of thing. Thanks a lot. Bhakti Dass

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 2:07PM #6
Wolfman

From a free thinkers point of view. The re programming of the subconcious mind is doable. I knew a man that grew up very poor. The last thought on his mind before he went to sleep at night was having his own antique car restoration business. He now has it and is doing well. He didn't even know he was applying lessons learned from Unity or from the science of psybernetics. He was applying the principles of attraction and it worked for him. He had as we all do lessons to learn in this theatre called life. Life is a journey and a school and yes I do believe we pick our parents. Owen Rutters book on the Scales of Karma is an excellent reading. As far as attracting everything that happens I believe sometimes we do and other times things do fall out of the sky. To adhere to any philosophy without independent thought is a recipe for disaster. Read the Bible or any other religious book and you will be pressed hard to find a scripture in any of these books that tell you out right to kiss your brain goodbye. Independent thought is important even to those who have a strong controlloing leader. Sometime each individual will be faced with the challenge of making an independent decision that requires an independent thought process. As anyone who has been to A.A. knows, take what you can use and leave the rest. There are some good things that come out of the Secret but like any other book it was written by people and what do people do. Most all of us make errors someway along the path. Realize we all have opinions and respect each other as individuals.

Thanks

Wolfman

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 4:00PM #7
appy20

I doubt an antique restoration business dropped into his lap and operates on its own.  Most likely he had it as a goal and worked toward it.  I do believe in goal setting and attainment.  However, that is a far cry from the sentiment expressed in The Secret.  If wishes were horses, beggars might ride.  We don't always get what we wish for even if we work for them.  Our thoughts are not in control of the universe.  We are a small fleck of protoplasm in a vast universe that is not reigned by us.  I think that The Secret and the law of attraction are appealing to controlling type personalities and desperate people.  The second law of dynamics is not going to respond to our thoughts.  The psychopath next door isn't going to either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 5:41PM #8
Wolfman

Thanks for the reply. Thats well put but the whole idea is that everything starts with a thought. This guy is a small example. No one would have ever believed he would have owned anything. His family was as poor as any I have ever see.. Psalms 82;6 says we are little gods with a creative ability.Not confusing us in the least with the big God but knowing we can create by our thoughts and our words. God said let us make man in our image. Some would say he was speaking only of himself and Christ , maybe so but never forget we have entertained angels unawares. The angels resemble people else we would know who they were. Our words can have creative or destructive power, its up to us to choose.

Wolfman

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2009 - 2:19PM #9
appy20

I was raised by a single mother in the 1960's on a secretary's salary.  In the sixties, that was not much.  We were poor.  I was sick as a child and my third grade teacher stood me up in class for 2 hours berating me for being dumb and not belonging in her advanced class.  Actually, the problem was I was doped up on medications that they would not dream of using today. I was also exhausted from not sleeping due to not being able to breathe at night due to my illness. I was retarded due to all of that.  Otherwise, I have a good IQ.   I don't consider myself a positive thinker.  I am the least positive person in my family.  I am also the most successful.  I managed to put myself through two private universities and gain moderate success in my field.  I did it by myself with virtually no support from anyone else. At one point, I was working 3 jobs simultaneously which added up to 62-75 hours per week. I didn't achieve anything by my thoughts alone.  I did make goals and objectives but then I worked for them.  I never expected them. I worked twice as hard because luck was not on my side.  My success came from knowing that I was not special and the universe wasn't going to do a thing for me.

On the opposite side of the fence. My brother was a big thinker.   He always pictured himself successful.  He sees like as infinite possibilities.  He thought he was going to be a doctor.  It took him 5 years to get 2 years worth of college credit because studying is for other people, people who are not special, people that are lucky and fortunate as he is.  He had thoughts and he believed in them 1000%.    Because of his inability to realistically size up his limitations, he became a major failure in life.  Everyone thought he would be a great success.  He believed 1000% he would be a success.  

I was the exact opposite and used my pessimism to an advantage.  I worked, saved, studied, avoided major mistakes and learned from minor  ones, took calculated and not foolish risks. I didn't trust fate.  It was fate that made me poor to begin with. While my brother was out smiling at the world and having it smile back, partying, I was dour, had my sleeves rolled up and nose to the grindstone.   No, I am not Bill Gates but I do own my own home, good long term friends and am happy.   My brother depends on others to live.  He is divorced twice and no long term friends.   He is over 60 years old and has no retirement, no home, no job and very poor health.  The universe is not going to save him.  Most people who eat junk food all day long don't think it will ever catch up with them.  It won't happen to them.  It happens to other people. If thoughts were that powerful, junk food would increase longevity.

My brother's thoughts are not going to save him.  You have to work with reality to succeed and ignoring it does not do squat for most people.  We are all dealt a hand of cards and we have to decide how to play them.  That means calling a spade a spade not pretending it is something else.  If one style of play does not work, you have to change to another. People who think that life or the universe is going to do it all are destined to fail. The Secret does not teach that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2009 - 9:48PM #10
Wolfman

Its a definite fact that you had a lot to overcome. As Aldous Huxley would say "What doesn't kill you will make you better". Schools have changed a bit and thats good. Years ago paddling was a catch all or humiliation. Thank goodness the days of the dunce hat have gone.

As far as your brother goes I have known many people that fit that description. They don't want to put legs to their faith or ideas. A good work ethic is something I admire and respect and you are to be commended for overcoming the many challenges that were thrown at you. Your view on this subject is understandable after hearing about your beginnings.

We live in a big universe and we are affected by many things whether we want to admit it or not. There are also many unknown that we are challenged to find, learn and understand. Whether you want to admit it or not your thoughts,drive and determination have brought you where you are today. I applaud your success. You had a bull dog grip on your challenges and it seemed by your tenacity that you did win and overcome just as the guy in the secret that had the plane crash.

Keep being the way you are because your tenacity and determination are good examples to those around you.

Best of luck in all your endeavors.

Wolfman

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook