Switch to Forum Live View A Pantheist in Autumn
6 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 8:53AM #1
cheesefeet
I reside in the Northern Hemisphere, and I am experiencing autumn where I live. I find that the seasonal changes mesh with my emotional/spiritual cycles as well.

I find ritual and practice a useful part of my spirituality, it helps me "voice" (though often not merely in words) what is going on inside me, and by making it external, allows me to view it, manipulate it and "play" with it in ways I would find difficult otherwise.

At this time of year I am preparing for a three day holiday of the Days of the Dead. I create art, cook special foods, create decorations and offerings, and write poetry that deals with mortality. I find this a very important season for me. I like to say it "keeps me honest", by keeping me in touch with those who have gone before me, with all their warts and halos, as well as reminding me that my time here is limited. Also, as an artist, it gives me a fascinating creative outlet.

I am firmly in middle age as well, so also in the autumn of my life, wondering if I've worked hard enough, put by enough and stored it properly to get me through winter. Hoping that all the work I've done will be enough to sustain me in the time ahead.

I was just wondering if/how the season affects others.

And if you are Southern hemi...tell us about your sringtime
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 9:33AM #2
TygerTyger
For some reason I feel more attuned to Autumn this year than at any other time that I can remember. I’ve always enjoyed Autumn, like most people I expect it is the changing colour of the trees that lends the season such a vibrant quality. However, this year, I seem to be ‘feeling’ it which is quite a new experience for me.

Perhaps it is because that as a Pantheist I feel like I have made some serious headway recently in understanding (at last) my place in the scheme of things? I have come to terms with many problems that I’ve had and I feel a lot happier in myself, more accepting of the things that I cannot change and more willing to change the things that I can.

I also feel much more aware of the world around me, not just the natural world but also the urban one that I live and spend most of my time in. In fact my world is as big or as small as I want it to be at the moment, as much of the town as the country, sunny or raining; it doesn’t matter. I seem to have broken through some boundaries and now I feel far more connected to existence and its’ chief attribute – change!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 10:31PM #3
KARD9000
I'm very tied to the seasons. I love Autumn in particular, it is so beautiful and I live in the northern hemisphere - 45th parallel to be exact (!) - but it is difficult.  I tend to become extremely introspective during this time. I find I examine everything I've done and hold myself accountable for my actions of the previous year. 

I will be quiet and meditate or read a lot.  Sometimes people don't understand as they think that is not like me...but it is me, when I need it to be.  I also consider my future and have been known to change course during these months as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 27, 2008 - 10:46PM #4
gorm_sionnach
The autumn (I'm also from the NH) has always had a special place for me, it has always been my favourite season. It is not too warm, not too cold, it is a time for sweater, bonfires and apple cider. The colours (I also happen to live in a very forested urban area (Toronto) ) of the changing foliage just strikes a chord within me, warming my spirit. Sure it means that Winter is ahead, but still its that brief respite from the heat of summer, and the frigidity of winter than is to come. I admit I'm a bit biased, I have a birthday in November and Halloween (then Samhain as I became involved in Pagan spirituality) has always been an important event for me.

Autumn is just such a beautiful, liminal period. Forget a never ending summer, I'd take an eternal autumn any day.:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 14, 2008 - 12:52AM #5
Nightwriterx
Autumn is my absolute favorite season! I live in FL where it's not as distinct as NH (for sure), but when the time changes and the days are shorter is when I feel the most in tune with myself and all of nature.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook