Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Question about New Testament teaching
5 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 10:13AM #1
billandted
Hello, I'm a guest on this forum.  I couldn't find a forum at Discussion and Debate for the churches of Christ.  I was kind of surprised, because most CofC people I've met are always up for a debate.  Anyway, since I couldn't find that forum, I'm posting my question here.

Recently I hear a CofC member mention how your churches believe in the Rapture.  Well, it's only mentioned once in the New Testament (to my knowledge), and then not called "rapture."  I always thought it was "speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent."

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2008 - 9:11AM #2
mecdukebec
I am no longer in the churches of Christ, but was raised in that church (which I still love), but am now in our sister fellowship, the Christian Church (Disciples).  I was raised, too, in the churches of Christ hearing the criticism of the "Rapture," and cannot imagine anyone in that church believing in that, or the byzantine, bizarre post and pre-Tribulation doctrines, given the weird way they stitch biblical doctrines together.  Frankly, I've always been impressed with the clear-thinking of the brethren, in this regard.  Of course, just mention H. Leo Boll, and that's a fly in this entire ointment, as it were.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2008 - 1:27PM #3
Campbellite
Adding my 2 cents worth.

I am a fifth generation member of the Stone Campbell movement (pre-dating the three way split in our fellowship). My family bridge the coC /DoC divide. I have never heard anyone in either group who bought into the notion of the Rapture. The first I heard of it was from a college roommate who was a member of the Plymouth Brethren. The founder of HIS group was none other than John Nelson Darby (Google him for details) who was the one who first dreamed up the whole concept (along with the notion of "dispensationalism".)
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 02, 2008 - 1:05PM #4
MarGal
I have NEVER spoke with a member of the church who believed in the rapture???
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2008 - 3:18PM #5
imsavedru
Yep - one of the subjects you wont hear  preached about traditionally in the Churches of Christ.  Neither will you hear about the AntiChrist being a "person" but only being people against Christ.  I wonder..... what do you do with the Thessalonians scriptures and Revelation in dealing with the 1,000 year reign?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 04, 2009 - 4:13PM #6
Clydson
Greetings.

Actually, there are many preachers who speak on the rapture.  What they preach is that there is a difference between what is taught in God's word and the "Rapture Theory". 

The "Rapture Theory" doctrine had its beginnings sometime during the 19th Century.  Evidently the saved who are to be alive physically and then secretly raptured away while the others are left upon the earth was unheard of until around 1830.  It seems that the Holy Spirit withheld this information until a woman by the name of Margaret McDonald was able to prophesy it.

History has shown what men have done with this theory.  It's completely out of control as far as I can see.  It certainly cannot be said that it's promoters "speak as the oracles of God", for they go way too far, 1 Cor 4:6.

Jake
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 05, 2009 - 3:33PM #7
Mistah

Clydson wrote:

Greetings.

Actually, there are many preachers who speak on the rapture. What they preach is that there is a difference between what is taught in God's word and the "Rapture Theory".

The "Rapture Theory" doctrine had its beginnings sometime during the 19th Century. Evidently the saved who are to be alive physically and then secretly raptured away while the others are left upon the earth was unheard of until around 1830. It seems that the Holy Spirit withheld this information until a woman by the name of Margaret McDonald was able to prophesy it.

History has shown what men have done with this theory. It's completely out of control as far as I can see. It certainly cannot be said that it's promoters "speak as the oracles of God", for they go way too far, 1 Cor 4:6.

Jake

[INDENT]To Me this is more proof that its wrong...as members of the church of christ we believe that all scripture is perfect and that prophecy has ceased. The bible teaches that if even an angel came to you with a different message than that which is already written than he shall be condemned....So i defenately dont agree that the Holy Spirit releases secret info at anytime.
[/INDENT]

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 06, 2009 - 4:25PM #8
Campbellite
[QUOTE=Clydson;996285]The "Rapture Theory" doctrine had its beginnings sometime during the 19th Century.  Evidently the saved who are to be alive physically and then secretly raptured away while the others are left upon the earth was unheard of until around 1830.  It seems that the Holy Spirit withheld this information until a woman by the name of Margaret McDonald was able to prophesy it.

Jake[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Ms. McDonald, but I do know that the notion of the rapture and Dispensationalism was the brainchild of John Nelson Darby of Plymouth England. His writings influenced Scofield (of the Scofield Notes fame) whose edition of the Bible, in turn, influenced many modern evangelicals.

Google "John Nelson Darby" for more details than you really want to know
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 07, 2009 - 11:22AM #9
Clydson

Campbellite wrote:

I don't know about Ms. McDonald, but I do know that the notion of the rapture and Dispensationalism was the brainchild of John Nelson Darby of Plymouth England. His writings influenced Scofield (of the Scofield Notes fame) whose edition of the Bible, in turn, influenced many modern evangelicals.

Google "John Nelson Darby" for more details than you really want to know

Darby was a Brethren preacher and author living in England in the 1800s.  He was instrumental, through his writings and preaching, with spreading the Rapture Theory.  Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, who wrote the Scofield Reference Bible, incorporated the theory into his notes.

It is from this source that the Rapture Theory became so widely accepted as truth throughout the religious world.

Jake

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 09, 2009 - 1:04AM #10
Campbellite
[QUOTE=Clydson;1002604]Darby was a Brethren preacher and author living in England in the 1800s.  He was instrumental, through his writings and preaching, with spreading the Rapture Theory.  Cyrus Ingerson Scofield, who wrote the Scofield Reference Bible, incorporated the theory into his notes.

It is from this source that the Rapture Theory became so widely accepted as truth throughout the religious world.

Jake[/QUOTE]

I learned a lot about them from my college roommate, who was a member of the Plymouth Brethren, the same lot that Darby founded.
You are unique.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook