Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 5:29PM #11
mom-6
As one who has been Methodist as well as Baptist, I would say your view of the Baptist position on salvation is slightly skewed (at least from what I see in the Baptist circles I've been in). 

The emphasis is indeed on the concept that salvation cannot be rescinded and that there is a moment in time when a person comes to the realization that they cannot save themselves by their own efforts but must indeed trust in God through Jesus Christ to bring this about. 

However I don't think most Baptists would then follow that up with the notion that OK, I'm saved I can live anyhow I want to now, or that salvation is primarily about heaven vs. hell.  Rather there is a great deal of emphasis on living for Christ in the here and now, sharing Christ with others, deepening ones relationship with God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 6:17PM #12
happygardener
"Rather there is a great deal of emphasis on living for Christ in the here and now, sharing Christ with others, deepening ones relationship with God"

We don't see much of that these days, do we?   Years ago, I knew a couple from Wheaton (Illinois) Bible Church who demonstrated that kind of "friendship" with Christ that seemed utterly sincere and always heart-warming. (I think that church was technically non-denominational, but  probably Baptist theologically.).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 30, 2008 - 6:17PM #13
happygardener
"Rather there is a great deal of emphasis on living for Christ in the here and now, sharing Christ with others, deepening ones relationship with God"

We don't see much of that these days, do we?   Years ago, I knew a couple from Wheaton (Illinois) Bible Church who demonstrated that kind of "friendship" with Christ that seemed utterly sincere and always heart-warming. (I think that church was technically non-denominational, but  probably Baptist theologically.).
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 12:04PM #14
mom-6
HappyGardener...

In response to your "we don't see much of that these days, do we?"  I would have to say that you must be travelling in different circles than I do, because I would say that  it seems to be increasing rather than decreasing.

Something I do find a bit disconcerting is that there seems to be a growing number of Christians who for whatever reason are not finding their fellowship and growth opportunities in the church of whatever or even any denomination, but rather in day to day conversation with people of like mind. 

In some ways I see this as a good thing, but in others it bothers me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 5:35PM #15
revrad
I wouldn't say tht most UMC's do not have altar calls.  I think it is quite regional.

Almost every UMC in the South I have ever attended has an Altar Call EVERY Sunday.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2008 - 9:25AM #16
R'ynda
I've really appreciated the posters here. I think I've gotten one of my questions answered.  I do consider myself a member of the United Methodist Church. I enjoy the church services, and I enjoy the various readings. For this I just want to thank everyone.

Rynda
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook