Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Creating a Holistic Spiritual Community in Your Area
6 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2008 - 2:03PM #1
starchild33
Hello All,

I am interested in creating a Holistic Spiritual Community in my area.  I have recently joined beliefnet and enjoy it a great deal. I would like to see a similar circle within my own community.  There is a lot of  church oriented groups here.  This (my town) is the only place that I know of where people ask you "What church do you belong to?" when they meet you.  I might expect "Do you go to church?" instead.They organize the majority of the family type events.  I can see where they support one another.  It has come to my attention that there are more Holistic types in this small town than I would have expected, but they are very scattered and tend to keep to themselves.  It is generally not OK to be affiliated with a religion or belief system that is not Mormon, Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Baptist, or SDA.  I don't have any issues with these people and  I am friends with many of them.  I don't judge their spiritual path.  I would simply like to create an environment for those that are choosing alternates to spiritual development.   My vision is one where people share, learn, and grow.  Where everyone is free to be as they are without judgement.   I would like to see wise people of all spiritual path come and share their stories and enlightened ideas (monks, sages, gurus, mystics, average joes). I DO NOT want to be a leader, preacher, ect. .  I do however want to facilitate the development of a spiritual community.  Does anyone have any advise on how to approach creating this?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 5:47AM #2
TigersEyeDowsing
If you don't want to be a leader or minister it's going to be hard to make something just fall into place.

Perhaps you could jump on board a Unitarian Universalist church or Unity church, as we often do interfaith activities and conferences (at least in our area).
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2008 - 10:32AM #3
spiritalk
Perhaps test the waters with a series of speaker on various topics.  Arrange to have a space and invite some people along to see where the interests lie?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 9:42AM #4
starchild33
Hello and Thanks for the response Tigerseye and Spiritalk

Since I posted the thread, I have had the opportunity to go to a group meeting that was supposed to be expanding awareness.  While it was not a specifically spiritual meeting the group and some of its apparent issues taught me quit alot.
Mostly, I realized that groups by nature needs leaders.  While they may not need someone to tell them what to think or believe, they do need someone to take the reigns and guide the process.  I think this is really a call for structure and organization.  At the meeting I attend, the people who had arranged the group were very standoff-ish about this, so I kind of got to see my own previous ideas in action.  It was not very productive and had a severe negative overtone to it as people were talking over one another.  Also those they refused to stay on topic so there was a lack of depth. 
This all leads me to more questions
If I keep having this intense feeling that I should start a spiritual group and now I believe that it will require some leadership (possible a group of leaders like a board or something) Does this mean I am supposed to be a leader in some from?  This is very outside my normal realm.

TigersEye
I have looking into those churches online with great interest.  If there was one locally I would attend and at least get first hand experience.  We are a very isolate community the nearest Unitarian Church or walmart or mc donalds is about 150miles away?  Could I entice one of these groups to move here?  Or at least visit?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 10, 2008 - 8:51PM #5
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=starchild33;615492]Hello and Thanks for the response Tigerseye and Spiritalk

Since I posted the thread, I have had the opportunity to go to a group meeting that was supposed to be expanding awareness.  While it was not a specifically spiritual meeting the group and some of its apparent issues taught me quit alot.
Mostly, I realized that groups by nature needs leaders.  While they may not need someone to tell them what to think or believe, they do need someone to take the reigns and guide the process.  I think this is really a call for structure and organization.  At the meeting I attend, the people who had arranged the group were very standoff-ish about this, so I kind of got to see my own previous ideas in action.  It was not very productive and had a severe negative overtone to it as people were talking over one another.  Also those they refused to stay on topic so there was a lack of depth. 
This all leads me to more questions
If I keep having this intense feeling that I should start a spiritual group and now I believe that it will require some leadership (possible a group of leaders like a board or something) Does this mean I am supposed to be a leader in some from?  This is very outside my normal realm.

TigersEye
I have looking into those churches online with great interest.  If there was one locally I would attend and at least get first hand experience.  We are a very isolate community the nearest Unitarian Church or walmart or mc donalds is about 150miles away?  Could I entice one of these groups to move here?  Or at least visit?[/QUOTE]

Starchild, I don't know that you could get a group like such to come out and visit.  If there was enough local interest you might could get a church started, which takes a LOT of work and a LOT of leadership.  I too am in your situation and am considering doing such, maybe in the future.
Churchianity, by substituting creed for Christ and dogma instead of the divine facts of being, has stripped Love of her royal robes and has left her standing an unheeded beggar in the universe of God. - Rev. W. John Murray
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 12:46PM #6
spiritalk
Start with a meditation circle with a group of friends and see how quickly it becomes a centre of spirituality for all comers.  In this way it may give you time and focus to see where you truly fit in the picture.  Yes, it appears leadership is in the works.  But taking it slowly and steadily by the growth of a group will make for a strong foundation.

BTW not all groups need to be incorporated.  Do keep separate financial records so that any moneys received are being used for the enhancement of a group dynamic.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2008 - 5:08AM #7
TigersEyeDowsing
[QUOTE=spiritalk;618039]Start with a meditation circle with a group of friends and see how quickly it becomes a centre of spirituality for all comers.  In this way it may give you time and focus to see where you truly fit in the picture.  Yes, it appears leadership is in the works.  But taking it slowly and steadily by the growth of a group will make for a strong foundation.

BTW not all groups need to be incorporated.  Do keep separate financial records so that any moneys received are being used for the enhancement of a group dynamic.[/QUOTE]

Great tips spiritalk, thanks :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 10:05PM #8
starchild33
Those are good ideas spiritalk.  Meditation groups could be a good way to generate interest without shouldering the task of creating a spiritual venue all at once.  Maybe I could recruite some help then.  Thanks
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2008 - 11:46AM #9
spiritalk
Many a Spiritualism church has begun this way.  A group of people for meditation and discussion is a good start to finding interested people.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 01, 2008 - 7:25PM #10
nelly57
are you in n.j?nelly57
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook