Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Some problems with my UU church/UU in general
10 years ago  ::  May 16, 2008 - 4:40PM #1
Thaklaar1
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;503636]Where DO you live, Thaklaar? I want to move there immediately. :D[/QUOTE]

Southeast side of Houston.  Come on down.  Lovely weather, if you happen to like hot 'n muggy with a side of pollution.  But, Here's my minister's blog if you're curious about what kinda stuff he talks about regularly.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 10:48AM #2
new_earth
I'm having a little problem recently with my UU church (I have been a member for 4 months so far)...I feel they are, as a whole, too humanist/secular. Which is fine, I respect that, but it gets kind of annoying to me...I really need something more spirituality based. I have been looking into New Thought/Religious Science and it is 100% what I believe outside of UU (I do NOT mean Unity New Thought, but more Science of Mind). I also know a few members of my UU church that go there, so I'd at least see some familiar faces. I am thinking of attending the Religious Science church on the Sundays where we have lay-led services once a month. That way I can be part of both churches.

This is off topic, but does anyone else find the UU hymns to be too typical Christian sounding? They do to me...I love the lyrics, but the music and melodies are bland, they all sound the same, and have this stereotypical Christian church song sound to them....(ok, I am one of those people turned off by most things Christian, no hate, just turned off). It doesn't really have anything to do with my religious past, I was not brought up in any religion and we were free to find our own way/path.

This almost reminds me of what sounds like the AUC is trying to be...UU with focus back on God/Spirituality. However, what I like most about Religious Science is that is not focused on the bible or Christianity, and does not refer to God as any gender. I canNOT stand to listen to "Him" or even "Her". Religious Science refers to it as God/The One/The Source/Universal Spirit, which is perfect to me. They are also panentheist (not pantheist!) which I am. I wish I could take UU and New Thought and squish them together :(

PS) There are no other close by UU churches to check out to see if they fit me better, they are all too far away. Besides, a UU church that did focus more on God would probably feel too Christian, so that would be pointless :/
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 11:38AM #3
bob2
Panentheism has a long history in U and U and UU tradition, going back to Emerson and Parker. Panentheism, UU and New Thought can certainly be squished together. Ask around your congregation, perhaps there is enough interest to form a small focus group and meet once a month on weeknights in you congregation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 11:54AM #4
DotNotInOz

new_earth wrote:

I'm having a little problem recently with my UU church (I have been a member for 4 months so far)...I feel they are, as a whole, too humanist/secular.

First, welcome to the UU forum, New Earth. A pleasure to have your concerns--which you'll find are shared by most UU's every now and again--expressed for our consideration.

As I don't know how extensive your knowledge of UUism may be as yet, please forgive me if I seem to be talking down to you. I'm simply trying to cover the bases as much as possible.

To respond to your concern about the "flavor" of your UU church, this is characteristic of a good many UU churches, having a majority of members with an atheist-agnostic-humanist bent. And, some would say unfortunately, oftentimes "majority rules" covers the flavor of services as opposed to a diversity of beliefs being represented that one might wish would be more evident.

...I really need something more spirituality based....I am thinking of attending the Religious Science church on the Sundays where we have lay-led services once a month. That way I can be part of both churches.

Sounds like a solution to me. I've known people who kept up a dual membership in some other church and a UU one.

This is off topic, but does anyone else find the UU hymns to be too typical Christian sounding?

Good reason for that. They ARE largely traditional Christian hymns with words altered or sometimes entirely rewritten to better reflect UU principles as well as to incorporate non-sexist language.

There are no other close by UU churches to check out to see if they fit me better, they are all too far away. Besides, a UU church that did focus more on God would probably feel too Christian, so that would be pointless :/

Have you considered joining the online UU Church of the Larger Fellowship? That way you'd have UU affiliation and contacts without the bothersome music. You get the various benefits of belonging to a UU church short of the direct people contact, including a subscription to the CLF newsletter, one to UU World, discounts at various UU camps and retreat centers, and borrowing privileges from CLF's terrific library (which is FAR better than those of most UU churches...anyway, certainly better than the UU church libraries that I've seen.)

UU Church of the Larger Fellowship

Meanwhile, please hang out here as much as you wish. Good to have another name on the forum.

Dot
UU forum host

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 2:10PM #5
new_earth
I have heard of Church of the Larger Fellowship, but I don't want an online church...I can get that in any new age chat room really, which is more fulfilling than talking to UU's, at least for me.

I would rather be in person physically. I don't know, I will try out the Religious Science church here and see how I like it. If I end up liking it more than UU to the point I want to switch, than I just will. It will just be hard to put my daughter through changing Sunday schools :/

I already am part of a group that meets once a month, called Sanctuary, for UU's who have some kind of belief in God. So far it's pretty good, still not exactly what I'm looking for. It's a little too bland for me and not 'new age-ish' enough I guess. I mean there is no talk of enlightenment, spiritual evolution, etc., which I have read is discussed in New Thought/Religious Science. Also, not that it bothers me TOO much, but I am the youngest person there, there is one person who is maybe int heir 40's and the rest are over 60. It's not a huge deal, but it does make me feel a little bit awkward.

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will just have to try out the RS church and see how I feel.

I appreciate any more feedback anyone has. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 01, 2008 - 2:14PM #6
new_earth
[QUOTE=bob2;470053]Panentheism has a long history in U and U and UU tradition, going back to Emerson and Parker. [/QUOTE]

Yes, and I wish that aspect was more prevalent in the services and hymns :/
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 7:35AM #7
DotNotInOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2
Panentheism has a long history in U and U and UU tradition, going back to Emerson and Parker.

Yes, and I wish that aspect was more prevalent in the services and hymns :/

Unfortunately, such wishes can usually only be brought to reality by volunteering for your church's worship committee and endeavoring to change how services are conducted.

Even then, you may face not only open resistance to that particular change but outright hostility.

This is an aspect of UU churches that I've never quite understood--and which led in part to my starting the thread, "What UU's ain't got...."

Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 11:05AM #8
new_earth
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;472049]Unfortunately, such wishes can usually only be brought to reality by volunteering for your church's worship committee and endeavoring to change how services are conducted.

Even then, you may face not only open resistance to that particular change but outright hostility.

This is an aspect of UU churches that I've never quite understood--and which led in part to my starting the thread, "What UU's ain't got...."[/QUOTE]

Ironically, I have already joined the Worship Committee. I haven't been involved yet, I just volunteered for it a few weeks ago. But they only really schedule the lay led services, the minister usually plans his own services. The main person who runs that committee actually has very similar spiritual beliefs to my own, so either she hasn't bothered to try and change things, or she has already and has never been successful. She's been there for many years. Even if it did change, I still don't think it would be as satisfying as the SOM church sounds. I will have to see for myself in the next few weeks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 11:22AM #9
DotNotInOz
Shows what my mindset is! I was thinking more in terms of my own church, which currently has two or more lay-led services monthly. Our interim minister does the others usually, although recently there was a month-long gap in his being in the pulpit, for what reason, I don't know.

Agreed, New Earth, that there's likely little effect that that church's worship committee can have attempting to bring more panentheism into services (if they even can at all without direct opposition from various congregants) when the committee is only responsible for one service per month.

Sounds as though your seeking other liberal but more spiritually-oriented churches is likely your best option.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  May 02, 2008 - 11:05AM #10
new_earth
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;472049]Unfortunately, such wishes can usually only be brought to reality by volunteering for your church's worship committee and endeavoring to change how services are conducted.

This is an aspect of UU churches that I've never quite understood--and which led in part to my starting the thread, "What UU's ain't got...."[/QUOTE]

Ironically, I have already joined the Worship Committee. I haven't been involved yet, I just volunteered for it a few weeks ago. But they only really schedule the lay led services, the minister usually plans his own services. The main person who runs that committee actually has very similar spiritual beliefs to my own, so either she hasn't bothered to try and change things, or she has already and has never been successful. She's been there for many years. Even if it did change, I still don't think it would be as satisfying as the SOM church sounds. I will have to see for myself in the next few weeks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook