Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
6 years ago  ::  May 13, 2008 - 6:38PM #1
ManzanitaBear
Lately, I've found myself drawn to wearing skirts.  Long ones in particular.  I was lucky to find a couple of good long skirts at a thrift store--I HATE most of the skirts that seem to be available in department stores these days--they tend to be made from such flimsy materials, and the most readily available cuts don't fit my figure.

This is rather remarkable, because all my life until now, I've preferred pants.  Nothing against wearing a skirt now and then, but pants gave me more freedom (and I mean that literally--easier to, say, hike or do physical work or ride a bike).  Now, I'm suddenly feeling the opposite way.  I still wear pants at least half the time because I do plenty of things that require it--but when I'm wearing pants, I often feel like I should be wearing a skirt, and I usually change as soon as I can.

I'm certain this is part of my spiritual journey, but it is interesting that my spirituality is emerging in this way!  Making myself more feminine, perhaps?  Calling on feminine energy?  I never thought of wearing pants as particularly unfeminine, and you still won't catch me in makeup or high heels!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 4:09PM #2
sharon_bivens
Ummm!  Perhaps the make up and heels will come next!  :) 

I think you are definitely getting into a different, softer feminine side and there is nothing wrong with that!

Enjoy!  Experimenting with your clothing...is like mood swings in your personality!

Peace,

Sharon
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 21, 2008 - 2:14AM #3
shyanmyluv
Omg! same here, as a child growing up i've always had something against skirts because it was an easy way for boys.......anywho, im now 25 and recently i've been feeling anxious to wear skirts, dresses, heels but no make-up no interests in that.  I haven't bought any yet but i've been feeling like that recently to just make a change...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 23, 2008 - 4:07PM #4
ManzanitaBear
[QUOTE=sharon_bivens;512611]Ummm!  Perhaps the make up and heels will come next!  :)  [/QUOTE]
I doubt it.  I have absolutely no desire for either.  Especially not for wrecking my feet with high heels!

This really feels spiritual, not just like a new liking.  Does it feel that way for either of you?

I don't think my feminine side is necessarily softer.  In meditation and otherwise, I find myself drawn to (meeting?) very stern, forbidding goddesses and other female figures..  Ereshkigal.  Bear Mother (I've written about her; she's very fierce).  Arachne, who held even the gods accountable.  Persephone as Queen of the Underworld, not the vulnerable maiden.

I found myself thinking recently of a conversation I once had with a Navajo woman who was raised very traditionally.  She said something about how in the old days the people lived a balanced life, but they don't anymore.  I asked her what she meant by that.  She said one thing was gender--traditionally, women wore skirts, and now they often don't.  Only not quite in those words, but I do remember her saying,  "Women used to wear skirts."

I was puzzled about that.  To me, the most balanced people have always been the most androgynous ones.  Men who are extremely masculine and women who are extremely feminine (also, it seems to me, the women most likely to wear makeup, heels, and yes, skirts--what a close friend of mine calls pancake faced Republicans; no offense to anyone reading this who happens to be Republican, conservative, and/or like makeup!) are less healthy and balanced.  But I thought that we must surely both be right; I just couldn't put my finger on how.  Now it's starting to make sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 7:58AM #5
Sybilla1029
Manzanita- I sounds like your are taking a new twist in your path, which is always exciting.  For me, I find great peace and comfort in being a woman and all the options that allows us.  We are fortunate enough to live in a time when a woman can wear what she pleases and not be persecuted for it.  Men, after so much time, still don't have that luxury in our culture, unless your at a highland festival wearing a kilt!  Ahhh, Braveheart...but I digress!  For me, balancing your feminie/masculine aspects is more about the internal than external.  Androgeny, for me, represents more of a state of imbalance and a difficulty being comfortable in your skin.  As for made up women in skirts and heels (regardless of their beliefs) some women just like to express their inner selves in that way.  Each women is an artist, painting her own canvas; the choice of media/medium is up to her.
Also, if your calling is such, have you looked into any possible past life "stuff"?  Many times over for me, that has explained new explorations that just appear out of nowhere.  Just a thought...Blessings!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 12:02PM #6
bdaddysprincess@aol.com
"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." Deuteronomy 22:5

How do you feel about dressing Modest?
For those of you that want to dress modest and don't know where to find modesty dresses, or coverings, I have a place for you to check out, where there is modesty cape dresses, gently worn, handmade by the Amish and Mennonite Women from Lancaster, Pa. By the way these groups of women still only wear dresses to this day.
Although there is no where stated in the Bible that women can't wear slacks and have to wear dresses. This is all in a matter of choice and how you feel about the issue of being modest.
If you don't know what a cape dress is, I will tell you. A "Cape Dress" conceals the figure better than a regular dress and is the most modest dress to be found. The cape is sewn at the neck and waist only covering the front and back bodice.From the back of the cape hides all straps and body lines.
They are pleasing and are comfortable to wear. If you would like to check some out here is the link:]http://stores.ebay.com/AMISH-MENNONITE-DRESS Just copy and paste to your broswer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 12:35PM #7
Sacrificialgoddess

bdaddysprincess@aol.com wrote:

"The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God." Deuteronomy 22:5

How do you feel about dressing Modest?
For those of you that want to dress modest and don't know where to find modesty dresses, or coverings, I have a place for you to check out, where there is modesty cape dresses, gently worn, handmade by the Amish and Mennonite Women from Lancaster, Pa. By the way these groups of women still only wear dresses to this day.
Although there is no where stated in the Bible that women can't wear slacks and have to wear dresses. This is all in a matter of choice and how you feel about the issue of being modest.
If you don't know what a cape dress is, I will tell you. A "Cape Dress" conceals the figure better than a regular dress and is the most modest dress to be found. The cape is sewn at the neck and waist only covering the front and back bodice.From the back of the cape hides all straps and body lines.
They are pleasing and are comfortable to wear. If you would like to check some out here is the link:]http://stores.ebay.com/AMISH-MENNONITE-DRESS Just copy and paste to your broswer.

I think you were first have to clarify what you mean by modest versus what you mean by modest.  It is all very much in the eye of the beholder.  I ride a bike to work most days of the week and therefore tend toward pants as work clothes.  I occasionally, however, take a dress or a skirt in my backpack to change into at work.  I tend to think I dress perfectly modestly, but you might think my skirt is too high or that I show too much cleavage.  And that is even before you take into account cultural differences. 
A middle eastern person might consider me immodest because I don't cover my head.  As I said, modesty is a very personal issue.

Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 1:43PM #8
Sybilla1029
SG-excellent point!  Culture and personal comfort level define a great deal.  "Modest" is a very subjective term.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 4:36PM #9
ManzanitaBear
[QUOTE=Sybilla1029;522770]Manzanita- I sounds like your are taking a new twist in your path, which is always exciting.  For me, I find great peace and comfort in being a woman and all the options that allows us.  We are fortunate enough to live in a time when a woman can wear what she pleases and not be persecuted for it.  Men, after so much time, still don't have that luxury in our culture, unless your at a highland festival wearing a kilt![/quote]
Actually, you're bringing to mind another's journey, which I've been thinking a lot about as I write this.  One of my closest friends (male) came out of the closet as bisexual not too long ago, and with cross dressing tendencies.  He now wears dresses a lot.  And he may end up living as she.  He says for now he can still go back, but there will probably come a time when he (she) can't and doesn't want to.  Fascinating.  Until now, I've never known anyone I could talk to like that who'd gone through any of that.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 25, 2008 - 4:38PM #10
ManzanitaBear
And I just checked bdaddysprincess's posts... almost all of them are identical, and they're scattered throughout beliefnet.  Must be spam.

How do you report spam on here?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook