Switch to Forum Live View Muhammad and the Letter M on a tabby cat
6 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2008 - 3:12PM #1
Agnosticspirit
OK, I remember hearing this story years ago when I was a mere wisp of a girl.... Really liked it and it kinda stuck with me....

We grew up with cats, dogs and fish. Now that I'm older, still surrounded by cats, dogs and fish. Even have a little aquatic frog in the fish tank too! I've always been fond of tabby cats.... their stripes remind me of little tigers.  I have a 19 year old lady tabby kitty, she's orange and fluffy and kind of grouchy but part of the family. :)

Someone once told me that all tabby cats have the letter M on their foreheads because Muhammad stroked the top of a kitty's head and left his mark. Ever since, all tabby cats have the letter M on their forehead. Can anyone tell me how this legend started, whether it's still taught? I always thought it was a really cute story, regardless of where it began or by whom....
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 12:31PM #2
IDBC
Howdy Agnostic

agnosticspirit wrote:

OK, I remember hearing this story years ago when I was a mere wisp of a girl.... Really liked it and it kinda stuck with me....

We grew up with cats, dogs and fish. Now that I'm older, still surrounded by cats, dogs and fish. Even have a little aquatic frog in the fish tank too! I've always been fond of tabby cats.... their stripes remind me of little tigers. I have a 19 year old lady tabby kitty, she's orange and fluffy and kind of grouchy but part of the family. :)

Someone once told me that all tabby cats have the letter M on their foreheads because Muhammad stroked the top of a kitty's head and left his mark. Ever since, all tabby cats have the letter M on their forehead. Can anyone tell me how this legend started, whether it's still taught? I always thought it was a really cute story, regardless of where it began or by whom....

I  never heard of that particular myth.  It would seem to me that if Muhammad were to live  "his mark"  he would it be left in Arabic and not English. 

However being the curious kaffir I am I asked the almost omniscient cyber Goddess  aka  the Internet.   She revealed  to me:

"
How did tabbies get their 'M'? A legend from the Islamic world recounts that Mohammed had a tabby called Muezza who once saved his masters life by slaying a snake that had crawled up Mohammed's sleeve. Later, when it was time to attend prayers the cat had fallen asleep upon the sleeve, so to avoid disturbing Muezza, Mohammed cut the sleeve from his garment. From that day on all tabby cats were born with the 'M' marking on their forehead to remind all that see them that Mohammed loved cats, and that cats should always be respected."

Being the Kafur I am the question comes to mind, why the letter "M" was left and not its  Arabic equivelent.   

Of course this proves that the legend  is false.  The true legend about how the Tabby got the M is:

"
The most popular of these legends tells us that when the baby Jesus was lying in the manger he started to shiver with the cold. Mary covered the baby with blankets but still he kept shivering. Mary then ask all the animals to move closer to the manger so that their body heat would warm Jesus.
The animals stood as close to the manger as they could but the baby Jesus remained cold and shivering. After a time a small cat with tabby markings jumped into the manger and snuggled next to Jesus. Before long the baby had stopped shivering and was sound asleep, contented and warm.
In her gratitude to the tabby Mary made the mark of her own initial, upon the cat's forehead so that tabby cats will forever remind the world of how they saved Jesus from the cold."

For further details on Tabby Cats:

http://www.best-cat-art.com/tabby-cats.html

P.S.   I would like to commend all those one the Beliefnet Staff responsible for the latest update.   It looks much better.   I also noticed that I could cut and paste the image of the Tabby Cat.  Well Done Staff!

HAVE A THINKING DAY MAY REASON GUIDE YOU
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 12:18PM #3
Puurrzz
Yep, IDBC

You're just getting too cool for words!  Posting a picture of a kitty....skills dude!

Hiya~!  WC

I read that Abu Haria was the father of kittens, and his kitty did save Muhammad from a snake that was in his shoe....plus a bird helped, ...but it was because of his kitty cat, that cats now, always land on their feet.  Don would get a giggle out of that, yes?
Holla Misty!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 24, 2008 - 1:04PM #4
Agnosticspirit
I thought it was a cute story, the "softer" and less severe side of Muhammad - didn't know there was also a Christian equivalent IDBC, thank you! Should have known there would be. Good point about why the Arabic or Hebrew equivalent of the letter M wasn't used.... :D

IDBC, you may be the first person who likes the new changes since the re-design. I understand a few glitches were worked out, but not being able to tell when a thread is new.... grrr... it's already been reported and hopefully will be addressed soon. :)

Wow Purrzz, I didn't know that's why cats always land on their feet - got the notification that Don's birthday is coming up soon. Yes, he would have appreciated this story.... :)
Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 1:42AM #5
ItsAllALie
The Muslim story actually makes more sense, sheesh,,,,,,

Any decent mother would know if her child was cold to pick him up and snuggle him herself,,,,,

sheesh,,,,,,she left it to a cat,,,,,eyeroll,,,,,Holly
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 12, 2008 - 10:38AM #6
Agnosticspirit
Hi Holly, is there any Jewish legend about the letter M on a tabby cat by any chance? :) And yeah.... if your baby is cold wouldn't any mother pick him up and snuggle him to her bosom to keep him warm herself? Good point! :D

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook