Switch to Forum Live View I have two questions...
7 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2008 - 9:35PM #1
Dogmafreehappily
I have two very big problems.

I'm kind of in a hurry so I'll make this short and quick:

1. There are no Scientology churches where I live. The closest one is in Charleston, atleast 3 hours away. My parents don't believe in Scientology and wouldn't approve of me being a Scientologist. The only way they've let me buy the three books on Scientology I have (Dianetics, Scientology: A New Slant on Life, and Clear mind, Clear body) is because I told them I was just interested in the subject, and I wasn't actually a Scientologist. But there's probably no way to make them see different. I think if I tried to tell them it would just cause conflict and end up in an argument.

2. I have a hard time reading and understanding the books. I know it says define every word you come across you don't fully understand, but I find myself having to open the dictionary every 2 seconds, and forgetting what I just read even more. It's really frustrating.

My questions:

How can I be a Scientologist and do the "purification rundown" and such without going to a church? Is it possible to be a Scientologist and do that?

How can I understand the literature better without having to search through a dictionary every minute?

Thanks!

I posted this in freezone as well btw.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 09, 2008 - 2:33PM #2
TheTruth4Justice
Ok normally i wouldn't do this but here it goes....I think there are dvd's and audio tapes that one can purchase and listen to but as far as that when it comes to being audited you need to be at the church to do so. Also why not just be honest with your folks and tell them that is what you believe. If this is something you strongly believe in then that is your right and ask them why they do not like scientology and to prove it to you period.  I hope this helps you out.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 11, 2008 - 10:40PM #3
Gandalf_Parker
If you are underage I believe that a Church of Scientology will refuse you (unlike many other religions who will gladly allow kids to join without their parents consent)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 05, 2008 - 2:29AM #4
ProfessorGoatPellets
If you have difficulty understanding the basic books then how can you be sure that you want to be a Scientologist?

Surely it's better to get a good understanding before making a decision like that ...

Goat
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 10, 2008 - 1:43PM #5
helefra
[QUOTE=Dogmafreehappily;411233]I have two very big problems.

I'm kind of in a hurry so I'll make this short and quick:

1. There are no Scientology churches where I live. The closest one is in Charleston, atleast 3 hours away. My parents don't believe in Scientology and wouldn't approve of me being a Scientologist. The only way they've let me buy the three books on Scientology I have (Dianetics, Scientology: A New Slant on Life, and Clear mind, Clear body) is because I told them I was just interested in the subject, and I wasn't actually a Scientologist. But there's probably no way to make them see different. I think if I tried to tell them it would just cause conflict and end up in an argument.

2. I have a hard time reading and understanding the books. I know it says define every word you come across you don't fully understand, but I find myself having to open the dictionary every 2 seconds, and forgetting what I just read even more. It's really frustrating.

My questions:

How can I be a Scientologist and do the "purification rundown" and such without going to a church? Is it possible to be a Scientologist and do that?

How can I understand the literature better without having to search through a dictionary every minute?

Thanks!

I posted this in freezone as well btw.[/QUOTE]

Hi Dogma - I've been involved in Scientology for over 10 years now and I can see your predicament.  As someone posted here, you need to come clean with your parents that you want to be a Scientologist and that this is what you believe in.  If you have any difficulties about this, try ringing a Scientology church and speak to the Ethics Officer or make an appointment to speak to the Ethics Officer.  This person is fully trained to help bring an understanding between yourself and your parents, it may be that your parents have misunderstandings on Scientology or have black PR, either way, it would be best if you spoke to the Ethics Officer.

Secondly, to get any auditing you do have to attend the church, including doing the Purification Rundown.  However, perhaps something can be arranged with the church, if you tell them your predicament (i.e. too far), and I believe but don't know, that somebody could set this up for you and may be someone could be with you to do the purif or auditing (i.e. a professional auditor).

Finally, if you are below the age of 18 years old, then it will need your parents' consent and as they are against Scientology then it will be quite difficult for you to do this.

However, the first and most important thing is to handle your parents, you can even request that an Ethics Officer comes around to be in attendance with you.  Until your parents are handled, it will prevent you from moving forward in Scientology and getting the many gains that are there for you.

I hope this has helped you.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2009 - 7:19PM #6
John.beliefnet.com

If you are having trouble reading one of the books because of the vocabulary the right thing to do is get a simpler book. The simplest book and the biggest is the Scientology Handbook. It also covers a wide range of subjects. It is written in a much simpler format and is probably available in your local library.

You can also get the book Self Analysis and audit yourself with that. That is what it is for!

As far as your parents go first understand that there concern for you is natural and well intended. You would need to find out what their concern was before you could address it. Avoid any advice that suggest your parents are bad or trying to harm you, that would not be the true application of Scientology. Create understanding through the use of communication. That is the only answer. 

It is true that if you are not over 18 you must have your parnets permssion to attend Scientology Course or paid services.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2009 - 1:40PM #7
Wildeprods

DogmaFree,

You do not have to be a Scientologist to use Scientology services.  Scientology is interdenominational, and I know Jews, Spritualists, Muslems, Catholics, Christians, and Buddhists that are scientologists and others that just do Scientology services.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 15, 2009 - 12:10AM #8
Freethinkingwoman

Apr 5, 2008 -- 9:35PM, Dogmafreehappily wrote:

I have two very big problems.  I'm kind of in a hurry so I'll make this short and quick:  1. There are no Scientology churches where I live. The closest one is in Charleston, atleast 3 hours away. My parents don't believe in Scientology and wouldn't approve of me being a Scientologist. The only way they've let me buy the three books on Scientology I have (Dianetics, Scientology: A New Slant on Life, and Clear mind, Clear body) is because I told them I was just interested in the subject, and I wasn't actually a Scientologist. But there's probably no way to make them see different. I think if I tried to tell them it would just cause conflict and end up in an argument.  2. I have a hard time reading and understanding the books. I know it says define every word you come across you don't fully understand, but I find myself having to open the dictionary every 2 seconds, and forgetting what I just read even more. It's really frustrating.  My questions:  How can I be a Scientologist and do the "purification rundown" and such without going to a church? Is it possible to be a Scientologist and do that?  How can I understand the literature better without having to search through a dictionary every minute?    Thanks!  I posted this in freezone as well btw.

Hi Dogmafreehappily,

1) If you check with your nearest Scientology org, and/or respond online at Scientology.org, and ask, you can probably tap into a Volunteer Minister program where they locate a Scientologist close to you that can help you. There are tons of volunteers that have registered themselves to be available to give free services. They're referred to as "Volunteer Ministers". Otherwise, they can link you to someone like you that is willing to partner up and figure it out together. 

2) Whatever you do, I recommend you get a simple dictionary on top of a regular dictionary. This helped me immensely. Don't be afraid or too proud to use a student or children's dictionary. I use Websters or Thorndike. This is useful to college graduates and professionals alike so as not to run into new misunderstood words and waste unnecessary time. Opening the dictionary every 2 seconds is not so abnormal for beginners but if you clear the words well you'll find you have to open it less often and your vocabulary and study rate will improve. 

3) To do the "Purif" without an org, your book, "Clear Body Clear Mind" can be done with a partner. As someone else recommended in this forum, you can use the "Self-Analysis" book on yourself as well or with a partner, and Dianetics auditing can be done with a partner using the DVD and/or the book. There are lots of free services available where you can experience great personal gains. 

Regarding your parents, I think the truth of your interest in the subject is quite acceptable. I mean, it doesn't sound like you know what Scientology really is yet. You can even share what you've learned with them as you read it and see what they think. I wouldn't explain it to them, but show them. Involve them in the discovery and show that you respect their opinion. 

That's my 2 cents worth. You can get in touch with me if you want. Good Luck!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 15, 2009 - 12:17AM #9
Freethinkingwoman

I want to mention one other important thing: above all, do your best to observe things yourself (without relying on assumptions or opinions of others) and trust your own judgment.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook