Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Translations of the Tao Te Ching
9 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 2:07AM #1
publicspeakingnerd
Hi!

I am a newbie to Taoism. My interest started  with "The Tao of Pooh" and hasn't let up since.

I finally decided to read the Tao Te Ching  When i went into the bookstore I found myself dumbfounded at the many selections. Being frugal, I got the cheaper of the bunch. It was a Barnes and Noble classic with an introduction by Yi-Ping Ong.

So far i find his footnotes and introduction helpful, even if I am still a little confused (which is how it's supposed to be, right, lol).

My question is, with all the translations out there of the Tao Te Ching, is there one that's better than the other, or worse? What are your thoughts on it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2009 - 2:55PM #2
EyesoftheWorld
I haven't read more than like 5 different translations, so this is admittedly a not-too-informed post, but I recommend Stephen Mitchell's translation to anyone who asks, and to some who don't. If there's a 'better' translation than his out there, then I'm very happy, b/c it's something for me to look forward to.
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 7:26PM #3
Eisenhans

Jan 19, 2009 -- 2:07AM, publicspeakingnerd wrote:

Hi!  I am a newbie to Taoism. My interest started  with "The Tao of Pooh" and hasn't let up since.   I finally decided to read the Tao Te Ching  When i went into the bookstore I found myself dumbfounded at the many selections. Being frugal, I got the cheaper of the bunch. It was a Barnes and Noble classic with an introduction by Yi-Ping Ong.  So far i find his footnotes and introduction helpful, even if I am still a little confused (which is how it's supposed to be, right, lol).   My question is, with all the translations out there of the Tao Te Ching, is there one that's better than the other, or worse? What are your thoughts on it?

The ones in English are horribly mistranslated... so much so that they bear no resemblance to Taoism.  The Chinese of Lao Tzu's time was quite ancient, and it is not like modern or even Han-era Chinese. 

Here is a free translation, with commentary, by a Taoist Celestial Master (Tin Si): TTC

(Read chapters in order, though, if you choose to study this translation.)

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 12:57AM #4
RevDorris

home.pages.at/onkellotus/TTK/_IndexTTK.p...

The above link is to an index that has translations of the Toa Te Ching in many languages including over 100 translations in English.

This is a good resource for any serious student to use.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 6:03AM #5
Mak_jo_si

what another example of misleading translation on the above link... again, it's nothing different form the WRONGLY TRANSLATED ones.. good example!

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 7:38PM #6
RevDorris

www.sacred-texts.com/tao/index.htm

This is a link to Taoist sacred texts.  This link was previously posted on another thread by another poster.  The site has texts in the public domain from all the major world religions.

With love,

Rev Dorris
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2011 - 12:54AM #7
Mak_jo_si

Yet the Tao Te Ching was most commonly mis-translated in the east and west, it doesn't mean it is wrong originally.  It is just wrong now because all the translations are going crooked and wrong. The way it should be is how a book should be.  A book doesn't start off sharply without a head and tail, where are those ingredients in the translations?  That's why it's crazy and off.  People expect a book to start off with first page getting into the meat, that's really non-sense.  You don't even see these happen nowadays.  For the real translation that make sense, enjoy "Tao Te Ching Truth Reveal", be sure will pop your eyes out of your sockets and roll down the keyboard!

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook