Page 1 of 25  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What do Jewish people know about Christianity that many Christians dont know?
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 8:37PM #1
Godgirl
This is kind of an intresting question but i wanted to ask...What do Jewish people know about Christianity that many Christians dont know? What do many Jewish people know about Christ that many Christains don`t know? What do many Jewish people know about how the messiah is supost to be like that many Christians don`t know?
I am not trying to offend any Christians by asking this because i have a Christian background but it seems to me that Jewish people have alot of knowlege about this subject that perhaps i dont have.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 9:58PM #2
ffb
I could list things that I know but who am I to say that a Christian doesn't know those things?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 10:15PM #3
Bunsinspace
[QUOTE=Godgirl;1021919]This is kind of an intresting question but i wanted to ask...What do Jewish people know about Christianity that many Christians dont know? What do many Jewish people know about Christ that many Christains don`t know? What do many Jewish people know about how the messiah is supost to be like that many Christians don`t know?
I am not trying to offend any Christians by asking this because i have a Christian background but it seems to me that Jewish people have alot of knowlege about this subject that perhaps i dont have.[/QUOTE]

BS"D

I don't know what all Jews know.  All I know is what is published in the Creeds of Christendon and the works of the Church fathers, the various Greek translations of the Christian holy texts, the history of the persecution of Jews and inidigenous peoples throughout the world by Christianity, the various modern offshoot denominations and sects and the reason for their existence, the writings of some great Christian philosophers and Theologians from the 2nd century CE onward (I can only speculate on what Paul REALLY authored and I have VERY DIFFERENT ideas about what he intended than most Christians I have ever met), and some personal experience associated for a time with various cult groups.  Not only that but I have a formal Jewish education so I know where virtually every ancient and contemporary Christian theological notion and textual allusion originates from in the non-Jewish world.  And I've got to tell you I am singularly unimpressed.

But then again - to be fair -  I am likewise unimpressed by the more mystical and less practical among my own coreligionists.

I guess the most IMPORTANT thing I know about Christianity that you may not is that what a Christian actually does means far more than what a Christian believes and says about Jesus.  Many Christians seem to live as though Christ is everything and whatever the Hell they do is relatively inconsequential.  To me, that is exactly backwards because what a Christian actually does, whether good or evil, actually IS Jesus in the flesh so to speak.  And that track record of "doing" is abysmal at best IMHO except in isolated individual instances common to all mankind.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 10:34PM #4
nieciedo
This doesn't question doesn't make any sense.

To the extent one can "know" anything about religion at all, maybe one thing Jews know about Christianity that Christians don't is that Christianity isn't true? That Jesus was neither God nor the Messiah?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 15, 2009 - 11:52PM #5
LeahOne
At the risk of being pompous/making a fool of myself - I think what GG is trying to ask is actually about Judaism and not Christianity.  I'm guessing this based on another thread she'd started...

Anyhoo - I'm going to guess she may be interested in how we understand the Hebrew Bible, which is after all where we draw our idea of what MbD(Moschiach ben Dovid) is supposed to be like.  ???   She may not realize that we don't see a 'Fall', and don't believe in Hell, or that there's any need for an intermediary to reconcile sinful humans to GOD.....or that 'substitutionary sacrifice' would be worthless to us.

I apologize for this 'seagull posting', but I've had a really long day and I think it'd be better for me to make a reply of some substance after getting some sleep...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 1:01AM #6
nieciedo
Well, in that case, I think one major point is that Christianity is primarily concerned with the fate of the individual soul: what happens to us after death. Therefore, they read the Hebrew Scriptures in that light. They see the "Fall" as the origin of sin and death. They believe that God revealed the Torah to show us His standard of righteousness and how we can't ever live up to it. They believe that all of the prophecies about an anointed king in the future who would deliver the Jewish people from their enemies as symbolic of Jesus coming to free us from sin and death because we cannot save ourselves.

Judaism...doesn't.

Judaism's primary concern is the community. The Torah are laws that humans are perfectly capable of living by in order to create a just and righteous society and the Messianic prophecies are about the political and social deliverance of the Jewish people (and through us the whole human family) from war and poverty and other evils that bring the death of civilizations. The Hebrew Bible really doesn't have much to say about the individual afterlife for individual people at all.

That should get the ball rolling.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 3:45PM #7
Godgirl
So is Judism an exclusive religion or inclusive? Do they believe in evolution or ID? Do they believe in abortion or pro-life? Just curious.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 3:58PM #8
ffb
basically, and not facetiously,
"yes"
judaism is not possessed of a singular monolithic set of beliefs. its adherents have beliefs whic run the gamut, most if not all of which are substantiated through interpretations and understandings of the religious authority (or through substantiated understandings that certsain topics are outside the realm of that religious authority)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 9:59PM #9
nieciedo
Ffb's right.

"Exclusive" and "inclusive" depends on what you mean by those words. We might seem "exclusive" to the extent that we don't active seek converts and don't preach or proselytize. Among other reasons, that's because we do not believe becoming Jewish is necessary for living a righteous life and we don't think it makes any sense for non-Jews to take on the extra responsibilities and obligations of Jewish observance unless they really, really, really want to. Judaism is the religion of the Jewish people, so it is to that extent a private and exclusive thing. However, anyone is welcome to join us in worship and sincere converts are welcome.

The debate regarding evolution and intelligent design and creationism is essentially irrelevant to Judaism. Such issues of theology and philosophy are secondary to the more practical issues of ethics and the practical details of living a Jewish life. Most Jews have no issue whatsoever with evolution and accept it as fact. Many would fall under the "intelligent design" or "theistic evolution" category. Even among more traditionally minded who believe that the Torah is a true historical account, there is nothing comparable to the literal-minded creationism one finds in Protestant Christianity. What you think about evolution is essentially irrelevant to how you live your life, so it's not really important from a Jewish perspective. What is important to us is religious liberty and the separation of church and state, so you will not find many Jews advocating for the teaching of the Bible in science class. The very religious Jews, who would be the most inclined to hold opinions approaching creationism, don't generally send their children to public schools in the first place.

Abortion is a practical issue, and so Judaism has an opinion. Traditional Judaism does not fall squarely in either the pro-life or pro-choice category. Abortion is prohibited, unless the life or health of the mother is in danger in which case it is mandatory. The degree of leeway that exists in determining what constitutes a threat to the mother's life and health varies by community. So, Jews will not generally support an outright ban on abortion. Most Jews tend to be "pro-choice" in order to preserve the legal option for abortion if needed. There are Jews who identify as "pro-life," however, but will usually be found among those who advocate exceptions for the life the life of the mother.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 12:04AM #10
Godgirl
Well then Ben Stein is Jewish and came out with the movie Expelled but now i realize his views arnt inline with alot of other Jewish people. I remember you telling me a while ago that Judism is not so much about belief as it is about community.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 25  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 25 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook