Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

10 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2008 - 12:05AM #1
KEM1981
Is the elephant headed deity Ganesha used in Taoism?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 2:50PM #2
Lostsocks
[QUOTE=KEM1981;333471]Is the elephant headed deity Ganesha used in Taoism?[/QUOTE]

I don't think any gods are "used" it upsets them ;)

To my knowledge, Ganesh only appears within the Hindu pantheon
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2008 - 4:54PM #3
luke643
there are gods, but they are not so much gods as they are equivilent to saints in christianity.  however, these are not so much associated with esoteric taoism as much as village style taoism. 

then there are the immortals...
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 6:49PM #4
Eisenhans

Jul 17, 2008 -- 4:54PM, luke643 wrote:

there are gods, but they are not so much gods as they are equivilent to saints in christianity.  however, these are not so much associated with esoteric taoism as much as village style taoism.    then there are the immortals...

Hahahahahahaha!!

No, the deities in Taoism aren't the equivalent of saints in christianity.  (I know because I used to be a christian -- and not just any christian but a catholic.

What are these "esoteric Taoism" and "Village-style Taoism" you speak of?  The latter actually sounds derogatory to me. 

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 6:50PM #5
Eisenhans

Mar 5, 2008 -- 12:05AM, KEM1981 wrote:

Is the elephant headed deity Ganesha used in Taoism?

Nope.  In fact, Taoism doesn't share any deities with any other religion at all. 

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 6:49PM #6
Mak_jo_si

Right, Taoism do not share any deity or immortals with ANY religions at all.  In Taoism, we do not even worship any ANIMAL kind of deity.  All deity are human like.  We do not "worship" them as well, we just pay respect to them and they are just there.  The deity in Taoism do not need people to "worship" or give offerings, they are just there.  Most of the time, deity don't even care about human being, they don't need to, and they are not to save the world.  If you want their wisdom or knowledge, you have to be the one to go ask for the teachings, not the other way around.

People are now being too optimistic and also trying to think that all deity must be good to human but human don't have to pay a thing to the deity... it's like I want many things but I don't want to output a thing.. this kind of mindset is what makes people think all deity are or must be a world saver to be real..  in reality, that's not how it is.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook