Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Looking for good books
9 years ago  ::  Dec 20, 2008 - 12:09AM #1
JR232
Hi, I'm looking for one or two books on Taoism (other than the Tao Te Ching). Basically, I want to learn more about the philosophy of Taoism. I'm looking for books that are good reads, enjoyable, approachable, etc. Something that is easy to get into and delves into the philosophy and will help someone better understand the nature of Taoism and the Tao. Like I mentioned, something that is educational, enjoyable, and a good read. I'm looking to ask for some books for Christmas. This is why I'm looking for recommendations. So recommend a book you think fits these criteria. :)

Also, is the Idiot's Guide/For Dummies versions worth checking out? I saw on the Buddhist forum people recommending them for people looking to learn about Buddhism (saying things like "they are better than you'd expect, haha, that is why I'm asking this).

Thanks for any help. :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2008 - 4:01AM #2
kilgoretrout2006
Hey JR. I think "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff is sort of the acknowledged gateway book into Taoism here in the west. I think some people think of it as being a little too simplistic but it's a cute book and an easy read. And there's a book called "Embarking on the Way: A Guide to Western Taoism" by Solala Towler that I anyway found pretty useful and readable.

I tried one of the "Guide For" books on Buddhism (I can't remember which one.:)) but I found it a little dry so I had a hard time keeping with it.

Luck.

K
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 11, 2009 - 11:49PM #3
miggyswamp
Hi there!

When I was just beginning to explore Taoism, my fiance suggested that I read Deng Ming-dao's book, "Chronicles of Tao".  Deng Ming-dao recounted the journey of a Taoist Master (named Kwan Seihung).  It's honestly one of the best books I've ever read, not only because it helped me gain a deeper understanding about the beliefs of Taoism, but because it is well written and a captivating story.  If you go to the link, you can see the great reviews that people have given it.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Tao-Se … cr_pr_pb_i

I've read a lot of Deng Ming-dao's other books, and they've been fantastic so far.  He does a really great job at explaining the concepts behind Taoism, and offers great explanations of the Taoist texts.  I highly recommend him!!!

I second the Tao of Pooh.  The Te of Piglet is still on my reading list.

Perhaps I am a bit late at answering this question, since you were going to put these books on a Christmas list, but perhaps they will benefit you in the future.  Good luck to you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2009 - 1:55AM #4
publicspeakingnerd
Miggy,

Thanks for mentioning "The Chronicals of Tao". I have it on my amazon wish-list,and it looks like a great book.

The Tao of Pooh is wonderful, I still need to read the Te of Piglet.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Jan 24, 2009 - 5:36PM #5
Whisperingal
A really good book is Wayne Dyer's "Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life."

In it he discusses 82 of the aphorisms from the "Tao Te Ching" using the translation by Stephen Mitchell that so many people here have said so many good things about.

In each of the short "chapters" in addition to the short discussion, he gives some practical ways to apply the philosophy to everyday life.

It is an excellent book and IMO would be a very good intro for anyone who is just coming to Taoism or anyone who is just reading out of interest.

You can find it at most bookst\ores  and at

www.amazon.com

I cna't rceommend it highly enough.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2011 - 1:41PM #6
Eisenhans

Dec 20, 2008 -- 12:09AM, JR232 wrote:

Hi, I'm looking for one or two books on Taoism (other than the Tao Te Ching). Basically, I want to learn more about the philosophy of Taoism. I'm looking for books that are good reads, enjoyable, approachable, etc. Something that is easy to get into and delves into the philosophy and will help someone better understand the nature of Taoism and the Tao.

If you go searching for the Tao in books, you will not find it, no matter the skill of the writer and no matter his/her spiritual background.

In fact, not only will you not find Taoism, you will cloud your way to it.

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook