Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Those Awful Drug Ads....
6 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2008 - 2:16PM #1
Brownowl33
Anyone else hate them?  Every two or three links on here, you get that full page pop-up telling you to demand that your doctor give you Cymbalta or Paxil or whatever for "depression."  Clearly, a lot of people probably join Beliefnet because they need guidance in their life, or are in a tough spot (all the "grief" boards on here for example.)  It sickens me that advertisers are using this to push drugs on people.  Aren't doctors supposed to be the one deciding what to prescribe?  It seems wrong, to me, to encourage mass consumption of potentially dangerous drugs and remedies just to make cash. And it seems wrong of Beliefnet to team up with the drug pushers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2008 - 4:17PM #2
DotNotInOz
Call me old-fashioned, but I'd love a return to the days when it was regarded as unethical for drug companies to advertise.

I bet doctors are beyond sick and tired of patients self-diagnosing and demanding whatever drug they've seen advertised on tv or online that they're convinced will solve their problems and make their lives rosy.

I'm tired of having to flip three pages in magazines to get past all the advisory information and cautionary statements on these drug advertisments. Yes, that's useful information for those for whom a drug has been prescribed. Why it needs to be appended to an advertisement I neither want nor need to see is beyond me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2008 - 8:01AM #3
Brownowl33
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;970865]Call me old-fashioned, but I'd love a return to the days when it was regarded as unethical for drug companies to advertise.

I bet doctors are beyond sick and tired of patients self-diagnosing and demanding whatever drug they've seen advertised on tv or online that they're convinced will solve their problems and make their lives rosy.

I'm tired of having to flip three pages in magazines to get past all the advisory information and cautionary statements on these drug advertisments. Yes, that's useful information for those for whom a drug has been prescribed. Why it needs to be appended to an advertisement I neither want nor need to see is beyond me.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that the US and New Zealand are the only two places drug companies are allowed to advertise.  And you're right, I bet doctors hate it when people see something on TV with vague symptoms, and then demand whatever drug it is that's supposed to make it better.  I don't think people realize that even harmless-sounding drugs can have dangerous or even lethal side effects in some people, and we should avoid as much as possible over-medicating. I have to take multiple medications every day for everything from chronic pain to hypogonadism, and trust me, I wish I could drop all of them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2008 - 2:45PM #4
Evillynnstar
They are horrible and I hate them too. Since drugs have been advertise all over the TV, radio and the internet Americans have been popping pills left and right. I can't talk about any personal issue without someone suggesting that I should see a therapist to take medication. Its like everyone has to be on a pill and like a half a dozen disorders have been invited. I use to get heart burn a lot. So everyone was telling me I had acid reflex disease. That I need to be on medication for that. I took a tea spoon of vinger and the problem went away.
It has gotten out hand. The drug industry is making a killing selling over priced pills. Did you guys see this one pill they had advertised on TV, that was for women suffering from menopause. They warn you not to take this pill if you have a uterus. WTF?? Sorry but that was insane!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2008 - 7:15PM #5
DotNotInOz

Evillynnstar wrote:

Did you guys see this one pill they had advertised on TV, that was for women suffering from menopause. They warn you not to take this pill if you have a uterus. WTF?? Sorry but that was insane!

Actually, that one might not be as nutsoid as it seems on first glance. I know several women who've had hysterectomies but still have their ovaries. They can have hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms even though they don't have a uterus since a lot of the hormone fluctuations are associated with a decline in ovarian function. So there might be some reason for that drug.

That so many pre-menopausal women have had hysterectomies is another issue entirely...and I won't get started on that one.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 5:31PM #6
Evillynnstar

DotNotInOz wrote:

Actually, that one might not be as nutsoid as it seems on first glance. I know several women who've had hysterectomies but still have their ovaries. They can have hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms even though they don't have a uterus since a lot of the hormone fluctuations are associated with a decline in ovarian function. So there might be some reason for that drug.

That so many pre-menopausal women have had hysterectomies is another issue entirely...and I won't get started on that one.

yes I understand that, but the fact that they were advertising this to all women and in their quick and quiet comments about the warnings, they mention "don't take this pill if you have a uterus." But then they also said that this can cause certain kinds of cancers, alizemers, dementia, brain tumors, the list went on. You had to talk to your doctor about getting the lowest dose possible to cure your sympomes. I just couldn't believe they could sell something so dangerous. I know they pulled the drug off the selves after just a few weeks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2008 - 5:31PM #7
Evillynnstar

DotNotInOz wrote:

yes I understand that, but the fact that they were advertising this to all women and in their quick and quiet comments about the warnings, they mention "don't take this pill if you have a uterus." But then they also said that this can cause certain kinds of cancers, alizemers, dementia, brain tumors, the list went on. You had to talk to your doctor about getting the lowest dose possible to cure your sympomes. I just couldn't believe they could sell something so dangerous. I know they pulled the drug off the selves after just a few weeks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 25, 2008 - 6:04PM #8
DotNotInOz
Sorry. Didn't intend to patronize you with my explanation. I didn't catch that the drug was being pushed to ALL women. Agreed that doing so hardly makes sense.

As for drugs that have multiple serious side effects, I think there can be merit to the lowest effective dosage of them for some people. I know a couple of people whose quality of life would be far less without the particularly nasty drugs they take. (You perhaps, Chris, from what I've seen you remark about having multiple health problems?)

I do think, however, that the onslaught of drug ads has served to encourage people to regard some drug as an easier solution than other means such as regular exercise, a healthier diet and the like which could provide the results they desire.

Now, I just need to take my own advice. < shamefaced grin >
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2008 - 7:01AM #9
Brownowl33
[QUOTE=DotNotInOz;977709]Sorry. Didn't intend to patronize you with my explanation. I didn't catch that the drug was being pushed to ALL women. Agreed that doing so hardly makes sense.

As for drugs that have multiple serious side effects, I think there can be merit to the lowest effective dosage of them for some people. I know a couple of people whose quality of life would be far less without the particularly nasty drugs they take. (You perhaps, Chris, from what I've seen you remark about having multiple health problems?)

I do think, however, that the onslaught of drug ads has served to encourage people to regard some drug as an easier solution than other means such as regular exercise, a healthier diet and the like which could provide the results they desire.

Now, I just need to take my own advice. < shamefaced grin >[/QUOTE]

It's important, too, to realize that they have to report every single thing that happened to anyone taking the drug, even if it's drug related or not.  I suspect the commercial we are talking about here is for estrogen, which is actually incredibly safe even in quite high doses WHEN USED PROPERLY.  Most of the supposedly horrible stuff that happens with it (blood clots, stroke, etc) only happen with oral forms, especially Premarin. Patches, injections, and the like have no increased risk of blood clotting (but they can't say that because it's not FDA approved.)   Also, one needs to keep in mind relative risk.  If taking something doubles your chance of getting cancer, that sounds scary....until you look at the fine print, which shows that 1 in 100,000 people getting no treatment develop cancer, and 2 in 100,000 taking the treatment do the same.  That's a doubling of risk, but doesn't sound so scary anymore.

I'm more concerned with the mentality behind it. Drugs have a definite role when you're sick and your doctor prescribes them.  I think it's wrong, though, to advertise them and encourage people to shop out doctors until they find one who will give it to them.  I think it leads to "me, too" syndrome, where people see a drug ad and suddenly "realize" that they have the condition, too (though it never seemed to bother them before.) I am especially disturbed by the mass prescribing of ADHD and anti-depressant drugs, as well as the heavy promotion of stomach stapling surgery.  These 3 really seem to be pushed as quick-fixes for what, in reality, are probably social and psychiatric problems that could be handled in better ways.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2008 - 12:51PM #10
Evillynnstar

DotNotInOz wrote:

Sorry. Didn't intend to patronize you with my explanation. I didn't catch that the drug was being pushed to ALL women. Agreed that doing so hardly makes sense.

No, I wasn't clear about the add. So I wanted to explain more of it to you, so you would understand. I wasn't mad. I'm often blunt, but honestly I rarely get upset over things on the internet. I don't mean to sound angry at all.

DotNotInOz wrote:

I'm not really attacking the drugs. I just feel that they shouldn't be advertised at all, except maybe to doctors in say at medical conferences. Where the doctor can learn about the new medication. The adds are often misleading and to be honest, the patient should not be the one telling the doctor what pills they need. I've gone to the doctor with some of my friends and family, where they just tell their doctors what pills they need. I find that very disturbing.

DotNotInOz wrote:

I agree! Believe it or not, but doing just as you suggest can even help with problems like depression. Who would have though, eating right and exercising might make you feel happier? :rolleyes:

DotNotInOz wrote:

Now, I just need to take my own advice. < shamefaced grin >

Me too! Guilty here!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook