Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

9 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 6:55PM #1
EyesoftheWorld
Has anyone seen this movie with Peter Sellers and Shirley McClaine? If not, I highly recommend it.

Sellers, who's a tremendous actor, plays an unsurpassably simple guy who had been sheltered all his life, and then suddenly ejected into the hustle of Washington D.C.

He reminds me of a Taoist master anyway.
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 6:55PM #2
EyesoftheWorld
Has anyone seen this movie with Peter Sellers and Shirley McClaine? If not, I highly recommend it.

Sellers, who's a tremendous actor, plays an unsurpassably simple guy who had been sheltered all his life, and then suddenly ejected into the hustle of Washington D.C.

He reminds me of a Taoist master anyway.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 11:05PM #3
Whisperingal
Yes I have though it's been some time.

You know--I personally would call the story "Being Here."

That's more in line with my own practices and beliefs.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 2:50PM #4
EyesoftheWorld
that's a good point...  you are the Eyes of the World after all..

though I think the title could have something to do with how Chance/Chauncey had lived so long only seeing things on TV..

btw, you probably don't recall, but the song that's playing when he first goes out onto the D.C. streets is a funky version of  the '2001' theme... "Also Spoke Zarathustra" or something like that... anyway, Phish used to cover that song and I wouldn't be surprised if they heard the version onthe film and that inspired them! that title is also the name of a book by Freidrich Nietzsche too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 4:33PM #5
Whisperingal
Eyes--hi.

Isn't the movie based on a book by....stab here without looking it up-Jerzy Kosinski?

No I don't remember the music in the movie but "Thus Spake Zarathustra"by Richard...Wagner? Strauss?--was made famous by the film "2001 A Space Oddessey."

WGal runs off to look all of this up.....
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 18, 2008 - 8:16PM #6
EyesoftheWorld
yes, t'was a book by Kozinski (sp?)

That is the song you're thinking about. Phish used to do an amazing cover of it. when I saw "Being There" last week and that part (which is early in the movie) came on, I was frozen for about 8 seconds thinking I had heard that song before... it's done with sort of a funk vibe, but it's pretty identifiable, particularly when that "trademark" ascending motif happens... really powerful music there. Phish does a better version than the one on 'Being There', but I hadn't heard Phish's version in years, so it was great to hear another funk-take on it.

Have you read any Nietzsche?
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 1:14AM #7
Whisperingal
Yes--but some time ago.

"Thus Spake Zarathustra" and "Man and Superman."

I don't really remember much of it though. I've read a lot of other things since then.
;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 19, 2008 - 12:34PM #8
EyesoftheWorld
I hear you... "Why I am So Wise" (aka "Ecce Homo", which is very short) and "Will To Power" are two I'd really recommend.

Anyway, at the end of the DVD of "Being There", while the credits are rolling, they show outtakes of a scene which never got into the movie, when Chance is in the rich guy's in-house hospital room, laying down, and relating the exact message the hoodlum told him to convey to 'Raphael'... it's incredibly funny! Sellers cracks up laughing a few times and at least once, someone else in the room starts snickering... but in the last take he nails it! what a scene...

"Do you know Raphael?"
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2011 - 8:46PM #9
Eisenhans

Dec 17, 2008 -- 6:55PM, EyesoftheWorld wrote:

Sellers, who's a tremendous actor, plays an unsurpassably simple guy who had been sheltered all his life, and then suddenly ejected into the hustle of Washington D.C.   He reminds me of a Taoist master anyway.

Ouch.... That's actually on the insulting side, isn't it...? 

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook