Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How To Live a Taoist Life
9 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 5:33PM #1
Whisperingal
Friends--hi. I'm starting this thread because some threads seem to only be interested in words--not in actions.

Taoism is a very active set of practices and beliefs.

I'll be posting some of my suggestions from other threads--and I hope that others will give their ideas and suggestions for how to live a Taoist life.

And please--this thread is about action--not about terminology.

Thanks.

Looking forward to your feedback!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 5:53PM #2
MengTzu
Eat till you're 3/4 full.  Sleep till you are rested.  Focus on the essential sameness between yourself and all things.  Be compassionate to all.  That about sums up my own Daoist essentials.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 6:01PM #3
Chiyo
An excellent observation, 99% of the time... If you have to use force, you're doing it wrong. It's all about "flow".

Examples;

If the key doesn't turn easily in the lock, get some WD40.

If the dog doesn't want to obey, use a dangling treat.

If the shoe doesn't fit, don't try to jam your foot in there, get a larger size.

One doesn't generally strong-arm the boss into giving us a raise - one uses innovation, to impress the boss and to make oneself indispensable. ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 7:04PM #4
EyesoftheWorld
In dwelling, live close to the ground.
In thinking, keep to the simple.
In conflict, be fair and generous.
In governing, don't try to control.
In work, do what you enjoy.
In family life, be completely present.
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 15, 2008 - 11:28PM #5
kilgoretrout2006
[QUOTE=MengTzu;958839]Eat till you're 3/4 full.  Sleep till you are rested.  Focus on the essential sameness between yourself and all things.  Be compassionate to all.  That about sums up my own Daoist essentials.[/QUOTE]

Wait, wait. What about beer? (I'm just saying, we're talking essentials here right?)

:)

PS: I've been doing a little reading when I first wake up, before I even really get out of bed. Just to try to hook myself to a certain state of mind. I think how you start the morning (Or in my case, the afternoon.) can follow you all day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 2:14PM #6
EyesoftheWorld
I'll have my preferences/values, which guide me, but if I'm "frustrated" in any way, I just go with it.

The idea of exercising my will, without lust of result, combined with a filter on all phenomenon as a particular dealing of the Tao with my soul sums it up well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2008 - 9:31PM #7
kilgoretrout2006
[QUOTE=EyesoftheWorld;960595]I'll have my preferences/values, which guide me, but if I'm "frustrated" in any way, I just go with it.

The idea of exercising my will, without lust of result, combined with a filter on all phenomenon as a particular dealing of the Tao with my soul sums it up well.[/QUOTE]

That's great. That's, umm ... Well ...

Okay, I have no idea what you just said. (You have to remember the level of intelligence you're dealing with here okay? :) )
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 17, 2008 - 12:14PM #8
EyesoftheWorld
sorry, kilgore. I blew my own mind on that one... i'll never be able to articulate at that level again... luckily though I'm fixed in the Way now! hooray for me!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 7:12PM #9
Eisenhans

Dec 15, 2008 -- 5:33PM, Whisperingal wrote:

Friends--hi. I'm starting this thread because some threads seem to only be interested in words--not in actions.     Taoism is a very active set of practices and beliefs.     I'll be posting some of my suggestions from other threads--and I hope that others will give their ideas and suggestions for how to live a Taoist life.       And please--this thread is about action--not about terminology.   Thanks.   Looking forward to your feedback!

Little one, if you want active learning, learn from a Taoist master.  Taoism cannot be learned without one.

The basics of a Taoist life?  First of all, be opposed to evil 110%.  Eat well; sleep well.  Live with the wisdom that your Taoist master shares with you.  Exorcise negatives from you every day.  The rest will just about take care of itself.

Ah, but what is evil...? 

This is also something that is not clear without a Taoist guide.  I was tricked into many an evil path before I met my teacher.

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2011 - 4:27AM #10
Mak_jo_si

Evil is hard to tell and hard to see, because it is often disguised as something good on the surface, like sugar coated poison.  Many people like to go to ways that many have followed, but it is not always right.  Many paths are wrong even many have gone through it in the past.  Something can be wrong for thousands of years, but you just don't find the truth to it and so the wrongs just laid there covered up more and more.  Only the one who is open minded enough can see through the flaws and know what's right.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook