Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Do you still follow some of your birth religion's traditions
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 11:26AM #21
spiritalk
A friend of mine says he learned that the Jews take credit for inventing guilt - but the catholics perfected it!  It is something attached to the past - release it. 

There is an exercise in releasing people, places, things we do not wish to retain in our lives: 

Visualize a purple balloon and place your issue within it.  Then visualize a second purple balloon attached by an umbilical cord.  A pair of golden scissors appears and you cut the cords that attach you together.  Be willing to release and see it fly away.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 2:08PM #22
Bob_Bennett
[QUOTE=CLHazz;306272]Hello, I am curious. I was born Catholic and as it is the season of lent I was wondering does anybody else who like me decribe themselves as Spiritual, but Not Relgious still practice some of the relgion that you were born into. And if so do you feel any amount of guilt if you don't completly follow the tradition? An example of today: For Lunch I had a Chicken and Cheese Quesdilla Lean Pocket and it's Friday. I silently said, "Forgive me god" then went about my day. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I, too, was raised Catholic.  I have shucked it all off except for listening to Christmas carols.  My new spiritual path is ACIM (A Course In Miracles).  I do not experience any guilt over it, but still have some emotional tugs for the old ways.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 26, 2008 - 1:27AM #23
red_verge
I was raised conservative egalitarian Jewish, and we attended one of the most diverse and liberal synagogues in the country. Even though my parents raised us pretty consistently with Jewish values, I've always been drawn to Catholic icons, especially the Virgin Mary, and to classical art depicting Greek goddesses and such. My current personal spiritual system is kind of all over the place; there are about twenty different deities on my altar. But even so, I still feel that I have a strong Jewish identity, even if at times it is more cultural than spiritual. I will still go to synagogue with my parents on the High Holidays and attend their Passover seders. Even though it's not necessarily a requirement, I feel a hideous twinge of guilt if I don't go. I'm also still very connected to certain values that are more traditionally Talmudic, like the emphasis on charity and education, and I feel that they have helped to shape a lot of my opinions on other secular subjects as I got older.

I've been reading The Path of Practice by Bri. Maya Tiwari, in which she describes various mindfulness techniques that are based in Indian spirituality. Interestingly, she says that it's super-important for one's spiritual wholeness to make peace with their heritage and who they are, and to embrace the traditions of your ancestors for a more full understanding of who you are. So as one does the Sanskrit chants listed in the book, one shouldn't feel as though they're going against their faith, because the sounds of the chants are universal core sounds that will help you come closer to the experience of your ancestors. It's a beautiful thought.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 29, 2008 - 2:19PM #24
Mintie_2008
I'm a Catholic and until the age of 18 I was very active in the Church. Since age 10 I began to wonder about spirituality, meditation, afterlife, other religion...I'm a very curious person and I believe that knowledge is the key to understanding other people's belief without judgment. I stopped feeling  guilty about this when my priest told me that I don't need to attend mass every Sunday to be a good person, that God is everywhere (yup, he was young). So I'm now 29, still praying, not attending mass as often as I could but I'm at peace with what I believe in and not feeling guilty for searching answers outside my Catholic faith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 17, 2009 - 4:20PM #25
Kindred322

I have to say that I am moved to tears and VERY relieved to hear others are struggling with this, too. It is SO difficult to let go of such dogmatic, rigid, values and beliefs acquired in our childhood. It is really MORE than just letting go of a church or a religion. What I mean is that for those of us who are struggling to break away from their childhood faiths, this is like amputating an arm...is has literally become a part of us! I guess in truth it is more like a leech, draining us spiritually (if it doesnt meet our needs!!!).

As for me, I was born with a natural intuition for earth-based religion. I always had a STRONG sense of the divine in nature, a sense of the Otherworld (as I have had numerous paranormal experiences), and felt a Goddess presence more than a God (Male) presence. But that line of thought was FORBIDDEN by my southern baptist belief system...so I suppressed these natural inclinations. I think someone else has already said it but I will restate this because I think it is so true for me too. I have been doing what is expected not what is right for me spiritually.

I am so glad to have a place like this to relate to others!! many blessings!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook