Switch to Forum Live View The Great Commission
7 years ago  ::  Feb 21, 2008 - 1:18PM #1
DefenderOfTheFaith
Hello!

My reason for being here is solely academic.  I was wondering how someone of the Oneness background would interpret the classic Great Commission verses.  Specifically, I am interested in your view on the verses from Matthew 28:16-20 that say:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

From a Oneness point of view, how do you relate "of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" portion.

Thank you for your insight,

Defender
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2008 - 10:28AM #2
SanctifiedChildofGod
I saw something similar  on here about the great mystery of the Trinity and was really shocked at all things crazy things people said.
The pentecostal church i grew up in was based on Oneness and now Ive returned to a pentecostal church , only difference is they baptize in the titles, yet everything else is done is Jesus name.

Ok so,  I dug in my bible late one night to find this for myself and this  is the ONLY verse in the whole bible to state this right? So then I kept looking and found verse after verse after verse of baptizing in Jesus name.

[QUOTE=DefenderOfTheFaith;303869]

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
[/QUOTE]

So who was speaking in this verse?  (18 *And Jesus came and spoke to them*)
Jesus has all authority, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are just titles.  Jesus is commanding they do this in his name, They are all three one in the same.

I dunno if that answered anything for you, hope I was of some help and if not maybe some one else will

I might be going a little far off for you but I thought Id share some humor,  I went to a revival this past Friday night at a trinitarian pentecostal church, no truer words could he have said and stepped on his own toes. "You cant base doctrine off one verse."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 03, 2008 - 3:04AM #3
helen_febus
[QUOTE=SanctifiedChildofGod;351178]I saw something similar  on here about the great mystery of the Trinity and was really shocked at all things crazy things people said.
The pentecostal church i grew up in was based on Oneness and now Ive returned to a pentecostal church , only difference is they baptize in the titles, yet everything else is done is Jesus name.

Ok so,  I dug in my bible late one night to find this for myself and this  is the ONLY verse in the whole bible to state this right? So then I kept looking and found verse after verse after verse of baptizing in Jesus name.

So who was speaking in this verse?  (18 *And Jesus came and spoke to them*)
Jesus has all authority, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are just titles.  Jesus is commanding they do this in his name, They are all three one in the same.

I dunno if that answered anything for you, hope I was of some help and if not maybe some one else will

I might be going a little far off for you but I thought Id share some humor,  I went to a revival this past Friday night at a trinitarian pentecostal church, no truer words could he have said and stepped on his own toes. "You cant base doctrine off one verse."[/QUOTE]

You are so right little Sister;  Jesus name is the only way.

Thank God for young people who will search out scripture for themselves and then follow the word of God.

May God bless you,

Sister Helen Febus
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 03, 2008 - 3:16AM #4
helen_febus
[QUOTE=DefenderOfTheFaith;303869]Hello!

My reason for being here is solely academic.  I was wondering how someone of the Oneness background would interpret the classic Great Commission verses.  Specifically, I am interested in your view on the verses from Matthew 28:16-20 that say:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

From a Oneness point of view, how do you relate "of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit" portion.

Thank you for your insight,

Defender[/QUOTE]

I believe this Power-Point presentation will answer your question.  Just click the link below.

[COLOR="Blue"]The Name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost[/COLOR]

You will need to use your mouse to click through this presentation.

God Bless You
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  May 12, 2008 - 10:24AM #5
helen_febus
[QUOTE=helen_febus;474412]___________________________

I believe this Power-Point presentation will answer your question.  Just click the link below.

[COLOR="Blue"]The Name of the Father, Son and the Holy Ghost[/COLOR]

A small box will appear which asks for a password, just click on the tab that says read only and this will open the presentation for you.

You will need to use your mouse to click through this presentation.

God Bless You[/QUOTE]

I needed to fix a broken link but did not have the option of editing my post, so I just quoted it and fixed the broken link above.

God Bless
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook