Switch to Forum Live View I'm new to the faith and was wondering...
6 years ago  ::  Sep 13, 2008 - 7:57PM #1
endhatred19
Hey everyone, my name is William and I just started looking into COS.

I have a few questions though, because while I like most of what I see, I'm really concerned about the cost.

How much will I have to spend in order to attend? I've heard that auditing can be expensive.
My other question is who are the guys in the Guy Fawkes masks? Every time I do a web search I get these weird anti COS websites

Thanks~
endhatred19
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2008 - 11:01PM #2
Kudos2Fly
Hi Endhatred,

I just joined this website. I just found it. Its great you are looking in to Scientology. As for the cost, I would start out doing small course. You can get a lot done by doing that.  Plus for the auditing you can do co-auditiing which one person audits you then you audit them its great to do plus it can cut down on the cost. It can be worth while to do it that way.

As for the anti-scientology websites, just make your own decision for your self.  If you feel its the right thing for you then thats what counts. Not what someone else says on a website.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2008 - 8:51AM #3
pete123
Hey,

If you talk to someone at your local church they can always work out something to suit you. Auditing doesn't always have to be expensive, you can be audited by a student auditor which is usually free. :D

The introductory courses are a great way to get started, they are really cheap (between £10 and £20 a course)

As for the anti-CoS websites, you just have to be sensible and come o your own decision. One thing I would say though is that, a lot of the claims made on those websites are by ex-members who have a vendetta against the church and are therefore more likely to exaggerate their claims to get a point across. Do you trust what a stranger in a mask tells you?

Anyway, its great youre looking into Scientology, it really is life changing.

Good luck :D
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2009 - 6:21PM #4
Numb-Coffee
I've been a Scientologist for a year and must say if you've been searching for a religion that works and delivers instant results, you shouldn't look any further.

In regards to getting started, L. Ron Hubbard or LRH as most Scientologists refer to him as, wrote the beginning books of Dianetics and Scientology which we call the Basics. These books contain all of the answers to all of your questions about life and spirituality.

I would recommend though that you hold off on buying the Basic books until you've purchased a great reference handbook called 'What is Scientology?' This is the book I started with and it set me on my journey. In regards to where you can find it, you can get it from Bridge Publications in the USA or if you're in Europe, New Era Publications. If you are very cost concious however you could always get it used, Amazon usually have some nice rates on used books.

Start with that one and never forget to look at everything in life with an open mind. If you do I can promise you will find everything you're looking for.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 03, 2009 - 10:25PM #5
awakened by disbelief

Hello William :)

My name is Jerry.  Exploring one's spirituality and choosing a spiritual path truly is one of those things that we must do as individuals.  It involves much introspection and determining--perhaps for the very first time in your life--what you truly believe as opposed to what your family or friends believe.  Please keep in mind that whenever making such an important decision, you want to get as much information as possible from as many sources as possible.

Last time I checked, there is no law or rule anywhere that says that you have to join or belong to any group or religion in order to be spiritual.  If you absolutely feel the need to join a religious group, however, be wary of groups that attempt to limit your Constitutional rights.  Stay away from groups that dictate who you can or can not associate with.  Freedom of association is your Constitutional right as a U.S. citizen.

For objective information to assist you with your decision you might want to check out the Anderson Report that was published by the State of Victoria Australia in 1965.  I hope that this helps.

Also, any decision you make is not written in stone.  Take your time and make an informed decison.  Don't allow yourself to be pressured into believing what others believe.  Spirituality is a journey not a destination.  Spirituality--like happiness--can not be purchased...it comes from within.  Taking classes will not make you spiritual.

I wish you well. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2009 - 7:49PM #6
Mark.tomles
Timmylee-
Sounds like you're freezone, if I'm not mistaken? It sounds like you've certainly found something that works for you, and I think that's great.
I, personally, may not agree with all of the teachings, but I applaud you for finding your own way in life.
May I ask why you decided to go FZ, rather than "in the fold" of the church?
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 10:26AM #7
phoenix

I'm new too all this and learning. I intend to take a dianetics course and start auditing asap. the dianetics course is 50 bucks and i can get 5 auditing sessions for 125 dollars. People had warned me not to get involved and said it was dark and they had bad exp with people in the church. I dont know what there situation was but i wanted to find out things for myself. I like it so far and find myself "craving it". I'd like to hear others positive experiences.

Phoenix

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2010 - 2:48AM #8
Geoffrey

I have been involved with Scientology for 35 years. I am OT3 which is simply level 3 of the upper levels.

Anyone new to Scientology need only make SURE they understand the words and concepts and gain a reality of their OWN. The reason some lose the plot is that they do not understand the basics and then fall prey to ill-intentioned people who can influence the uninformed. Make up your OWN mind based on what is real for YOU. If you do that I can assure you that you will find true freedom in Scientology. I certainly have.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 13, 2010 - 11:59PM #9
Jehovahs_light

I too have just became involved in Scientology. It started to help my life the moment I put it to practice. If you are worried about costs (I know I can not afford much on my budget) I would start out with some of the free courses online. Here is the link: www.volunteerministers.org Just click on "free training" and follow the instructions. I also would recomend starting out with The Technology of Study course. It may sound borring but after you complete that first, the rest of the courses will go by so much easier because you will have what you need to know to understand how to study and understand the material. I have purchased most of my Scientology books online from Amazon.com and find that they are very very cheap there. The first book I would recomend getting is "What is Scientology" and then the book "The Scientology handbook".

And I wouldn't worry so much about what others say about the Church. No matter what religion you go to you will always find critics and people who have had bad experiences. And no matter what religion you go to you will also find people in it who do not set very good examples of the Church whether its just members or even leaders. Best of luck and hope you enjoy what you learn.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook