Switch to Forum Live View No command to keep the Sabbath in the NT...
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 12:37PM #1
scubadiver
This is a popular statement among those who have been taught without testing.

Jesus kept the Sabbath and taught much on Sabbath keeping.

The Ten Commandments tells us to remember the seventh day to keep it Holy.

Hebrews 4:9 tells us that there still remains a seventh day rest for the people of God.

Some people are taught to believe this rest in Hebrews 4:9 is a spiritual rest we have in Christ. They have come to this conclusion because of the translators use of the word, rest.

This word, (rest) in this verse is the Greek word, Sabbatismos. This Greek word is the word used for the seventh day Sabbath.

The Greek word used for the rest that Jesus gives us is the Greek word,
Anapano.

These are two different words that have two different meanings.

The translator's use of the word, (rest) has misled many people only because they have not tested what they believe.

Now lets read what Hebrews 4:9 literally means.

-- New Jerusalem with Apocrypha
Hebrews 4:9 There must still be, therefore, a seventh-day rest reserved for God's people,

What happens if we don't remember to keep the seventh day holy?

The answer is found within the same chapter.

Hebrews 4:9-11 There must still be, therefore, a seventh-day rest reserved for God's people, since to enter the place of rest is to rest after your work, as God did after his. Let us, then, press forward to enter this place of rest, or some of you might copy this example of refusal to believe and be lost.

So as you can see, there is a very clear command to remember to keep the seventh day holy, just as the fourth commandment says.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 1:23PM #2
andrewcyrus
Amen to that. Hebrews 4 is a very clear new testament support.

Scuba from what I noticed in my searching for churches that truly followed God's word was that the Sunday keeping churches leadership do their best to keep a stronghold of denial over those scriptures.

Once I learned when the Sabbath day began and ended and that it was God's fourth commandment. I was able to reconcile myself with the rest of these new testament scriptures.

Mat 5:19
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Consider the great delusion in not teaching the Ten Commandments already in effect.

Mat 19:17
And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Keeping the commandments assures one of blessing and that of eternal life.

Jesus said:
Jhn 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Jhn 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Jhn 15:10
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love

To love JESUS is to keep the Ten Commandments.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 06, 2008 - 3:14PM #3
scubadiver
[QUOTE=andrewcyrus;746337]Amen to that. Hebrews 4 is a very clear new testament support.

Scuba from what I noticed in my searching for churches that truly followed God's word was that the Sunday keeping churches leadership do their best to keep a stronghold of denial over those scriptures.

Once I learned when the Sabbath day began and ended and that it was God's fourth commandment. I was able to reconcile myself with the rest of these new testament scriptures.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Consider the great delusion in not teaching the Ten Commandments already in effect.

And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Jesus said:

He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love

To love JESUS is to keep the Ten Commandments.[/QUOTE]

Amen and amen...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 3:43PM #4
spudette
That's how I read it too.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 10:44PM #5
madmutt61
[QUOTE=scubadiver;746254]This is a popular statement among those who have been taught without testing.

Jesus kept the Sabbath and taught much on Sabbath keeping.

The Ten Commandments tells us to remember the seventh day to keep it Holy.

Hebrews 4:9 tells us that there still remains a seventh day rest for the people of God.

Some people are taught to believe this rest in Hebrews 4:9 is a spiritual rest we have in Christ. They have come to this conclusion because of the translators use of the word, rest.

This word, (rest) in this verse is the Greek word, Sabbatismos. This Greek word is the word used for the seventh day Sabbath.

The Greek word used for the rest that Jesus gives us is the Greek word,
Anapano.

These are two different words that have two different meanings.

The translator's use of the word, (rest) has misled many people only because they have not tested what they believe.

Now lets read what Hebrews 4:9 literally means.

-- New Jerusalem with Apocrypha
Hebrews 4:9 There must still be, therefore, a seventh-day rest reserved for God's people,

What happens if we don't remember to keep the seventh day holy?

The answer is found within the same chapter.

Hebrews 4:9-11 There must still be, therefore, a seventh-day rest reserved for God's people, since to enter the place of rest is to rest after your work, as God did after his. Let us, then, press forward to enter this place of rest, or some of you might copy this example of refusal to believe and be lost.

So as you can see, there is a very clear command to remember to keep the seventh day holy, just as the fourth commandment says.[/QUOTE]

According to Strong's Concordance, the Greek word used for the Sabbath is "Sabbaton"(4521).  In the text, Hebrews 4:9, the word "rest" is indeed "Sabbatismos"(4520)  But does not at all the Sabbath, the weekly rest. Rather, as Strong puts it, it is the repose of Christianity(as a type of heaven).  So, Scuba, your usage of the word rest does not mean that we are to observe the Sabbath.  That is a wrong conclusion on your part.

You need to read it all in context, not what you want the text to say to defend keeping the Sabbath.  Unbelief , not keeping the Sabbath, is what kept the Israelites from entering the promised land.  Unbelief is what caused them to wander for forty years, a year for each day that the land of Canaan was spied out by those 12 men sent.
The rest in Hebrews 4:9 is indeed waiting for the people of God.  Those who are in Christ. Those who are resting in His righteousness and not their own.  Yes, grace is what saves one when that person has placed their faith in Christ alone.  So I am not speaking about whether one is saved by works.  Either one is saved by grace alone through faith in Christ alone.  Or it is a works salvation, it is either totally of God or not.  For when we are saved, we are saved to perform good works, we would have the desire to obey Christ's commands and follow His teachings-to keep His commandments as He taught them. As the Apostles taught them.

Hebrews 4:9 is by no means a proof text that we are to keep the Sabbath or Sundays as the Lord's Day.  Sorry, but you did come to the wrong conclusion.

Anapauo?  Is that what you meant, Scuba? The rest that Christ gives us?  Please provide chapter and verse where this word describing the rest Christ gives us is used.  You will find this word also in Strong's Concordance(373)

I would be hesistant about saying that people are misled-the same could be said about you, Scuba.  Granted, many accepted some doctrines without being a "Berean" and not checking out what the Bible teaches.  I am not, however, one of those. Yes, quite sure of that.  Do I know it all? Nope!  That is why I take time to ask questions and search out commentaries, dictionaries, even the websites of both sides of the Sabbath issue.

So, again, I will state that the NT has no repetition or reinstitution of the Fourth Commandment.  Not by Christ or His Apostles.  Just as I will also state that there is no command to keep Sundays in the NT.  I have been looking for that commandment to keep Sabbath in the NT or that it has been changed to Sundays.  I have yet to find it.
Nor have you or any other Sabbatarian has been able to show any verse in the NT showing that Christians are to keep the Fourth Commandment.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 07, 2008 - 10:59PM #6
madmutt61
[QUOTE=andrewcyrus;746337]Amen to that. Hebrews 4 is a very clear new testament support.

Jesus said:

To love JESUS is to keep the Ten Commandments.[/QUOTE]

To love JESUS is to keep all His Commandments, not just ten or two.  ALL OF THEM.  And I am not refering to those ceremonial laws either.  I do not divide the LAW  into moral, ceremonial, or civic(judicial) categories.
They are one unit of law God gave to Moses to teach to Israel.  Christ, Moses' superior, kept all the Law.
If I was to follow His example, then I would also keep Passover and the other Jewish festivals in the Law.
He kept the Law.  Otherwise, He would have been counted a transgressor of the Law and would not have been able to be our perfect sacrifice for our sins.

Love, as Paul wrote, is the fulfillment of the Law.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook