Switch to Forum Live View Swedenborg for any Christian
6 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2008 - 11:56AM #1
IscaIonia
Swedenborg for anyone - summary

Our work in the world is vital. We can and should, to the best of our abilities, participate actively in worldly activities and work to improve the world.

Swedenborg’s theology is not a theology of personal sacrifices. Those married, or wishing to be, often have a happier afterlife than those unmarried. Self imposed celibacy, and any other self imposed sacrificial lifestyle, is often a personal negative spiritually.

The Bible is the Word of God (inspired), however various things called the Word in today’s church services are not (not inspired but simply period material). That includes the Acts of the Apostles, Letters of Paul, etc. In practical terms we should not refer to these as the “Word” of God since they are not.

The Bible has an inspired correspondence to each term which when studied helps create a higher understanding. It is not a historical guide.

Wine has a correspondence to truth or divine truth, bread has a correspondence to love or divine love. In practical terms when going to communion we should always take both bread and wine since both love and truth are essential elements of faith.

Underlying intent, or intention, is more the key to right versus wrong rather than a single specific actual act such as a “sin”.

The return of Christ is not a literal return, rather our own individual awakening, or that of our church, as we grow and shed off incorrect notions and learn. In practical terms we should not pray about a literal coming in services, but pray for our own spiritual growth or re-birth.

The book of Revelation is not about destruction of the earth or any other literal interpretation but an inspired account of errors inherent in all individuals as well as the various Christian traditions (a feedback system). Nor is it about the faults of the Catholic Church or individuals alone. In addition to this feedback being related to us as individuals perhaps roughly 60% (+/-) describes errors more typical of the historical Protestant churches, and perhaps 40% is feedback about errors inherent from the historical Catholic belief. In practical terms just as the Book of Revelations addresses in its literal sense the various Christian churches at the time of John, we should look at it as feedback to any and all of us as any kind of Christian.

Creeds creating during the fourth century and appealing to the then polytheistic societies included statements about three “gods”. In practical terms creeds such as the Athanasian creed, though no longer in any common use in the main line Christian churches, should be encouraged to be formally removed.

God did not come into the world to die on a cross to rescue, or save, sinners.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 1:53PM #2
maryrosepotter

The whole christian faith is based on the fact that Christ died on the cross so that all who believe in him may live. Why is Swedenborgianism listed under christian faiths (and I don't mean differentiating yourselves under the 2nd Christian Church)? Why do you think the New Church should be the Crown of all Churches above the christian church? Why are you so anti-christian sending out messages like 'christians say one God but think three'? Why do you think christians are do gooding busybodies? Why do you have to reason God into existence? Why .  .  . ? Why have you turned against the vulnerable amongst you and turned them away? Well thanks for that, I am now very happy being a Methodist. Sorry I am the only one to reply, but I was brought up to study the New Church all my life, and I am well qualified to question you.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 6:33AM #3
IscaIonia

Well Mary I don't think I ever participated in most of those things you reference, so hard to truly understand some of what you mention there. I think sometimes when there is incomplete rejection of the underlying faith without works, faith can be presented in a harsh or bad way. I, like you, believe Swedenborg needs to be presented in a kinder and gentler ways. Some people do that with kids activities, but so too it could be an orphanage, or disaster assistance, or a hospital can do the same but are more accessible to more members than individual work. But individual work is usually where most of us go each day, and it is important we have work that leads us to loving others and not being harsh.

Literalism has also played a largely negative role many times unfortunately but one can tie lliteralism and faith without works too. Swedenborg came from a pretty tough society, one not too familiar with us today and also one I am not all that familiar with at all. Literalism tries to carry that forward but most of that really needs to be left behind.  

I certainly wish you well in your journey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2010 - 4:06PM #4
Sue

I find that reading Swedenborg only enhances my regular beliefs.  I'm still Catholic, but with a Swedenborgian twist.  I spend a lot of mental energy during Mass figuring out the Swedenborgian meaning of everything.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 15, 2010 - 3:32AM #5
Dostojevsky

Iscalonia, i find your statements confusing. Perhaps you have too much to say in a small post in which case better left unsaid.

You said, God did not come to die on the cross to rescue or save sinners. You just made a statement without elaborating. I certainly hope Swedenborg had something worthwhile on the matter.

You made a judgment of who is more guilty, Protestants or Catholics. I fail to see where do you get the authority to take that path.

It's a fine line between intent and the act.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2010 - 6:11PM #6
IscaIonia

Dost, yes sometimes it takes much more reading and time to understand these matters. Sometimes a lifetime, and then some..... Fortunately there are many authors who have created very helpful and certainly more lengthy material.  Please do turn to the Swedenborg Foundation as one source. Perhaps it will be easy to find a much longer book that would appeal in the way you will find of interest. I wish you peace and good luck in your search.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook