Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Are all Taoists nondualists?
9 years ago  ::  Sep 19, 2008 - 2:46PM #41
EyesoftheWorld
Alrighty then! If the Penguin one is on there or if you have read it, I'd love to hear your contrasting of it with Mitchell's!
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 20, 2008 - 8:36AM #42
alyosha77
[QUOTE=EyesoftheWorld;771551]Alrighty then! If the Penguin one is on there or if you have read it, I'd love to hear your contrasting of it with Mitchell's![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the recommended reading, my friends. It good to go the primary source in a good translation. Recently I read the chapter on Taoism is Huston Smith's "The World's Religions." As usual, I underlined a few things. I going to start a new thread on those things that grabbed me about your religion. Perhaps you can provide your comments,
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Sep 24, 2008 - 12:40PM #43
EyesoftheWorld
Hey folks, I just want to put in writing that the Penguin version I read (looked at is more accurate) was the worst I'd ever seen. For some reason, the words "highly recommended" in Leonetta's post didn't register with me or I forgot them when replying.
If anyone recommended that version to you they were being either mean or pulling a joke.
The Penguin version is deplorable. I suggested contrasting it with Mitchell's because that, to me, would be contrasting the worst with the best.

I think I may have inadvertantly given the impression it's good. It's not even decent!
What Fatal Flowers of Darkness Bloom from Seeds of Light!
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2008 - 9:07PM #44
Leonette
Ok, so I'm coming back to this topic AGAIN...lol. I got a different translation of the Tao Te Ching the other day (got to love Amazon and their cheap prices. yay!) I was reading through it and something clicked in my head about this whole discussion. I wanted to try to share it. I hope I can put into words the thoughts in my head. You see the whole thing non-dualism, well, look at the Yin Yang, it's is black and white, but it isn't just black or just white, it is the perfect balance of both. You can not say that it is black because even the black half has the tiny bit of white and vice versa. That is non-dualism. Something is at balance of both sides to where you can no longer say that it is one or the other, it simply is what it is. To me, it means moderation and a middle ground. I hope this makes sense.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 19, 2011 - 6:58PM #45
Eisenhans

Aug 23, 2008 -- 9:08AM, alyosha77 wrote:

Are all Taoists nondualists? (Just so we are clear, nondualism, rejects the very idea of opposites, such as “right/wrong,” “good/bad, ”black/white,” “wet/dry,” “war/peace,” “beautiful/ ugly”, etc. They claim all contradictions are an illusion.) Do some Buddhists believe in the law of noncontradiction which states that a thing cannot be itself and not itself at the same time or same way. (For example: A woman cannot be pregnant and not pregnant at the same time, a cat is not a dog, 2+2 does not equal 5.)

Uh... sounds like some really abstract mind-game stuff.  I don't recall any "dualism" or "nondualism" being even hinted at in any part of my Taoist learning. 

But we are CRYSTAL CLEAR when it comes to good/evil!  You need this strong discriminatory mindset to stay clear of evil. If you don't have it, you're in for some suffering.  (Where there is no wisdom, there is suffering.)

For example, some off-shoot Taoists use ghosts to brainwash people into being sex-crazed.  This is most definitely evil!!  If you think it is good, you'll suffer for it -- Nature will see to that.  Whether you pay attention to Nature's feedback is your own business.

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook