Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2008 - 11:21PM #1
nanalulu222
Hi all, I am not new to beliefnet, but I am new to this board.  I was raised Baptist, but now attend a Methodist Church.  I would like to learn what all the Methodist believe.
Any insight?
I have been attending a few months now, the Church is nice and I really enjoy the people and fellowship.

Thanks,
Nanalulu
Conservative Christian.  Remember: you're unique, just like everyone else.
DJW community host.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 25, 2008 - 10:21PM #2
O.S.Luke
Glad to have you aboard, Nana.

I am a lifelong United Methodist. Are you interested in Methodism in general?

O+
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2008 - 5:09PM #3
nanalulu222
HI O.S Luke!!! I was wondering when I would get a reply! Thank you so much for replying!!!
Yes, I have attended a Methodist Church a few times, and like it, so yes, the general things. And how are they different from Baptist?  That is what I was raised as.

Thanks again!!! And Blesssings to you!
DJW community host.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 11:15AM #4
joyinhim
Welcome nanalulu......
I don't know all of the differences between UM's and Bpts' but UM's are usually sprinkled, no immersed like the Baptists'!

The Baptists I know don't believe that women  should be allowed to preach, and UM's use women Preachers all the time....
But I do know that when the rubber meets the road we all believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and He was crucified, rose on the third and and He is coming back!!!!

There are differences in worship styles, and litergy,,,, but where it is important, we BELIEVE  THAT CHRIST IS LORD!

Hope you are still going to your small church and taking joy in Jesus....
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 9:18AM #5
soulsister
What kind of Methodist Church have you been attending?  I am a United Methodist, but there are others such as, Free Methodist, African Methodist Episcopal, Christian Methodist Episcopal, African Methodist Episcopal Zion.

This may sound confusing, but believe me, there are a diversity of groups that fall under the Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian and other denominations, as well. (smiles)

United Methodists do share many of the basic Christian beliefs as other Christians such as:  Jesus Christ is Lord and savior, who was (as the Apostle's Creed states) conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, He came to live among us as the human presence of God (Son of God).  He preached, taught, healed the sick, casted out demons, performed other miracles while he lived on earth.  He endured rejection, persecution, and was crucified by those who did not believe he was the Son of God, the promised Messiah.  He died on the cross for our sins, but was raised  from the dead three days later.  Those who believe in Him and accept him as Lord and Savior, receive the gift of eternal life.  He sent the promised Holy Spirit to comfort and guide us, empowering us to live as children of God, enabling us to reach others leading them into a saving relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

United Methodists practice the sacrament of baptism, which is open to all people of all ages.  There are three forms of baptism which are practiced in the United Methodist Church--sprinkling, pouring or immersion.  The emphasis is not on how much water is used, but moreso on God's act of claiming one as a member of the family of God through baptism.

There is so much more I could share, but let me encourage you to visit the official web site of The United Methodist Church (http://www.umc.org/) to learn more.

I trust and pray that this has been helpful to you in some way, as you seek to learn more about Methodist churches.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2008 - 1:39PM #6
nanalulu222

soulsister wrote:

What kind of Methodist Church have you been attending? I am a United Methodist, but there are others such as, Free Methodist, African Methodist Episcopal, Christian Methodist Episcopal, African Methodist Episcopal Zion.

This may sound confusing, but believe me, there are a diversity of groups that fall under the Baptist, Nazarene, Presbyterian and other denominations, as well. (smiles)

United Methodists do share many of the basic Christian beliefs as other Christians such as: Jesus Christ is Lord and savior, who was (as the Apostle's Creed states) conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of a virgin, He came to live among us as the human presence of God (Son of God). He preached, taught, healed the sick, casted out demons, performed other miracles while he lived on earth. He endured rejection, persecution, and was crucified by those who did not believe he was the Son of God, the promised Messiah. He died on the cross for our sins, but was raised from the dead three days later. Those who believe in Him and accept him as Lord and Savior, receive the gift of eternal life. He sent the promised Holy Spirit to comfort and guide us, empowering us to live as children of God, enabling us to reach others leading them into a saving relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

United Methodists practice the sacrament of baptism, which is open to all people of all ages. There are three forms of baptism which are practiced in the United Methodist Church--sprinkling, pouring or immersion. The emphasis is not on how much water is used, but moreso on God's act of claiming one as a member of the family of God through baptism.

There is so much more I could share, but let me encourage you to visit the official web site of The United Methodist Church (http://www.umc.org/) to learn more.

I trust and pray that this has been helpful to you in some way, as you seek to learn more about Methodist churches.

Hello Soulsister,

Thank you for your reply!  Yes, I attend United Methodist Church.  And they sound very similar to the Baptist, with the exception of a few minor things.  Yes, I beleive that Jesus Christ is God, and should be worshipped. 
Thanks again for your info, it was very informative.

God Bless

DJW community host.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 18, 2008 - 1:41PM #7
nanalulu222

joyinhim wrote:

Welcome nanalulu......
I don't know all of the differences between UM's and Bpts' but UM's are usually sprinkled, no immersed like the Baptists'!

The Baptists I know don't believe that women should be allowed to preach, and UM's use women Preachers all the time....
But I do know that when the rubber meets the road we all believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and He was crucified, rose on the third and and He is coming back!!!!

There are differences in worship styles, and litergy,,,, but where it is important, we BELIEVE THAT CHRIST IS LORD!

Hope you are still going to your small church and taking joy in Jesus....

Hello joyinhim,

Thank you for your reply.  And yes I agree, Jesus Christ is Lord and should be worshipped!

I am still going to that Church, but it is not small...lol.  It is very big, and I am enjoying very much, thanks.

God Bless

DJW community host.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 18, 2008 - 12:08PM #8
MDW
I have an aunt who is independent Southern Baptist, and we discuss this all the time. In my opinion there are really only a few main differences.

The UMC believes in sacraments, Baptists don't.

The UMC believes in women ministers, most Baptists don't.

The UMC is connectional/episcopal in the government, Baptists are congregational.

The UMC tends to be more liturgucal.

The UMC stresses freewill, Baptists God's power.

The UMC believes you can loose your salvation, many Baptists do not.

The UMC stresses relationship to Christ and helping other, over right doctrine.

UMC members are free to make up their own over doctrine.

The UMC uses Bible (primarily), Tradition, reason/loigc, and experience as guides in matter of faith.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 22, 2008 - 7:34AM #9
Bevo
"The UMC stresses relationship to Christ and helping other, over right doctrine.

UMC members are free to make up their own over doctrine."

This simply is not true.  Just because UMC members are perfectly free to believe whatever they wish doesn't mean that many of their beliefs will not be in direct conflict with official UMC doctrine (Aricles of Religion and Confession of Faith).  For example, a person may deny the virgin birth if they wish, but by doing so, their beliefs are in direct conflict with the church's official teachings (Article II).  And as such, their vows of membership are on most shaking ground.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 27, 2008 - 10:04AM #10
MDW
I wasn't referring to core beliefs in the Christian faith like the Virgin Birth. I was referring others such as the rosary, prayer to the saints, communion, etc. For example, I lean more toward the Real Presence (somewhere between Roman Catholic belief and Anglican/Lutheran belief). The offical teaching of the church is it is a mystery. I was was also referring to the belief that church members are free to choose for themselves what translation of scripture they want to use. Overall, the UMC stresses and supports the core beliefs of Christianity, yet when it comes to the grey areas of out faith, indiviual members are free to make their own decisions.

As for relationship with Christ and helping others over right doctrine, when researching the Methodist faith that was what I have found to be true. Even books on the different faith traditions define Methodism as more concerned with helping others than concerned with doctrine.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook