7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2008 - 6:24PM #1
BillThinks4Himself
Nothing is more stereotypical and cliche-ridden than the specter of an atheist giving the last rights to God but I thought it might be helpful to talk about the situations that behove any reasonable person to pull the plug on this Holy Schiavo.  For me, there are events that cue our collective Barry Scheck ("There, Mr. Feng!") and lay the problem of evil on our very doorstep.

The problem of evil sets up a classic challenge to the likelihood of God's existence.  If God is all-powerful and God is also perfectly benevolent, how can he allow so much evil?  The classic response is that God respects Free Will.  God can't stop the Hitlers, the Stalins, the Saddam Hussein - not because he wouldn't like to, but because doing so would disrupt the point of this existence: Free Will.

But what about those situations where Free Will isn't in any jeopardy?  Doesn't that eliminate God's grand excuse?  Doesn't it leave the emperor without any clothes?

Sure, God routinely allows pedophiles to abduct children  After all, pedophiles need Free Will, even more than children need their innocence, their safety or their lives.  God even lets them torture the children - all in the name of giving Free Will free reign.  We're not supposed to question this arrangement.  We're supposed to blame the pedophile who used his Free Will to commit evil.

But what about when children suffer and die where there was never any Free Will preventing God's intercession?  What are we to make of a God who does nothing when he has all power in the world to save the innocent - and nothing to stand in his way?

Case in point, a woman in Omaha was found dead in her home.  When police went in they also found the body of her toddler, who apparently crawled all over the place, looking for food.  That little guy not only had to spend weeks alone with the dead and decaying corpse of his mother.  He slowly starved to death.  Can you imagine that little tyke's agony?

So, let me get this right.  God can appear to Moses, Jesus, Paul, Muhammad and Joseph Smith.  He could part the Red Sea, make the Sun stand still and feed the five thousand, but he couldn't, and wouldn't, save a child?  Whose Free Will would have been usurped by sending out a dream, an impression or even an odd event sufficient to send somebody to that kid's home?

If I can come up with loopholes and ideas, why can't God?  Is God less creative than I am?  If so, I don't see the point in praising him.  Woody Allen once said that the worst you could say of God is that he's an under-achiever but I think the best you can say is that he doesn't exist.  After all, a non-existent God isn't so hatefully incompetent.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 10, 2008 - 8:00PM #2
rbchaddy2000
The issue about natural evil: earthquakes, tsunamis, and other natural disasters is a classic argument against  an all powerful, all knowing, and all good God. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 8:46AM #3
UnknownLegend
I find it interesting that so-called atheists feel that saying God is dead is such a powerful thing.  If there is no God, why is stating what you consider to be an obvious fact such a powerful thing for you?  So you think for yourself -- are you aware that the overwhelming majority of people - especially those who read and post here -- think for themselves?  Yeah, you're really special and unique -- just like everyone else.  Go find something to do in Real Life, as opposed to harrassing people who disagree with you.  I hear the Flat Earth Society is recruiting for new members.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook