Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Part 1: Are Women Disobedient That Wear Pants To Church?
9 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2009 - 8:34AM #21
Svetlana

I love the argument that women should only wear skirts, because pants are men's clothing.  True enough, but women must also refrain from wearing underwear and stockings if they wish to be all that obedient, because they, too, were originally worn only by men for centuries before women began to wear them.  Lose the heels, too, ladies, and gloves.

What proves the absurdity of this "law" is that those who push it are clearly very ignorant, or they'd realize they are choosing the style of clothing appropriate to each gender very, very arbitrarily, so that each gender will be disobedient at some point in time.  For those fundies who say that they speak of clothing appropriate to the time period, then women in pants is perfectly acceptable, since women DO wear pants in every circumstance in the modern day.  Secondly, the whole "don't wear each other's clothing" business had to do with practices involved in the worship of pagan gods, not with fashion.  It does NOT say women are not to wear men's clothing, it says women are not to wear that which pertains to a man.  Think about it.  The passage is dealing with the worship of other gods and how that is done, NOT with clothing styles.

What fundies also choose to ignore is that the writers of the New Testament, and the people with whom Jesus spent most of His time, were too poor and too busy surviving to have the time to worry about trivialities like types of clothing.  (Paul wasn't poor, but the others were.  They earned their livings and many probably didn't go hungry, but they most emphatically had no room in their budgets to worry about fashion.)  No matter how much you dislike it, context really does matter.

Go right ahead and obey whatever laws float your boat, but don't rebuke others for not doing so when you are making a fool of yourself when you define that law.

Jesus Himself wore a gown as did His mother, and underpants and stockings are men's clothing.  Deal with your own ignorance FIRST, then damn others.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 9:12AM #22
Mary Contrary

Women's trousers are not men's attire, because they are, well, women's. We Eastern Orthodox don't pursue a particularly progressive agenda, but even one of the bishops clarified that officially a few years ago, because there were still priests who refused communion to women in trousers. As far as we're concerned, the case is closed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Oct 12, 2009 - 4:42PM #23
Urukai

Is this article offensive? Uh Yeah. 

BUT

Despite how demeaning, degrading and uncivilized I feel the banning of a piece of clothing and calling it the divine will of God is - would I stop a woman from putting herself through this if it was her spiritual choice - No.

Peace and Much Love

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Nov 05, 2009 - 1:31PM #24
Ladyawhite

Aug 20, 2008 -- 8:56AM, Tmarie64 wrote:

No.  The biblical quote means that women should not try to pass themselves off as men.  If it meant women couldn't wear the same type of clothing women would have gone around NAKED back then because everyone wore similar robes.  Men did not wear pants. Common sense SHOULD dictate that that verse means Women should not try to pass as men.

Exactelt that is what the verse means, what if that's all a young lady has you can't judge them because they have pants on as long as they are praising God in spirit and truth let them wear their pants.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 12, 2010 - 12:02PM #25
Lowyatar

Do you think God really cares what you dress like when you go to Church?  To be honest, the only one's who do are the fellow parishioners who have nothing better to do than to pick out people in a crowd to look down on instead of actually listening and learning about their God.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2010 - 12:28PM #26
Katja144

The underwear thing--since we're resurrecting an old thread--reminds me of a post I once saw on a message board from a lady in a dilemma: a male friend of hers was a single father with two young daughters, and he wouldn't let the girls wear underwear because they were called "underpants" and pants weren't allowed for women.  This lady was asking for advice on ways to convince him that his kids really needed to wear underwear.  Talk about legalism gone waaaaaaay too far...

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 3:23AM #27
rincon4567@comcast.net

LaughingI don't think that God meant in any way shape of form to demean women now or ever? This is back when in those day's there were no other options of clothing for women or men to wear for that matter. Since we have moved on into the NEW MILLINEUM I believe that he doesn't mind if women wear pants, skirts, dresses or a gown for that matter. Otherwise men would be required to wear Thobes, Robes and TOGA's also. Do they want to regress back to the olden days also. IF they do not, then they should very well know that it's up the person how their choice of attire in this day and age of time. GOD BLESS US ALL, HEED HIS WORD WHEN NECESSARY. WHEN IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE LEAVE IT ALONE. amen

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 05, 2010 - 4:05AM #28
karbie

I know that when girls were finally permitted to wear slacks to school in my sophomore year of high school, the principal sent a memo to all the home room teachers to keep a list of any girls who actually wore them as "possible subversives". At the time, I was being less of a reactionary than a pragmatist; the nearest bus stop was 3 blocks from my house, and then we were let off 3 blocks from the school. In the interest of not falling on my tail in miniskirts or catching pneumonia, I wore dress slacks. I liked having my legs warm; that wasn't a protest of any kind because I never did it before it had been approved.

If we went for the original dress code from the Garden of Eden, we wouldn't be wearing anything.

If a particular church has a dress code that you are not able to keep up with physically or financially, try a different church. If the congregation is spending more time checking out and judging what the other women are wearing, they can't be spending enough time on the worship service, hymns, sermon. lessons for the day. that goes for the men, of course. I don't remember any part of "Love thy neighbor as thy self" that included "Judge them by what they are wearing, be it over-the-top or slacks; judge them by the amount of money they can give" or anything about judging others at all.

Is it better to come in slacks if you are handicapped and can dress in them the easiest, especially if you live alone, or better to not attend church at all? I know we didn't have a lot of money, so we gave time and service. The minister who married us put it beautifully" A church is a hospital for sinners, not a museum for saints."

I know that I'd rather hang out with people who want to help others instead of people who puff themselves up because they believe their version of Christianity is the only one that has gotten it right and all the other Christian sects who are doing things differently are all going to Hell for not doing it their way. The one and only possible path to Heaven. My problem with them, with the dress codes, the women who must submit because we were just another piece of property in Biblical times,etc.

Peace on all of us.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2010 - 2:58PM #29
Svetlana

Dec 5, 2010 -- 4:05AM, karbie wrote:

If we went for the original dress code from the Garden of Eden, we wouldn't be wearing anything.

Exactly.  As Ann Landers or Dear Abby used to say, if God had meant for us to run around naked, we'd have been born that way.

If you're going to get all legalistic about what is appropriate for which gender, you'd better pick a time period and have scriptural backup for it, or you'll only look silly.

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2013 - 10:58PM #30
LittleByLittle

It's 2013, Who cares what people wear?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement