Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Religion or Philosophy?
8 years ago  ::  Jun 03, 2009 - 6:17PM #41
woody666

IMHO It's important not to confuse religion with theism, and particularly not to confuse it with the monotheistic abrahamic faiths.

While the majority (most?) of religious people can be considered theists in some form, the terms are not equivalent. There are non-theist religions and even in religions which appear exclusively theistic like Christianity, non-theistic traditions can be found. I believe Taoism is a non theistic religion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 12:15AM #42
Chokmah

Taoism is the Way of No-Way...

"We thought, because we had power, we had wisdom"
      --Stephen Vincent Benet
Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2009 - 12:49PM #43
kbsjhd

I would beware Wayne Dyer. He makes a living at popularizing ideas that are probably best found by the individual's own effort. Taoism is too practical, beautiful, and big to popularize. It is all things and no-thing. Read Chuang-Tzu if you want to get a feel for the humanist, funny aspect, read the Dao de Jing for the mystical yet practical wisdom of very wise men and women.

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2009 - 2:00PM #44
Raven.beliefnet.com

I am a Taoist, but my religion is not what it seems.  The teachings of Lao-Tzu found its way into the British Isles and into the hands of Jessica Frodo (Ariel Merlin), into whom used the material to found her own version of Taoism.  Of course, the Taoism she founded is Celtic, which means the Chinese philosophy is also called Taoism.

So, as to answer your question, I would say that Taoism is both the Chinese philosophy and the Celtic religion.  The yin-yang symbol was drawn by Ariel Merlin so as to represent the paradox of duality -- that every male has a stint of the female and vice versa.  It is up to us to verify my claim.  Since you are wondering if the Taoist faith is real, let me put it this way: although the Chinese words remained intact, the faith of Taoism is based upon the philosophy.  Just remember: "The Tao that can be named is not the Eternal Tao."

Quick Reply
Cancel
8 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 8:49PM #45
Yamabushikaze

Taoism finds its roots in tribal shamanism dating back to between 3000-800 BCE.  Curing the classical period 700-220 BCE it was a mixture of mystic beliefs and with the Lao tsu writing the Tao Te Ching in the Spring and Autumn period 770-460 BCE it was crafted into a philopophical lifestyle involing tribal mysticism and shamanistic beliefs.  It remained solely a philosophy until 206-208 BCE when Chang Tao-ling  in the Eastern Han Dynasty turned it into a religion. It became an orgainzed religion in 219 BCE when Lao Tzu and other Taoist  master were venerated as deities at least in a eastern religious sense. In other words unlike dieties in the west which are treated as gods in the east this takes the form of paying homage and remeberance of elders and ancestors. So this is why many get confused on the religious nature of Taoism.  You pay respects to elders, ancestors, spirits and nature but you do not "worship" them in the same sense as you would a judeo-christian God.  Like most honor and shame societies and cultures like china, it is a matter of paying respect.  A good book to read on the history and details of Taoism is The shambhala guide to Taoism by Eva Wong. This will clear any confusion you have about you Taoist spiritual and philoshophical practices as well any hindrances you may have about approaching such practices.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jul 24, 2010 - 5:01PM #46
random_wanderer

Jan 10, 2008 -- 4:47PM, paulisue wrote:

Hi, I'm still learning about taoism. I heard Dr. Wayne Dwyer once speaking about Lao Tzu and said that he would be shocked if anyone called taoism a religion. It is solely philosophy. So I was curious what the rest of you though. Is taoism a religion or a philosophy. Are there solidly religious aspects in taoism?

There is a big paradox here, because the answer to this question depends entirely upon the interpretation of the meaning of the words religion and philosophy, where as much of the focus of Taoism is upon transcendance from the dualities created by words...perhap this question is irrelevent mind ramblings for irrelavent mind ramblers (referring most specifically to myself), but useless ramblings have their uses in the natural order of things. 

If it were to be catagorised as either religion or philosophy, then it would be limited to this particular polarity and therefore would not be Tao.  Therefore Taoism can neither be religion nor philosophy....or perhaps Taoism is irrelavant to the Tao! Laughing

The map is not the territory ~ Alfred Korzybski

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 9:11PM #47
Eisenhans

Jan 10, 2008 -- 4:47PM, paulisue wrote:

Hi,  I'm still learning about taoism.  I heard Dr. Wayne Dwyer once speaking about Lao Tzu and said that he would be shocked if anyone called taoism a religion.  It is solely philosophy.  So I was curious what the rest of you though.  Is taoism a religion or a philosophy.  Are there solidly religious aspects in taoism?

#1: Wayne Dyer is not an authority on Taoism -- not by a long shot.  At best, he is a new-age guru.

#2: There is no philosophical/religious split in a Taoist's mind.  Taoism is a practical system that yields tangible rewards in this life.

Eisenhans

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 07, 2011 - 1:20PM #48
Mak_jo_si

very straight forward.

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 09, 2011 - 12:06PM #49
jbkranger

My understanding is that there are two distinct "schools" of Taoism-Religious and Philosophical. That is one of the things that attracts me most. I am an agnostic and consider myself a Philosophical Taoist

Joey

Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 09, 2011 - 12:06PM #50
jbkranger

My understanding is that there are two distinct "schools" of Taoism-Religious and Philosophical. That is one of the things that attracts me most. I am an agnostic and consider myself a Philosophical Taoist

Joey

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook