Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Dr.s Must Treat Gays and Lesbians
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 3:47PM #1
dblad
(08-18) 12:53 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- California doctors who have religious objections to gays and lesbians must nevertheless treat them the same as any other patient or find a colleague in the office who will do so, the state Supreme Court ruled unanimously Monday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/18/BA2212D6H4.DTL&tsp=1

The Religious Right must be seething at the cuticles at this bit of news. HeHe

:D
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 3:51PM #2
dblad
"The ruling, based on a state law prohibiting businesses from discriminating against customers because of their sexual orientation, comes three months after the court struck down California's ban on same-sex marriage."

"This isn't just a win for me personally and for other lesbian women," said the plaintiff, Guadalupe Benitez. "Anyone could be the next target if doctors are allowed to pick and choose their patients based on religious views about other groups of people."

:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 10:36PM #3
TPaine
At least the California Supreme Court still understands the concept of equal rights. I guess because Bush didn't get to appoint any of the Justices.
"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 10:42PM #4
Sacrificialgoddess
I have a problem with the idea that this was even an issue.   People are people, and when they are sick they should be treated, well, as people!  :rolleyes:
Dark Energy. It can be found in the observable Universe. Found in ratios of 75% more than any other substance. Dark Energy. It can be found in religious extremists, in cheerleaders. To come to the conclusion that Dark signifies mean and malevolent would define 75% of the Universe as an evil force. Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed.

-- Tori Amos
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 11:01PM #5
itty
One more for the good guys! It's a damned shame the issue ever had to go to court. I am very happy for the outcome.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 19, 2008 - 11:16PM #6
JohnQ
Pat Robertson is just shocked at this.  He said: "Since when is giving fertilization to a lesbian woman medical treatment?   This is just another example of radical judicial activism."
Peace!                 
------

Christian LIES wed Christian HATE......Begot a child....it’s named Prop 8! 

Supreme Court let it stand.....which means we can vote away the rights of others in our land.

Sad as that may be...it hurts all of us.....not just me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 10:36PM #7
DGMelby
[QUOTE=Philosopher Plebian;703650]Well, what Pat Robertson says doesn't matter, because nobody (above a certain IQ level) cares about what he says.[/QUOTE]I've always considered this foolish thinking.

Successful deceivers aren't successful because they're dumb.  They're successful because they're smart, and the Religious Right have an awful large amount of smart people in their leadership.

People listen to Pat Robertson not because they're dumb.  They listen because most people are emotional thinkers, not rational ones.  And the Religious Right are very good at fanning the flames of fear and hatred.  Once you get someone reacting from their gut, rather than their brains, you can get them to jump in the direction you want them to.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 11:17AM #8
dblad

DGMelby wrote:

They listen because most people are emotional thinkers, not rational ones. And the Religious Right are very good at fanning the flames of fear and hatred. Once you get someone reacting from their gut, rather than their brains, you can get them to jump in the direction you want them to.

Yes! It reminds me of how the much of the German public were willing to follow Hitler because they had been so brainwashed all their lives to follow their leaders. They used so-called scripture in those days to back-up their hatred of Jews and homosexuals, just as the RR today does the same.

:mad:

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 12:02PM #9
ZenYen
I don't think Pat Robertson is stupid. Evil, sure. But not stupid.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 11:17AM #10
dblad

DGMelby wrote:

They listen because most people are emotional thinkers, not rational ones. And the Religious Right are very good at fanning the flames of fear and hatred. Once you get someone reacting from their gut, rather than their brains, you can get them to jump in the direction you want them to.

Yes! It reminds me of how the much of the German public were willing to follow Hitler because they had been so brainwashed all their lives to follow their leaders. They used so-called scripture in those days to back-up their hatred of Jews and homosexuals, just as the RR today does the same.

:mad:

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook