Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View drive how far for DoC church
6 years ago  ::  Aug 15, 2008 - 11:23AM #1
stonecampbell74
Hi all.  I just thought I would see how far everyone drives to go to a DoC church.  I'm probably going to transfer my ordination/standing to DoC.  Problem is I'm in Georgia aren't may DoC churches in my area, not like Kentucky and the mid west or Texas.  There is one within 14 miles of my house but they do not have much of a children's ministry for my kids.  There's another we will visit that looks to have better programs for my kids, but it is 25 miles away.  Ouch.  But I might not have much of a choice! 

I would also be curious if any of you came to the DoC from another denomination, especially if any of you transferred your ordination/standing to the DoC.  I'm from the independent church I am way to progressive to be accepted by the majority in this circle.  I've flirted with leaving the independents for 5 years or so and I'm finally ready to go, just not sure where I will go?  DoC seems the most logical place, but don't want to limit my search. 

thanks all.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 16, 2008 - 11:12AM #2
mecdukebec
I drive one hour to preach at a UCC church, although I am DoC ordained, still am, but have UCC Ordained Partnership status, which puts me in this UCC congregation.  As to the nearest DoC church, it`s about the same distance.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 18, 2008 - 5:26PM #3
Campbellite
You might want to check out the DoC website which has links to the various regions and listings of congregations. There might be one closer to you than you think.

I am a dyed in the wool DoC. Fifth out of seven generations in the same congregation. I now live two states away from my home church, but the one i now belong to is only 1 1/2 miles from where I live.
You are unique.
Just like everybody else.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 20, 2008 - 7:32PM #4
stonecampbell74
The closest DoC church is 14 miles, the next closest is 25 miles after that I'm in Atlanta and there are obviously more choices there, but it would be hard to be very involved in a church that far away.  I'd love to live in Atlanta, maybe one day?  I found those churches through the georgia disciples website.  There are so many suburbs in Atlanta without disciples churches! 

Will visit the one that is 14 miles away but we visited it a few years ago and there weren't many children or children's programs.  We shall see.

Mecdukebec  Please tell me what your screen name means!
And please tell me how you like the UCC.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 21, 2008 - 7:12PM #5
revkag77
I moved my ordination / standing to the DOC 11 years ago after serving Independent Christian churches since 1982.  I found the process to be interesting, enlightening and mostly painless.  It has been a good move for me.  I'm sure I am on the conservative fringe, but certainly more at home...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2008 - 9:34AM #6
stonecampbell74
Revkag, I am intrigued, your story might be very helpful to me.  I earned M.Div at Emmanuel School of Religion.  And have really been trying to put me, a square peg, into a round hole (the independents) since probably 1999 or 2000.  It's tough to leave what you know, and part of me says if I leave, and other moderate/progressive types leave what will it become?  On the other hand I don't want to fight for the next 30 years to maybe see women's roles expanded.  That's something I think should be a reality now!  And I'm the minority voice.  In the DoC I think I would be a moderate, so if you feel "at home" being more conservative perhaps that should tell me something. 
Thanks for posting
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2008 - 10:12AM #7
revkag77
I did a graduate degree at Hope International (Pacific Christian College) and found them to be very progressive and open, yet theologically and biblically conservative.  They really opened me up to take a long look at traditional roles  and what "church was all about."  Being from Emmanuel, you might know Dr. Michael Dunn, who is the Pastor of the First Christian Church (DOC) in Houston.  He might be a good contact for you as you are considering a move.  I'd be glad to visit with you and help in any way I can, as well.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2008 - 3:39PM #8
stonecampbell74
[QUOTE=revkag77;708829]I did a graduate degree at Hope International (Pacific Christian College) and found them to be very progressive and open, yet theologically and biblically conservative.  They really opened me up to take a long look at traditional roles  and what "church was all about."  Being from Emmanuel, you might know Dr. Michael Dunn, who is the Pastor of the First Christian Church (DOC) in Houston.  He might be a good contact for you as you are considering a move.  I'd be glad to visit with you and help in any way I can, as well.[/QUOTE]

Revkag,
   I don't know Michael Dunn, but I know of him.  I know another georgia friend who attended ESR and worked with Dunn at downtown cc in Johnson City.  Then I knew the next youth minister that worked with him as well, though I never met Michael Dunn.  I think we were part of the same commencement, he with the D. Min. and I with the M. Div in 2000.  Thanks for your help and offer.  I have a couple of contacts that made the move as well and have visited with them regarding the transfer.  I looked into it several years ago and decided to give the independents one last try.  But I've reached the end of that last try.
   So you are in Texas now?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 1:49PM #9
slu_magoo
I know a great, recently-retired DoC minister named John Autry, who was initially a CC/CoC minister.  He's either in GA or AL right now; he takes interim assignments since retiring.  Fairly conservative to moderate.  Good guy.  If you run across him in your journey, pick his brain.

James Brewer-Calvert at First Christian Church (DoC) in Decatur GA is a good friend of mine.  He made the transition to DoC from UCC.  He might be able to help you wade through the process in the Georgia region.

Best wishes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2008 - 1:49PM #10
slu_magoo
I know a great, recently-retired DoC minister named John Autry, who was initially a CC/CoC minister.  He's either in GA or AL right now; he takes interim assignments since retiring.  Fairly conservative to moderate.  Good guy.  If you run across him in your journey, pick his brain.

James Brewer-Calvert at First Christian Church (DoC) in Decatur GA is a good friend of mine.  He made the transition to DoC from UCC.  He might be able to help you wade through the process in the Georgia region.

Best wishes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook