Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 8:28PM #1
seventhcrow
I was poking about on the Discussion board and saw some interesting stuff being posted. I refrain from posting there because of the signal-to-noise problem of the resident troll. I would enjoy discussing some of the topics I've seen there, however, here on the Community board. I just don't know if folks would be interested in rehashing those topics here.

Anybody up for it?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 01, 2008 - 9:32PM #2
tameless_heart
We typically are. If you repost the topics you would like to discuss free of troll, I for one would be happy to oblige a discussion. ^_^
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 5:31PM #3
Feinics
Im in too!! :)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 7:41PM #4
KARD9000
I might be willing to join in if possible.  I can only handle one troll per online experience!! :)  I have one in another forum already.  Met my quota. ;)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 8:31PM #5
seventhcrow
Well, cool!

There are some interesting topics in one troll-infested thread that I think would be good for discussion among reasonable peope (or as reasonable as we can manage to be). The topics are of the sort where I'd love to hear about both modern and ancient thinking on the matter, with comparison and contrast offered by a variety of modern Pagans.

Let's see, digging through the thread--

How do we know truth? Is there such a thing as objective truth? Is all subjective?

What about salvation? Does humanity need it in any form?

What about sin? What different concepts of sin are there?

Nature of the gods?

What are proper relations between humans and deities?

What is the scope of the power of the gods?

Nature of divinity in general? Only the gods? Humans, too?

WHat about moral agency? Are moral choices to be made purely with regard to individual circumstances? Choices consistent regardless of circumstance? Best made with guidance from others? Made in accordance with religious/mythical/scriptural dictates?

Sadly, my work involves me being out-of-town for part of each week, so this may become rather involved before I get the chance to check in on it. I imagine it would prove more manageable to use a single thread for each topic, as posts could get quite lengthy if examining them all at the same time!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 8:57PM #6
seventhcrow
[QUOTE=HexPainter;182741]I'm ready for civilized troll free discussion!  [/QUOTE]

Yeah...there was so much good stuff appearing in the posts responding to the troll. I find it a bit of a waste that all that information isn't in a healthy thread.

[QUOTE]
Hey Seventh we crossed...   I was going to try and answer...   but then as you said they could get deep...  I'll follow "Lead Away!"[/QUOTE]

How 'bout we start with the last topic--moral agency?

What guides--or should guide--moral choices? Is the believer (for lack of a better term at present) wholly responsible for all moral reasoning and choices, or does a codified guide exist to which the individual should defer--is moral agency invested wholly in the individual or in a group process (codification) of some sort?

(Should this be busted out into a separate thread?)
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 9:09PM #7
Feinics
I say pop it on to a new  thread and see where we go!

It would be interesting to see if, despite the variety of paths under paganism, there is a common thread of moral guides within it or if there is completely different moral approaches.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 02, 2008 - 11:00PM #8
TheWhiteHart
New thread, yes. It won't get lost that way.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 12:07AM #9
tameless_heart
but one question at a time!! lol overload!!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 03, 2008 - 1:25PM #10
PomegranateStaindGrn
seventhcrow,

I do hope that you get around to this again.  I agree with the others - I'd love to tackle the questions but because each one could become quite involved I'd like to see each get its due by having its own thread.  If you're unable to get around to it, let someone know and we'll be sure to get a thread started for each question and really sink our teeth into them! 
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook